Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #81

City: Gainesville, FL
"I like big butts and I cannot lie". Funny stuff Larry - all except that "wallowing" comment! LOL

Hi Henry. Hope you guys are doing well (and staying warm!) I PM'd you the link to all the photos I have of your boat. Unfortunately, I was not with Mirage when Alonzo's Sea was built, so I have no construction photos. All I have, as you will see when you go to the dropbox, is about 80 hi-res pics that were taken during a photo shoot of the finished vessel. You might contact Travis to see if he'll look for whatever construction pics of your boat they might have and upload them to a dropbox.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #82

City: Kalamazoo
Now this is what I call Good Reading !!
Thanks Eric and everyone for all your time and effort posting these pictures and most valued information as well. Yep, we shall have one of these soon enough that's for sure !!
Have a great week end
Jim

Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 AM   #83

I have a question that perhaps might seem dumb to you GH veterans but for us and not yet actually got to do the walk through yet (in person) can not truly tell from the pictures.

Ok I am posting a picture of Shalala (2009 N47) the flybridge. If you notice where the lower unit of the outboard sits. Now then what I am asking is this....... Can the end seat cushion be lifted up and the outboard tilted up higher so as to scoot the tender back. Other pics show the room between the tubes and the seats. I just did not know if the seat coushin (end ) could be removed or raised.

My concern is this tender does sit pretty far over the aft of the boat and is always hooked up with the boom in every picture I have and I have a ton.
Thank You
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4781202_20140807111650354_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	35521  
Old 12-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #84
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
"I like big butts and I cannot lie". Funny stuff Larry - all except that "wallowing" comment! LOL
I speak admiringly of that feature, guys, as I do the entire boat. If you're passing by me on the water, you'll notice how long I'll be standing out on the boat deck watching you wallow into the horizon. Great little ships.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #85
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Older GH37's

There are 4 2000-2001 GH37's listed on Yachtworld and one newer GH37. Are there any model specific issues with the 2000-2001 GH's? Is the construction similar to the later models?
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #86

Thanks Larry! I know how you feel about Great Harbours!

And Jim, as far as dinghy mounting, the owner of Shalala had his dinghy repositioned like that well after the boat was built. There is one other N47 like this and one or two N37s set up this way (picture 1). I don't like the dink in that position, personally. I think it cantilevers WAY too far off the aft end. If you look at the second picture, you can see the port flybridge settee before the cushions were installed. So, it's pretty obvious that if you wanted to relocate the whole dinghy farther forward, you would have to do some 'glass work. The "standard" mounting of the dink is at an angle across the aft section of the hardtop, behind the seating. The drawback to the standard position - and the reason some of these boats were changed is that the 30hp outboard on the 12' Caribe extends about a foot out beyond of the hardtop on the port side. This can interfere with locking through if you are tied up to the lock wall on that side (of course, in that case, I just hip tow the dink anyway!) Another option would be to only mount an 11' dinghy with 20 horse engine. This would not extend beyond the hardtop at all.

Finally, Donsan, the major differences between the early boats and later boats would be the size of the props (later boats have the large 24" diameter props), size of the motors - some early boats came with 3-cylinder, 39hp 3JH3 Yanmars and others came with 4-cylinder 56 hp 4JH3s while a few of the much later boats had the lower rpm 54hp 4JH4s, SS rails vs. tigged aluminum, oil-rubbed interior mahogany versus polyurethane, side-opening portlights versus the later stainless lift up portlights with drip spouts, and other cosmetic differences. Also, most of the later boats had the excellent ZF-Mathers electronic controls and some had a molded fiberglass saloon sole (with teak/holly over it) versus a 2x4 and plywood sole (again, with teak/holly.) But to answer your question directly, there are no inherent issues at all with a well-maintained GH of ANY vintage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinghy Move 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	35528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy Mounts.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	35530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy Standard Location2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	35531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy Standard Location3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	35532  
Old 12-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #87
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Thanks Larry! I know how you feel about Great Harbours!

And Jim, as far as dinghy mounting, the owner of Shalala had his dinghy repositioned like that well after the boat was built. There is one other N47 like this and one or two N37s set up this way (picture 1). I don't like the dink in that position, personally. I think it cantilevers WAY too far off the aft end. If you look at the second picture, you can see the port flybridge settee before the cushions were installed. So, it's pretty obvious that if you wanted to relocate the whole dinghy farther forward, you would have to do some 'glass work. The "standard" mounting of the dink is at an angle across the aft section of the hardtop, behind the seating. The drawback to the standard position - and the reason some of these boats were changed is that the 30hp outboard on the 12' Caribe extends about a foot out beyond of the hardtop on the port side. This can interfere with locking through if you are tied up to the lock wall on that side (of course, in that case, I just hip tow the dink anyway!) Another option would be to only mount an 11' dinghy with 20 horse engine. This would not extend beyond the hardtop at all.

Finally, Donsan, the major differences between the early boats and later boats would be the size of the props (later boats have the large 24" diameter props), size of the motors - some early boats came with 3-cylinder, 39hp 3JH3 Yanmars and others came with 4-cylinder 56 hp 4JH3s while a few of the much later boats had the lower rpm 54hp 4JH4s, SS rails vs. tigged aluminum, oil-rubbed interior mahogany versus polyurethane, side-opening portlights versus the later stainless lift up portlights with drip spouts, and other cosmetic differences. Also, most of the later boats had the excellent ZF-Mathers electronic controls and some had a molded fiberglass saloon sole (with teak/holly over it) versus a 2x4 and plywood sole (again, with teak/holly.) But to answer your question directly, there are no inherent issues at all with a well-maintained GH of ANY vintage.
Thanks for all the great information and pictures you have posted on these boats. I do love the boats. Wish my budget loved them too!
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #88

BY the way, all four of those pictures in my last post were of the exact same boat. The folks that own it live on the water in a neighborhood off the ICW in South Carolina and their canals and lagoon are entered through a quite narrow lock. So, they moved the dinghy - and added a stainless prop rod between the stern rail and the hardtop to help support all that cantilevered weight.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #89

Thanks Eric,
I know that the 2008 N47 (Gale Force) has the tender set up on the for deck just as "Spoonbill" did but dont ya know that some one here, ( wont mention any names lol) is stuck on the 09 Shalala and I admit I do like the interior of shalala very much as well. For some reason, perhaps the brighter color of the wood or something.

The boom or lift or davit or crane or hoist or what have you is probably anchored during the build I would inmagine. I mean it would probably be more work if at all possible to move it to the for deck.
So what can you do ? I sure do not want a smaller tender.

I told Gina if I was to have a new one built I would have them build a simple flybridge. Meaning the front and side walls with 2 seats and controlls and the rest open and place a larger fishing tender up there. I mean with the front and side walls of the flybridge you could be sure that the tender would be more protected from the wind. Kind of like we did on a big trailor one time, of course without the controls and seats....lol

Maybe I will just carry three canoes up front and tie them together and add my portible outriggers I built for another canoe and call it good !
Any way thank you so much for all your help and info
Soon to be an owner of lol
Jim
Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #90

I think that Shalala is a beautiful boat. The owner (an airline pilot and former Marine) did a great job decorating that boat, and it is one of the later boats with the light-colored, unstained American cherry interiors. I ran Shalala from Green Cove Springs down to Ft. Lauderdale when she was new as a training cruise for the owner. Along the way, we stopped in Stuart to show the boat at Trawlerfest. She's the only Great Harbour that I know of with FLIR. Drop down the saloon TV, turn on the FLIR, and you can run the ICW at night with impunity.

Yes, Gale Force has her dinghy on the foredeck. It is really the only place on the boat that will hold a dinghy that large. You COULD add a hydraulic luffing, 1,000 lb. deck crane to the bow of another boat, but it's a major ordeal ($$$$). Also, keep in mind that even if you were building a new N47, the pilothouse roof DOES have a max weight limit, so you can't go crazy and put a 20' center console up there! Gale Force was the first N47 and was built for a retired Pediatrician who is a very close friend of Ken's. She is an absolutely beautiful boat that is equipped really well with pretty much every option and has LOTS of extra unique touches. She also has the more traditional mahogany interior. I have also cruised extensively on this yacht (Jacksonville to Annapolis for the boat show, throughout the Abacos, etc.) and she handles and runs beautifully.

You can't go wrong with either boat, but for me? I would most love to own Gale Force. I have attached a few pics of her...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gale Force in the Abacos.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	35580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gale Force and her dink.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	35581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gale Force Okeechobee Waterway.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	35582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gale Force Tortugas.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	35583  
Old 12-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #91
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Great Harbour N37 Young America at our dock yesterday

What is the max weight limit for a dink on the bow(N-47)? Just curious, as we're factoring that in when we look for our next boat.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #92

Well, due to the fact that the N47, especially, has a tremendous amount of reserve buoyancy at the bow, a heavy dinghy on the bow actually helps the boat perform better - even if it does restrict forward visibility. The limiting factor would be the structure beneath the deck. And that is a question for Ken Fickett. But if I had to guess? Somewhere in the 1,200 lb. range...
Old 12-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #93

Thanks Eric,
You know in that first picture looking at the CC sitting beside Gale Force makes me think that with a dinghy/ tender like that you got your self a deal....Just teasing,,
Thanks for the pictures......

I figured there would be weight issues on the Pilot house roof but I have been thinking along the line of an aluminum tender since I will spend half the time in fresh water. Can pick up a new 12 to 17 foot fairly cheap and still be way under weight. Just a thought and not written in stone.

What I want is something I can take into canals and back bays as well as some open water like around Dixie bar for some red fish and rivers......and will feel safe to any passenger too.
I mean I can fish the N like crazy but thought I might enjoy getting out and not dealing with draft some times...... For that matter.............I can deal with anything and make it work and what is there is there.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #94

All of what you say is true Jim. However, if you're serious about fishing and really want a nice tender, then just completely forego the idea of storing it on the boat and tow a nice big center console. There are several Great Harbour owners who do just that. We have towed our Mirage 15s and 21s back and forth from the Bahamas and up and down the east coast with the factory charter boats. A Great Harbour N47 towing a Mirage DIESEL 21 is just about the best of all worlds. AND, you can even fuel the 21 from the 47's massive tanks (even though the 21 has a 500-mile range on her own tanks!)

By the way, that Center Console rafted up to Gale Force (at Little Harbour, Abaco) is a Yellowfin 34 and belongs to the guy who owns Roll N Lock Corporation - the company that I CURRENTLY work for!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21 CC Camm.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	35606  
Old 12-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #95
Guru

Oh, Brother. Just what I needed.....another Mirage boat to lust after. I would like it equipped as above, please.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #96

Larry, when you say "lust after" and "equipped as above", are you really referring to the boat?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #97
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Thanks for the info.

That console is way too far back there is no room to fish. IMO.

On another note Mirage made a 41 or 40 flybridge sportfish which I really like, been on the market for awhile.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #98

As a side note, the blonde driving was our office girl and had NO idea how to run a boat. I got it up to speed, stood her at the controls, and then hid behind the starboard gunwale so photos could be taken! Also, that boat is a 2008 factory demo and available on Yachtworld...
Old 12-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #99

Arrow

Oliver, it has more room than you think. It's a Volvo D3 DuoProp with the longest jackshaft allowable. The console tilts electrically for full access to the engine and no motor box aft. Wide boat, self-bailing with lots of fishing room. Had it down here in South Florida all year and just took it back to Ken about two weeks ago. Great boat. Dry, comfortable ride and 5 mpg at 30knots (100 gallon diesel tank).

And that 40 or 41 foot sportfish was from a different Mirage company. The biggest sportfish THIS Mirage has built is 32'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	35628  
Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Larry, when you say "lust after" and "equipped as above", are you really referring to the boat?
It wouldn't be fair to be discriminate about the boat's equipment. Equipped as shown, the package could serve me well. I'd suggest that Mirage hold on the vessel and offer a "bare boat" charter as equipped.