Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #61

City: Gainesville, FL
...and here are a few more tank shots. The first two show the fiberglass fuel polisher return pipe, which is INSIDE the tanks and returns polished fuel to the forward end of the tank (draws from the rear, obviously). The next one shows an N47 with the tanks pre-baffling. Pics 4 and 5 show the Mirage fiberglass crew laying up the tank tops on Joe Pica's boat, Carolyn Ann. Finally a couple pics of an N37 with completed and pressure tested tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N47 Tanks return pipe.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	35450   Click image for larger version

Name:	N47 Fuel Tank with return Pipe Aft.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	35451   Click image for larger version

Name:	N47 Tanks pre-baffle.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	35452   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-30-06 Glassing the Tank tops 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	35453   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-30-06 Glassing the Tank tops Carolyn Ann.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	35454  

Name:	N37 with finished tanks.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	35455   Click image for larger version

Name:	N37 with completed and pressure tested tanks.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	35456  

Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #62

This is the last group for the night. First is a pic of the bow thruster cutout on a 37. The thickness is hard to judge from the pic - but I know from experience that it is right around two inches. The next two pics are of a vacuum bagged N37 deck curing. Next, an N47 engine room and bosun's locker. And, finally, a deckhouse in the mold - and completed and ready to mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6-12-07 Bow thruster cutout.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	35457   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-16-06 Vacuum-Bagging the Deck2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	35458   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-1-06 Molding the Nidacore into the Deck.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	35459   Click image for larger version

Name:	N47 Bosun Locker & Engine Room.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	35460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deckhouse mold N 1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	35462  

Name:	1-9-07 Deckhouse.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	35463  

Old 12-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #63
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N-37
Smile

Eric, Thanks for the walk down memory lane. There is no question that these boat are incredibly stiff and strongly built. They will enjoy a very long life
Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #64
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Here are a couple pics when Young America and Carolyn Ann where at Paris Landing a couple months ago . I'll have to do two post. I haven't figured out how to get two pics in one post .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	35470  
Pack Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #65
TF Site Team

Here is the other .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	35471  
Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #66

By the way, if you look at the second picture in Post #60 (pics of N37 hull being flipped over), you will notice an orange-brown deck/house mold on the right side of the picture behind the guys in the white shirts. This is the deck/house mold for the Prairie 29. Here's another pic that shows the bow of the Prairie 29 hull mold sticking out past a new N37. Ken owns all the molds for these boats...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-10-07 Lena 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	35472  
Old 12-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #67

I have literally thousands of construction pics of most of the Great Harbours built from 2005-on. I am happy to set up a drop box for any of you that now own one of these boats as a second owner and would like all the pics of your boat (like I did for Norm last night.) I will stop boring everyone else with, as Joe put it, this "walk down memory lane". But here is one of my favorite Great Harbour factory pics. It shows Norm's boat, Hull #40 (GH47 #4) on the right, then Hull #45 (GH47 #5), "Mother Ocean", in the middle, and the very first N47, "Gale Force" - Hull #46, still in the mold, on the left. The orange in the foreground is the new 37 hull mold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gale Force - Mother Ocean - John Henry.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	35473  
Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #68
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N-37
Thanks Eric, I'd very much like to get all the pics you have of Carolyn Ann. I've already seen a couple I don't have. By the way, we missed you when we ate again at Grandpa Sam's in Spencerport on our way thru the Western Erie this year. However, but you were not in the "Hood" to join us.
Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #69

Hi Joe. I sent you the DropBox link by PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #70
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hardly boring, Eric. It's easy to see how you and Ken got people so exited about these boats.

When aboard an N-37 in Green Cove Springs, you pointed out those hatches in the sole. Is this (green arrows) where those hatches were? Are they baffled eventually, or full length as shown in the photo?

By the way, how do you get the finished boats to Green Cove Springs, which is where I assume you must splash them, no?
Attached Images

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #71

Yes Larry, those are the "alleyways" between the fuel and water tanks - accessed through hatches in the sole. These spaces should remain dry and are an amazing amount of storage. They run from the engine room forward bulkhead to the bow (no baffles).

Of course, all of the boats get a nice truck ride to GCS for initial launching. Like we say, every Great Harbour goes 60mph at least once in its life - backwards!

By the way, there is NOTHING more terrifying than following the big rig for the hour and a half ride to the river. That big boat swaying back and forth - looking like it is going to fall off the truck at any minute! The trucks take the long way around to Green Cove - all four-lane. The smaller pilot house trailer and pickup used to go the direct route on the narrow two-lane across 16 between Starke and Green Cove - until, on one early trip, it was caught up in a huge accident at a narrow bridge on 16 with a dump truck full of rock that rolled over and smashed into it.

Here are some cool shots of Norm's boat heading for the river - and then getting her top put on at Green Cove Springs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GH47 Heading for GCS.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	35483   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH47 Heading for GCS2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	35484   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH47 Topless at GCS.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	35485   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH47 Setting the top in GCS.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	35486  
Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #72
Guru

Awesome photos. I figured they were trucked, but what an ordeal that GH-47 must be. Over height, over width, and even over weight. I'm sure you had your reasons why the company stayed in Gainesville.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #73
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Great pics, and not boring at all. I think many of us enjoy seeing what goes into building a boat - particularly when they are built this well. Thanks for sharing.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #74
TF Site Team

The way this thread is going it would be nice if a mod could correct the title spelling of Harbour for me .
Old 12-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #75
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
The way this thread is going it would be nice if a mod could correct the title spelling of Harbour for me .
No charge this time. You're lucky you caught me in a good mood!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #76

Thanks guys. I apologize for hijacking the thread and turning it into the "this is how we built 'em in Gainesville" thread, and I do want to reiterate to the moderators that I am in no way employed by Mirage/Great Harbour at this time - so this isn't a transparent sales pitch! I just spent so much time intimately involved with the construction and design of these fine vessels that I tend to "over-answer" questions!

And, Larry, the reasons Ken has stayed in Gainesville all these years are pretty simple: There is a good labor pool of talented, hardworking people (remember, Hunter and Monterey are each only about 10 miles away), property near Gainesville airport is WAY cheaper than waterfront property, he has a home on 80 acres that he dearly loves - where he raised his kids, and, well, he's been there since '71 - same address, same phone number, same company name - why change?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #77
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Kraftee. Don't worry about over answering, it is interesting to see the buildouts by the various manufactures. I get to Green Cove every few weeks and can only see the many
Mirage products from a distance because of the locked gate.
I did take a short trip on Semper Fi (one of them) about 10 years ago with Peter S.
Lunch at the outback crab shack.
Keep the pics and reports coming!
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #78
Guru

Regardless of what ones opinion is about Great Harbour boats, this thread demonstrates that there's a lot to respect here. I always saw the GH as an unapologetic.

It's kind of like if a Krogen Manatee and a Florida Bay Coaster were taking a flight to the west coast and the only seat left on the plane was the one between them, the last thing they'd want to see is a big-butt GH wallowing down the isle.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #79

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Hmmmm....ok, my GH has a big-butt...

Eric,
A dropbox link to any photos you have a Alonso's Sea (first GH47) would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Henry & Debbie
GH 47 Seven Tenths
currently in Charleston, SC
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #80

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Earlier in this thread reference was made to how heavy Great Harbour boats are and the thickness of the hull is certainly a contributor. Here is a picture of the hull plug from our GH47 which as you can see is over 1 1/2 thick of woven fiberglass. The piece shown here weighs at least 10 lbs and the cutout laying on top of the hull piece is a cutout from the NidaCore hull sides (used from the rub rails up and the decks) which is buoyant, very strong, not prone to moisture saturation (like some foam core materials) but is very light.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418908769.215456.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	35498

Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote