Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N-37
Some N-47 owners added lead ballast to the bow area under the chain locker to sink the bow thruster further under water to enhance it's performance. One owner cleverly modified the thruster tunnel for the same enhanced effect without adding weight. No N-47s (or any other Great Harbours) came from the factory with ballast that I know of. All tanks are fiberglass integrated with the hulls. I can speak to the N-37 tanks My N-37 has 2 150gal potable water tanks=300gal., 500 gal diesel tank and a 100 gal black water holding tank which is actually closer to 130 gals. by measurement. Of course the N-47s are much larger.
Over the 5100 hrs of cruising I've averaged 2.2 gals an hour including all generator and diesel heater opration.
Bigger engines will be no benefit to the boat as far as speed performance. Lou calculated the hp needed to drive the boat to hull speed and the current 74hp engines are larger then necessary. I have lost one engine 3 times and cruised comfortably to port on the remaining one engine at very near my normal cruise speed of 7 kts.. This with a small 5 degree rudder correction. These boats have true redundancy in that they cruise and handle very well on one engine as opposed to many "fast" boats with small rudders that.

Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #42

City: Kalamazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Well there ya go, Jim. Your dream boat! Ken could do a fly bridge for you later.
Yes I guess that could be true.........................BUT I have found 2 N47's for sale with flybridges..........oh and I just found a GH 47 for sale today as well......First we cant find one now we have to MaNy ChOiCeS

Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:26 AM   #43

Joe Pica,
Thank You Joe for the encouraging post and information. I think we have copied just about everything we could find concerning Great Harbor Trawlers and Lou Codega and Reuben Tran and of course Ken Fickett to say the least, all in order to get a better knowledge of these boats. I mean how they are made and why they were made in this way and what the purpose of these boats really are.

Well in all our researching I am finding that these boats are pretty amazing and I do believe that most people including some owners truly do not know what these boats are really capable of. We are sold !!
Now its time to sit back and take a deep breath and make sure this is what we truly desire to do then I guess it's dive in and take the big plunge !!
Thanks Again Joe
Jim
Old 12-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #44
Veteran Member

When searching, also search for "Great Harbor" and Great Harbour(correct spl) seems some listings misspell Harbour.
Also, reference the Flybridges, the only models without a flybridge option are the GH-37s. The evolution of Great Harbours is an interesting study on the design and building of a new boat. It was "purpose" front loaded by customer #1 who liked soem features of the Krogen Manatee and Florida Bay Coaster but wanted a hybrid of the two that could be a capable cruiser and be a good office live aboard at the dock.
Customer #1 wanted the boat to be built out of Fiberglass so Ken Fickett was the pickwith his extensive composites experience. There were many players involved in Hull #1 GH-37) all of who had strong opinions but in the end a great cruising boat was born. The Ns were to come later.
It is interesting how the Krogen Manatee has become a cult boat and is no longer being built but selling near it's original price. I think this will be the case for the GH-37s. They are a Manatee on steroids with more space a twin keel protected props...etc.. IMHO.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #45

City: Gainesville, FL
Yep, Joe you're probably right - she sure looks like the original N37 (Great Harbour trawler #25, N37 #1.) I have lost track of the various owners, names (Semper Fi, Walkabout, All Ours), and hull colors (red, green, navy) of that boat! However, she is one of only two Great Harbours (that I know of) that has gone to Cuba. Here are a couple shots from that trip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elmorro min.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	35390   Click image for larger version

Name:	NavigatorMarina min.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	35391  
Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #46

...she also traveled to the Newport Boat Show by way of Bermuda!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bermuda_Fuel_Dock.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	35395  
Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #47
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Yep, Joe you're probably right - she sure looks like the original N37 (Great Harbour trawler #25, N37 #1.) I have lost track of the various owners, names (Semper Fi, Walkabout, All Ours), and hull colors (red, green, navy) of that boat! However, she is one of only two Great Harbours (that I know of) that has gone to Cuba. Here are a couple shots from that trip...
Does that boat have a stand up engine room or am I mistaking it with another boat?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Yes, at least for 5'8" me .
Old 12-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Does that boat have a stand up engine room or am I mistaking it with another boat?
I went on Young America and I recall you could have party in that engine room .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #50
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pica View Post
Yes, at least for 5'8" me .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I went on Young America and I recall you could have party in that engine room .
Hmmmm...

Thank you gentleman

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #51
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yeah, I from what I recall, there was also space for a party size fridge in that engine room.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #52
Guru

Here's something I wondered about but never had the occasion to ask Ken Fickett. Here's the N-37 Silver Queen in standard trim, and then with a foot added (like on the N-47) to the base of the pilothouse, making the engine room and the bosuns locker 6'8" or more, and also giving the option of having the window in the bosuns locker/man-cave. With the extra foot, I don't think the pilothouse overwhelms the boat. Same molds, ....why not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	silver queen.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	35408   Click image for larger version

Name:	N-37 silver queen plus one foot.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	35409  

Old 12-16-2014, 02:12 AM   #53

Ya kinow I would agree with thiat !! It sure looks alot better with the higher pilot house like the N47 has.
I bet the view over the bow is improved big time as well. Hmm if you could take the pilot house up a little higher on the N47 you could do away with a flybridge alltogether as well.
Either way, the N is one classy boat which gives more then expected of it.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #54

Because it is not the same molds. The N-37 and N47 PILOT HOUSE molds are identical, however, the deck molds are quite different. This is where the extra foot is. In order to get the same height from the N37, Ken would have to make an entirely new deck mold - and for what result? To go from 6' headroom to 7' headroom in the engine room - and from 4' to 5' in the bosun locker? I guess that would be advantageous for some people, but for most, the extra foot just means an extra foot of air draft and a one-foot step up into the pilot house. You CERTAINLY don't need the extra foot to see over the bow (which is the original reason for that one -foot in the N47). Also remember, the lower you can stand while piloting the vessel, the less apparent motion. So, don't hold your breath on a new deck mold for the N37!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #55

By way of further explanation, here are the two deck molds. The first one is the N37 and the second is the N47. Keep in mind that the molds are inverted, so you can easily see the recess in the N47 mold that becomes the one foot higher saloon deck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	N37 Deck Mold.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	35418   Click image for larger version

Name:	N47 Deck Mold.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	35419  
Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #56

...also, someone was asking about tank construction earlier in this thread. Thought they might like to see a comparison of the N37 and the massive tankage of the N47. Notice that the tanks become part of the hull and add tremendous structure with their 360-degree bonded baffles and lids.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	N37 Tanks.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	35420   Click image for larger version

Name:	N47 Tanks.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	35421  
Old 12-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #57

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Love the tank pictures! The forums are full of postings on "Tank Problems"..... Not on Great Harbours!
Spottsville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #58
Guru

Well thanks for the smack-down on my extra-height, dream N-37, Eric. That was almost as bad as when you talked me out of the GH-37 with the fly-bridge! It was my birthday, for heaven's sake!

Seriously though, the tank photos are hard to believe. I knew the hull was thick and heavy, but now I'm seeing where a lot of the GH and N series weight comes from, almost like a honeycomb of baffles, walls and lids.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Healhustler, I assure you that the extra foot may cause problems not anicipated. That unnecessary 1' adds to air draft in some areas that are great cruising. I have 5100+ hrs at the lower helm of our N-37 and 28hrs on the flybridge helm. Simply, I see better from the lower helm especially when docking, then the upper (Bahamas not withstanding) and enjoy the comfort below. Your cruising may be different but that is my personal experiences.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #60

Sorry to dash your tall N37 dreams Larry! But, if you still want a tall boat, there are used GHs on the market! Since you guys seem to be enjoying them, I thought I would post a few more cool construction pics.

The first set of pics is of Hull #44 (N37 #12), Meermin. She was the last N37 built in the "old" mold. Originally we built the 37s AND 47s in the same mold. It had 10' inserts that were removable. Of course, this added a lot of extra fairing work to the hulls - and we could only lay up one hull at a time. So, we flipped Meermin, did a LOT of fairing work and popped a new mold off of her. All later 37s (Ns and GHs) came out of this new mold. The old mold was converted to a full-time 47' mold and was reworked to be much fairer. The flipping process took a giant crane, all our shop guys, and almost created a catastrophe when the hull slipped as it was just about flipped over. Terrifying.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1013850.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	35447   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013869.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	35448   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013875.jpg
Views:	117