Old 01-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #1

City: AZ
Gh74

So I'm curious, every time I go to the GH website I see the GH74. I have to tell you I love this boat and I wonder why one has never been built, any ideas?
wannaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Land of Enchantment
There simply isn't much demand for boats in that size range. To give you an idea, there are only 22 70+ foot yachts listed on Yacht World in the US and only 9 of those are <90ft. It's simply a tiny market.

I really hope they get an order, because it is a gorgeous boat and I love their design philosophy.
thekiltedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I would love to see it built.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

Yes, me too. It's my if I ever win the lottery boat.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #5

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
It's a design that just screams Cruise........"
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #6

Yes it does.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

City: Whosville
I love it. My kind of boat.
I feel the same about this one.

60 ft Seahorse survey vessel
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

I Like the seahorse too, but if one had the money to buy and maintain a 74 the GH74 would be a value for the money. Mirage makes a solid boat that is easy to maintain boat. Love the layout!

http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/gh74.html
Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaboat View Post
Yes, me too. It's my if I ever win the lottery boat.
You'd need to, and a biggie at that. No-ne has mentioned this as a reason why no-one is having one built, but there is the small but important fact it would leave little change out of $10million to build. Folk who can afford that sort of money tend to go for pleasure yachts of fancier and faster lines, which are crewed. Just sayin'...
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Land of Enchantment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
it would leave little change out of $10million to build
Great Harbor says it would be <$3M fully outfitted. That's till a big chunk of change, but a big difference.
thekiltedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
You'd need to, and a biggie at that. No-ne has mentioned this as a reason why no-one is having one built, but there is the small but important fact it would leave little change out of $10million to build. Folk who can afford that sort of money tend to go for pleasure yachts of fancier and faster lines, which are crewed. Just sayin'...
Not sure about that, from the GH site: "Introductory pricing will keep a fully outfitted GH74 under $3 million, which is extremely competitive with similarly sized and equipped vessels."
Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaboat View Post
Not sure about that, from the GH site: "Introductory pricing will keep a fully outfitted GH74 under $3 million, which is extremely competitive with similarly sized and equipped vessels."
I've no doubt that figure is quoted. But having just purchased property advertising full home and land package including marina berth, from, (the operative word), $386,000, only to find our quite modest dwelling will end up at least $580,000, with no marina berth, I think you can see where I'm coming from. It's called 'harsh reality', as opposed to attention grabbing advertising.

It's what fully outfitted means really. I think you can guess that every little extra thing you know you'll want, from navigation package on, will add hugely to that end price. I suspect the 'fully outfitted' is pretty basic. Enough to get the boat to your berth, but not great for the cruising you'll want to do, and the creature comforts most would want. Maybe my $10m was a bit big, but most fancy 70 foot pleasure yachts certainly come in around that. But, hey, maybe in the US they actually mean what they say..?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:53 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are plenty of boats available in that size range, proven models. Those who are going to purchase a boat like it, aren't going to go to GH for it. Their best chance at selling one would be to a 47' or so owner wanting to move up, but still a big jump. Probably could have stood a better chance of getting someone to move up to a 60' or so and then later tried the 74'.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Maybe it's just me, but if I were spending that kind of money, I wouldn't want to be the first. There 47 is very nice, but growing a boat exponentially in displacement could easily have unforseen consequences.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #15
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
I would just like to know how they plan to get a GH74 out of Gainesville. 74' with a 23'9" beam and over 100 tons....really?

Is the 5700 gallons of fuel also ballast?

Will the introductory price of $3M cover the cost of the molds?

King beds in the master stateroom are fantastic!

Justice would be best served if this pipe dream is taken out of the lineup and they concentrate on delivering hull #1 of the TT35. Yeah I know, hull #2 was delivered and is in the user test program.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I would just like to know how they plan to get a GH74 out of Gainesville. 74' with a 23'9" beam and over 100 tons....really?

Is the 5700 gallons of fuel also ballast?

Will the introductory price of $3M cover the cost of the molds?

King beds in the master stateroom are fantastic!

Justice would be best served if this pipe dream is taken out of the lineup and they concentrate on delivering hull #1 of the TT35. Yeah I know, hull #2 was delivered and is in the user test program.
That's an entirely additional factor but would certainly play a role in anyone's decision. They can't deliver a $300,000 boat on time, even close to on time, without all sorts of delays and issues so who is going to trust them with a $3 million or $4 million or whatever boat.

As to the $3 million covering the molds, it certainly doesn't cover the cost of building the boat and the cost of tooling and molds. I doubt they could even afford to build that boat without finding a new and additional resource for funds. Can they even afford to finish all the TT35's they have started without taking money received on a future boat to finish a previous one, boat D funds to finish boat A kind of thing?

Boat builders put concepts on their pages all the time and that is all the GH74 is.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

Delivered sort of. Has it been completed in every way and turned over to the owner to go cruise? And let's not overlook that there are things about the first group they say they're modifying for future builds, so in a way they're all somewhat like prototypes.

They use Mz. Tron's quote liberally on their web site and state she subsequently became owner of hull #1 and yet they haven't finished the boat, haven't delivered it, and both parties have become very silent in all regards to it. They post the sea trials of the shell of that boat on their site, sea trials from nearly a year ago, and still no boat. Notice no updates on #3 or #4. So they got one boat partially finished in #2 just to put in a show.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Common practice in the boatbuilding world for boat #2 to fund boat #1 completion, with boat #3 funding boat #2, goes on for a while. Been there in the thick of it as it was happening, fortunately my funds were not lost. You don't want to be the last boat in the scheme!! It was UGLY.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Common practice in the boatbuilding world for boat #2 to fund boat #1 completion, with boat #3 funding boat #2, goes on for a while. Been there in the thick of it as it was happening, fortunately my funds were not lost. You don't want to be the last boat in the scheme!! It was UGLY.
And you never know which will be the last boat in the scheme. A bit like playing Russian Roulette. Never deal with a builder who might have to resort to that. Careful sometimes to know. Those are also often the same builders giving low prices as they've lost all sight of being profit, just trying to keep the scheme going. Basically the boat building Ponzi scheme.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #20

Gh74

For us who know the boat builder personally, and have spent hundreds of house at the helm and maintaining a Great Harbour, you gain a unique perspective on boats and the builder. I have great respect for Mirage. Craftsmen and entrepreneurs are a different breed. They are willing to do things differently than others. They don't do schedules well and won't turn loose of the boat till they get it right. I have no problem with that. It so easy to throw stones.....