Old 09-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #41
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I agree with Bruce, this project has been a long time birthing. I can understand waiting until they had four boats on order so as to build them like a production line. But it sounds like they are designing as they build and that always takes longer. But doing it with the hull sitting in front of you will probably result in a better product.

The Annapolis show is only six weeks away. I hope they make it.

David

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #42

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
"After considerable research, we opted to go with a soft-sided, bladder-style water tank. These systems have proven to be durable and trouble free, and we settled on a 150-liter tank from Plastimo.

A bladder-style water tank from Plastimo"

Great Harbor should rethink the use of Plastimo PVC water tanks. As noted in the BPA water tank thread, flexible PVC contains plasticizers that may release possible carcinogens into the drinking water.

I realize that there are two serial qualifiers in the sentence above: may and possible, but if I were going to live on that water for an extended period, I would want something different.

David
A quick check of the Plastimo website regarding BPA:

FLEXIBLE WATERTANKS FOR FRESH WATER
High resistance flexible water tanks : a reliable, practical and low cost solution to the storage of fresh water on board. They are flexible, light and form-fitting, and can therefore be installed where it would not be possible to install a rigid water tank, due to the shape of the boat or difficult access.

BISPHENOL A FREE / PHTALATE - FREE

Spottsville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post

High resistance flexible water tanks : a reliable, practical and low cost solution to the storage of fresh water on board. They are flexible, light and form-fitting, and can therefore be installed where it would not be possible to install a rigid water tank, due to the shape of the boat or difficult access.

While it may make sense on this boat as we can't know the space situation, I've never seen them installed as a primary tank. It feels more like a "didn't plan for" kind of items. I don't understand them still working on equipment selection at this point, especially basics like a water tank.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #44
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post

So they don't use BPA or phthalates, but what do they use to make it flexible. They must use something.

I am a bit cynical about this stuff. A manufacturer uses something that some scientists say is a carcinogen. So they switch to something else. Doesn't mean that something else won't also be found to be carcinogenic.

Why do other manufactures of water bladders use a separate polymer layer on the inside to avoid this problem? Plastimo evidently doesn't.

David

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote