Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's a pittance. In California, the annual property tax for boats is from 1.0 to 1.5%, depending on location, same as real estate.
Plus the 1/4 of 1% tax is assessed against a depreciated boat valuation which is substantially less than real market value. So as you say it's a "pittance."

Old 09-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Alaska also values the dollars spent by non residents. Guys bring your boats up here. We won't charge you a dime! While you are here you'll probably keep people working with all the money you spend in our restaurants, fuel docks, boat yards, and the like. Yes, Alaska values your business and won't charge you for the privilege of spending your money in our state!
Yes Alaska does and if you vessel is not documented, meaning no require to register with the State, then you boat registration for 3 years is $24.....

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
To the OP, I think your read is correct. At least it's the same as my read and I'm planning to do just what you are, i.e.spend up to 180 days in WA, but not more.

For what it's worth, Washigton has been getting picked on in a few threads for their "unfriendly" practices. I'm not trying to defend their tax policies, but think they are no different than any other state. There may well be exceptions, but every state I've looked into has rules about how long you can be in state before they declare you as a resident and subject you to their tax laws. That time limit is anywhere from 30 days to whatever. I actually think Washington has one of the longer non-resident periods compared to other states.

Of course each state's tax laws are different, so when you hang around too long, the financial consequences vary significantly. Some states have no sales or use tax, so you owe nothing. Some states have tax caps that limit total exposure. I think all states credit for taxes paid to other states.

Looking more broadly, the exact same thing happens when you travel to a foreign country in your boat. You are welcome as a visitor for some period of time, but eventually you and your boat become subject to local tax laws.

Oh, one other "rule" seems to be pretty widely applicable. If you are a resident of a particular state our country, then the tax laws apply immediately when you bring the boat into the state. It's sudden-death (by taxes) if you are a resident.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Oh, another important things about Washington State. The 60 day non-resident visitation, and two subsequent 60 day extensions are ONLY allowed for boats owned by a "natural person". That means the documented owner needs to be you, not an LLC or a Corp or other legal entity. It's just speculation on my part, but I believe this is intended to plug a loop hole and prevent Washington residents from setting up non-washington LLCs as owners of thier boats, then claiming the non-resident exemption from use tax.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #25

City: Beverly, MA
Great information by all. We are looking to do something similar with our east coast USCG documented boat.

Does anyone know if you have to pay a Use Tax or other tax to have dockage in Vancouver, BC for the winter?
djk1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk1216 View Post
Great information by all. We are looking to do something similar with our east coast USCG documented boat.

Does anyone know if you have to pay a Use Tax or other tax to have dockage in Vancouver, BC for the winter?
If you're a resident of BC then you pay 12% when you purchase or bring a boat in, unless from a registered dealer in which case only 7%. I do not know about other taxes there.

The point is that every state and every country has taxes and the collect what it takes them to operate. In the US, each state does it differently. You see huge malls built in the states with no sales tax, bringing in people from neighboring states. One state collects high registration fees while another collects sales tax. Register a car in Mississippi and you'll be shocked as that's their means of collecting tax revenues. They figure that way they'll get everyone, not just homeowners. Live in one state and work in another for life complications. We had a facility in Chattanooga and we withheld state income taxes for three different states, none of which were Tennessee. We weren't required by law to do so, but employees preferred that we do since they were going to be subject to tax in their home state of NC, GA, or AL.

In the past three years, we have boated in 21 states and had to familiarize ourselves with the laws of each. 11 countries were easier. Some states charge fuel tax on all fuel and some simply on road fuel. All this is without even getting into Internet sales which are leading to rewrites of sales tax laws and eventually will change them dramatically.

Now, that said, if there were easily avoided taxes that would not require me to inconvenience myself significantly nor require me to stretch the rules or laws, then I'd avoid them. I live in a state with no personal income tax. I operate my businesses as S Corporations to have no state income tax. Thank goodness they limit the sales tax on boats to $18,000, but if they didn't, I'd still have no choice but to pay.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #27
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"If you're a resident of BC then you pay 12% when you purchase or bring a boat in, unless from a registered dealer in which case only 7%. I do not know about other taxes there."
NOT.
If you bring a boat into Canada, you will pay the Federal GST of 5% on importation. Then you will want to register or license the boat in a province, and will pay the Provincial Sales tax. Using a broker will save you some of the tax only if you have made a purchase through the broker and used a previously tax paid boat as a trade in. That will get you a credit against the tax owing of the amount of tax on the value of the trade. There are strict time constraints involved in a trade-in.

In BC the tax is 12%, made up of 5% GST and 7% PST, but those rates are subject to political whim, so could change at any time.

If you bring a non-BC boat into BC and do nothing, you are subject to time limits on your stay. Here is what one site tells us:

"In August 2012, the Canadian government began enforcing a law requiring foreigners to pay an import tax if they leave their boats in Canada after October 31. Americans may not leave their U.S. registered boat in Canada year-round without paying duty and tax (up to 13%). A E-99 permit may allow American boats to remain in a Canadian marina during the winter to get work done. For more information, call the marina division at 519-257-6457[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]519-257-6457[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]519-257-6457[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]519-257-6457. "

I don't know of any other taxes that you would have to pay in BC.

I have tried to edit out the garbage at the end of that quote, and below, but it refuses to leave.

Call
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via SkypeCall
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #28
Guru

[QUOTE=koliver;393504]

If you bring a non-BC boat into BC and do nothing, you are subject to time limits on your stay. Here is what one site tells us:

"In August 2012, the Canadian government began enforcing a law requiring foreigners to pay an import tax if they leave their boats in Canada after October 31. Americans may not leave their U.S. registered boat in Canada year-round without paying duty and tax (up to 13%). [QUOTE]

Good information. I saw that other provinces were 13% versus the 12% BC.

It makes sense, that if someone is keeping a boat in Canada over the winter, that's not just bringing it there for use. Again, there are no free rides in Canada or elsewhere. These are all good regulations for people to know and then base their decisions on.

We certainly knew Florida had no state income tax when we moved there, but it didn't really lead us there, because we knew we'd buy a home and they have high property taxes. The property tax rate in Fort Lauderdale is 2.3%. Where we lived in NC it was only 0.8%. Fortunately there is no property tax on boats in FL. The state wants boats.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's banditry when governments want to tax assets moving into their territories (not talking of property taxes). At least in the USA, we give credit for sales/use taxes already paid. So, do Canadian taxes also apply to automobiles, as well as other personal and financial assets brought to the country?
Old 12-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #30
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It's banditry when governments want to tax assets moving into their territories (not talking of property taxes). At least in the USA, we give credit for sales/use taxes already paid. So, do Canadian taxes also apply to automobiles, as well as other personal and financial assets brought to the country?

It cost me 9.5% duty plus 12% combined GST and PST on top of that to bring my KK42 to country. That's 23% total in duty and taxes. The 9.5% duty is on boats not made in North America. We wouldn't pay the 9.5% duty on an Nordic Tug, for example.

Yes. It hurts, but with the decline in the Cdn $ against the US$, The boat is now worth more than in Cdn $ than 2.5 years ago.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
It cost me 9.5% duty plus 12% combined GST and PST on top of that to bring my KK42 to country. That's 23% total in duty and taxes. The 9.5% duty is on boats not made in North America. We wouldn't pay the 9.5% duty on an Nordic Tug, for example.

Yes. It hurts, but with the decline in the Cdn $ against the US$, The boat is now worth more than in Cdn $ than 2.5 years ago.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Yes, and to think how many people flag their boats offshore to avoid the 1.5% US duty.

Nordhavn sales are getting a nice exchange boost right now too from the strong US $.

Now, outside North America, are there any other countries that have different sets of laws for every state or province? My European counterparts when I was working were amazed to find there were 50 different sets of tax laws in one country. I know Canada isn't as bad, but there are enough small differences between provinces just to confuse people from what I've seen.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #32
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Actually in Canada there are some pretty big differences. Sales tax is a combination of the federal 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST) and provincial sales tax. Provincial sale tax ranges from 0% in Alberta, Yukon, Nunavut and the NWT to as high as 10%. So total sales tax ranges from 5% to 15%. That isn't too bad compared to the 90s. When I lived in New Brunswick then the GST was 7% and the provincial sales tax (PST) was 11% plus you paid PST on the cost plus GST bringing the total to 18.77%.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #33

City: Med
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, and to think how many people flag their boats offshore to avoid the 1.5% US duty.
A quick reminder for all non-US flagged vessels:

Also, carefully check the pilotage regulations in Washington and Alaska. The local pilot boards have their traps well set and baited to catch the foreign flags in their costly excemption schemes!

BC is no problem in this regard, as they have a very sensible loa-based regulation, supporting their local marine trades.
woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
that`s a lot of reading! i`m a lifetime resident of washington, on the last 3 boats we bought, it`s called 2 ft itis, there are ways to cut the yearly tax debt, etc..a friend i respect, said we only need to pay taxes on the steering system, engine, etc, all the rest of the equipment can be taken off the price/value of the boat, at list prices, plus installation costs, etc! ie, genset, sinks, etc, etc...i once asked a sales person, if i could pay him $5000 cash, then deal with the owner? the answer was yes! [if we bought the boat] there`s another way to cut costs, but i`ll not describe it here! the yearly tax for a boat moored in wash state is 1/2 of 1%, or 0.5%, which goes down a little yearly...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #35
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Washington is all about taxing, with no regard to the potential of how it may affect business or pleasure. Its all about the money here. I will say this however. At least we don't have an income tax on top of our sales and use taxes. But that may not last forever as each more liberal bunch of idiots we elect here continues, they all try to figure out a way to get that income tax in place. I got surprised recently when putting my newly acquired boat in the Skagit Co. LaConner Marina, when I got the first bill there is a whopping $60 dollar per MONTH lease tax fee!! I asked for clarification from the Marina and the state. Both were very nice and said basically it is what it is, cough it up. There are ways to lessen the pain but none applied to me. Oh yes, WA loves its taxes!

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote