Old 01-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #21

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
Xraycharlie,

I've successfuly chartered my 40' trawler for the past 4 seasons and have the boat booked for summer 2016. Generally, I limit the charter activity to just one month each summer (occasionally longer if we're away from the boat) and Only to experienced skippers with a solid boating resume. Most have owned boats at one time and just want to get "back on the water". I only permit couples, no kids, dogs, or friends. Finding an insurance company (and broker) to work with is key to this undertaking, and not an easy process. The income earned goes back into maintenance and upgrades, nothing stays in my pocket. I could easily keep the boat booked all summer but choose not too. A good web site is important...here is a link to mine: www.northstar.talkspot.com Good luck and keep it simple!

nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Wake Forest, NC
If there was a Mainship 34 (or similar) available for charter here on the Cackalacky Coast for $1500 a week, i would charter it immediately.

michigandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
gar
Veteran Member

City: cape charles
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
I have a 36 sundeck trawler located on the southern eastern shore of the Chesapeake & have also thought about chartering. If the insurance issue is too much trouble and expense, I would consider an exchange of use with another owner. I did this years ago with a shore condo we owned in Jersey with a couple who had one in Kiawah, SC. No money changed hands & we both had reasonable vacations. Anyone have an interest in some time on the Chesapeake this summer, and we could use you vessel in Florida next winter?
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
I have a 36 sundeck trawler located on the southern eastern shore of the Chesapeake & have also thought about chartering. If the insurance issue is too much trouble and expense, I would consider an exchange of use with another owner. I did this years ago with a shore condo we owned in Jersey with a couple who had one in Kiawah, SC. No money changed hands & we both had reasonable vacations. Anyone have an interest in some time on the Chesapeake this summer, and we could use you vessel in Florida next winter?
You still have insurance issues to deal with for other people to operate your boat. Your boat is insured based on your experience and history as an operator so you would need to clear each other as operators.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Wake Forest, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
Currently don't have a boat ot exhange with you, but I would be intersted in chartering yours should you decide to do so!
michigandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Most recreational insurance policies will cover someone you let operate your boat temporarily. And looking at it the other way, if you have insurance on your boat, you are covered when you operate someone else's boat (whether or not they have insurance).

In general, if I damage your boat while I am operating it, my insurance covers. If the damage is more than my insurance covers due to agreed value policy limits, then the owner's insurance covers the rest.

Just like cars.

If you do a swap, with no money changing hands, I believe (and you know what that is worth) that both parties are covered by the other's insurance.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Most recreational insurance policies will cover someone you let operate your boat temporarily. And looking at it the other way, if you have insurance on your boat, you are covered when you operate someone else's boat (whether or not they have insurance).

In general, if I damage your boat while I am operating it, my insurance covers. If the damage is more than my insurance covers due to agreed value policy limits, then the owner's insurance covers the rest.

Just like cars.

If you do a swap, with no money changing hands, I believe (and you know what that is worth) that both parties are covered by the other's insurance.

David
Well, our policies cover any licensed captains and any other named operators.

But let's assume your policy covers as you describe. If there was a major claim made, the insurer would investigate further and if they found the arrangement talked about here they very possibly would label that a barter transaction and refuse the claim. The fact no money was exchanged does not automatically make it a non business transaction. I would just suggest anyone planning something like this to get it approved in writing before.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote