Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My eyes and head hurts reading this.

To the OP.....

I would stop dealing with the tower and contact just BOATUS insurance.

What has the adjuster said?

Or am I missing the fact that BoatUS is refusing the claim?

If they are, and you have a bill that discusses a pump used on your boat, I would be asking for supervisors at BoatUS till their ears bled.

Pump = salvage = hull insurance.

They try to get out of that and I would be hugely suprised.

You are on the hook for the salvage bill...but till I got the OK from the hull insurance for covering the salvage bill in full...I would be hesitant to lay the higher of the two. $5000 plus or minus is a really good price for pumping out a boat your size and towing it....

Paying that $5250 would keep your boat free in all likelyhood and the rest could be settled later with the savlor if not recognizing that as paid in full and whack in BoatUS for making this hard (if they have) when most of the time, the owner usually is barely involved.

I can't believe there is a disconnect between hull insurance and salvor towing, I don't think you are supposed to get jammed up there, BoatUS insurance must pay for towing in at least some cases as they paid Sea Tow as far as I know when we did their salvages.

I think there are some HUGE communication issues here...not sure where, but most salvages just like this go smoothly.

One question, did the towing company say up front this is salvage? If not, and you didn't sign a thing before the boat was moved....get a lawyer, you may owe nothing unless you get taken to court for time and materials...which will probably work out to the $5250...I will guess the rest was padding. And probably what the lawyer will charge too....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainneil View Post
They pumped out the water. It had about 24" in engine room. Then towed it to Southport Marina. About 5 miles. Zimmermans Marine pulled it from the water and put it up on the hard. It is dry now, and a diesel mechanic pumped oil into the engines and generator.
This is salvage...plain and simple as the boat was recently used and not absndoned.

If you need an expert witness, I am available....

Old 08-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My eyes and head hurts reading this.

To the OP.....

I would stop dealing with the tower and contact just BOATUS insurance.

What has the adjuster said?

Or am I missing the fact that BoatUS is refusing the claim?

If they are, and you have a bill that discusses a pump used on your boat, I would be asking for supervisors at BoatUS till their ears bled.

Pump = salvage = hull insurance.

They try to get out of that and I would be hugely suprised.

You are on the hook for the salvage bill...but till I got the OK from the hull insurance for covering the salvage bill in full...I would be hesitant to lay the higher of the two. $5000 plus or minus is a really good price for pumping out a boat your size and towing it....

Paying that $5250 would keep your boat free in all likelyhood and the rest could be settled later with the savlor if not recognizing that as paid in full and whack in BoatUS for making this hard (if they have) when most of the time, the owner usually is barely involved.

I can't believe there is a disconnect between hull insurance and salvor towing, I don't think you are supposed to get jammed up there, BoatUS insurance must pay for towing in at least some cases as they paid Sea Tow as far as I know when we did their salvages.

I think there are some HUGE communication issues here...not sure where, but most salvages just like this go smoothly.

One question, did the towing company say up front this is salvage? If not, and you didn't sign a thing before the boat was moved....get a lawyer, you may owe nothing unless you get taken to court for time and materials...which will probably work out to the $5250...I will guess the rest was padding. And probably what the lawyer will charge too....
I've been asking the question about insurance and not yet seen an answer. Maybe I overlooked it. Did he say he had insurance on his boat through Boat US? That's my question is does he have insurance and, if so, doesn't it include salvage?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I've been asking the question about insurance and not yet seen an answer. Maybe I overlooked it. Did he say he had insurance on his boat through Boat US? That's my question is does he have insurance and, if so, doesn't it include salvage?
I thought he had indicated in one of the two threads, no hull / liability and he did have towing insurance. Believe his complaint centered around the tow company not filing the tow claim with BoatUS. As previously described, if this was salvage, then the tow portion wouldn't be covered by his towing membership.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Oooops...reread post #1. Finally absorbed the one sentence.

Looks like no hull insurance....

Sorry for my I'll advised posts...

Uness you can absolutely prove you said "please dont salvage my boat"...

Run don't walk to that BoatUS office and pay the $5250. It's a bargain and legal is gonna only raise that already fair price.

If the salvor won't confirm the $5250 is payment in full...see what will, but for every extra dollar he wants, one or both of you will be spending time in court. How much is it worth to him and/or you to raise the stakes?

But you are definitely on the hook for at least something at this point.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #46
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
If you have the time of the incident, call BoatUS on their 800 first and let then know whats up. They can dispatch the local rep.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Ft pierce
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
Did you have any insurance liability etc
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Oooops...reread post #1. Finally absorbed the one sentence.

Looks like no hull insurance....

Yes, I just reread that but the one he hasn't answered is liability or if there was any salvage insurance, but I'm assuming the answer is "no." Everytime I see people talking about no insurance, I think of cases like this as instead of $5500, it would be very easy to have a $50,000 bill. Just takes a small environmental issue.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #49
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Yes, I just reread that but the one he hasn't answered is liability or if there was any salvage insurance, but I'm assuming the answer is "no." Everytime I see people talking about no insurance, I think of cases like this as instead of $5500, it would be very easy to have a $50,000 bill. Just takes a small environmental issue.
So true. A $15,000 boat can sink and leave the owner with a much greater liability than just the loss of the boat. Insurance is a good thing to have.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #50

City: Shelby
We've been told by Tow BoatUs even though we have unlimited gold towing that any tow that involves engine trouble, taking on water, grounding or fire will always be considered salvage and will not be paid for at all and will always result in a bill of many thousands of dollars. Can anyone tell me any situation that tow boat would pay for? When did this change? Fifteen years ago I had my 50' ketch towed w engines problems and it was totally paid for by towboat us. When did this change? Today I can see no circumstance that TowBoatUs towing would pay for anything.
captainneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
We've been told by Tow BoatUs even though we have unlimited gold towing that any tow that involves engine trouble, taking on water, grounding or fire will always be considered salvage and will not be paid for at all and will always result in a bill of many thousands of dollars. Can anyone tell me any situation that tow boat would pay for? When did this change? Fifteen years ago I had my 50' ketch towed w engines problems and it was totally paid for by towboat us. When did this change? Today I can see no circumstance that TowBoatUs towing would pay for anything.

From their website:

Paid Services Include:

Payment for towing Member's disabled boat from the point of breakdown at sea to port of choice; at sea battery jumpstarts; delivery of fuel, engine fluids and basic engine parts to avoid a tow, subject to availability; soft ungrounding assistance; towing the disabled boat immediately after breakdown from a restricted use dock to the Member's home dock or repair facility.

Seems pretty clear to me. A disabled boat in no danger of sinking seems to be covered.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #52

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH: on order
Engine trouble, and I suppose you could put running out of fuel in that category ,represents about 90% of all tows. They tow boat operators would be making more money than a Wall Street Lawyer if that were the case.

Quote:
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #53
Guru

Engine trouble is certainly covered....UNLESS....the trouble is from flooding or fire.

Though I never encountered or heard of it.....if you ripped the bottom of your boat out.....and it was where integral fuel tanks were, it probably would be salvage, not running out of fuel.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #54
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Look at it this way. TowBoat and SeaTow services are like AAA. They will help you when you break down on the side of the road. Maybe tow you to a shop or give you a jump, but if you are involved in a wreck, they aren't going to fix your car. You will have to call your car insurance for that.

I think part of the confusion is that the same guy that SALVAGED your boat was also a hired contractor for TowBoat. However, once the level of service he needed to provide to save your boat was beyond what TowBoat would cover, the TowBoat hat came off and he put on his general contractor cap. Perhaps he may not have made that clear enough.

Only you can decide how to deal with this because none of us were there and were not privy to what, exactly, was said. What is true though, is that from what you have described, your service was certainly a salvage that is not covered by TowBoat and that the guy that did the work wants his money.

Good luck... Keep us posted so we can all learn from it.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
The information is all on their website, all quite clear. They do tow for engine trouble. They tow for soft grounding. They don't do anything for water, sinking, hard grounding, or fire. I don't know what you've been told by who but just read the site. You cannot blame TowBoat US for this. They are following their policy and their agreement. They tow many boats at no charge, every day. People have engine problems, run out of fuel, have soft groundings and they get towed. Yours is clearly by every tow company definition salvage. And nothing changed. It's the same policy basically as 15 years ago.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #56
Guru

Interesting. Are there rules determining the amount a salvor can charge? I get the impression people in a salvage situation, desperate as they may be, see themselves unempowered in terms of making arrangements, a sort of: "Agree or Sink" situation.
Can the charge a salvor seeks to recover be taken to a tribunal to determine its reasonableness, or is "reasonableness" not a consideration?
In Equity Courts (colloquially called"The Whispering Jurisdiction"here for its gentle ways of proceeding) it was said the relief available varied with the length of the Equity Chancellors foot; in other words it was a highly subjective determination.
Is the determiner here the salvor, or are there rules?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 AM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Interesting. Are there rules determining the amount a salvor can charge? I get the impression people in a salvage situation, desperate as they may be, see themselves unempowered in terms of making arrangements, a sort of: "Agree or Sink" situation.
Can the charge a salvor seeks to recover be taken to a tribunal to determine its reasonableness, or is "reasonableness" not a consideration?
In Equity Courts (colloquially called"The Whispering Jurisdiction"here for its gentle ways of proceeding) it was said the relief available varied with the length of the Equity Chancellors foot; in other words it was a highly subjective determination.
Is the determiner here the salvor, or are there rules?
No rules. Should agree in advance either on a fixed amount or on the hourly and mileage rates. However, in those situations most are just happy for salvage and don't get prices quoted.

You can take the salvor to court, unless you sign a contract agreeing to arbitration, and even then you sometimes can. The problem is that courts are a long process and until the point of a decision, if you don't pay, the salvor has the lien. That makes a more reasonable approach to pay and then to go to court after if you feel necessary.

The majority of salvage is done through insurance companies and they do have agreements with salvage companies and understandings on charges. They are experienced at handling it. They are also willing and ready to have salvage done as the alternative is a total loss plus salvage. Typically, if the salvage charge is no more than 10% of the value of the boat, they're happy.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #58
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Non lawyer here, but have been around a bunch of marine salvage cases. As I understand it, to claim salvage, there must be a peril.

If you have water in your bilge, and the pump does not work, but no further water is entering, there is no peril and thus no salvage. Otherwise any mechanic that fixes a failed pump could make such a claim. Does not matter if there is 100gal in bilge, or three ounces.

If the water is flooding in, TB puts pumps in and prevents a sinking, that is a salvage.

Whenever dealing with a potential salvage, try to get an agreement on the spot what the fee will be for the service. I did this with a slip tenant whose sailboat was blown up in the surf line on the beach. I run over on a skiff and TB and BUS were both there, not connected. Boat owner was freaking out and unable to negotiate. I acted as his agent. I skiff'd over to the two tow boats and a little bidding war ensued. Final bid was $1300, which I thought was fair. I told the winning bidder to proceed with getting the boat off the beach, and owner concurred on the radio. Boat was pulled off with no damage beyond a little rash. Owner paid the tow boat the agreed fee and no salvage claims were made, as far as I know.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #59

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
I've got to throw in a kudo for TowboatUS here. I had a long tow a couple years ago. Simple tow, just loss of oil due to a seal leak.

A few days later, I got a call from the boat that towed me saying that I owed them $1700. I said, "What about that invoice I signed when you were along side with a big zero at the bottom?"

He said, "That's just what TowboatUS paid. It was a long tow and you own me the balance." I said I would only pay it if the TowboatUS mothership said I owed it.

"Well, ask them whatever you like. This is between you and me now, it has nothing to do with TowboatUS and I'll have the sheriff there in the morning to seize your boat and throw you off it while we sort it out."

I told TowboatUS what was going on. They slapped him up alongside the head and told him they would yank his franchise so fast his head wouldn't stop spinning for a week if he ever tried something like that again. They even sent me the emails.

I never heard anything more about it but I hope never to need a tow in the Solomons, MD area again.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Non lawyer here, but have been around a bunch of marine salvage cases. As I understand it, to claim salvage, there must be a peril.

If you have water in your bilge, and the pump does not work, but no further water is entering, there is no peril and thus no salvage. Otherwise any mechanic that fixes a failed pump could make such a claim. Does not matter if there is 100gal in bilge, or three ounces.

If the water is flooding in, TB puts pumps in and prevents a sinking, that is a salvage.

Whenever dealing with a potential salvage, try to get an agreement on the spot what the fee will be for the service. I did this with a slip tenant whose sailboat was blown up in the surf line on the beach. I run over on a skiff and TB and BUS were both there, not connected. Boat owner was freaking out and unable to negotiate. I acted as his agent. I skiff'd over to the two tow boats and a little bidding war ensued. Final bid was $1300, which I thought was fair. I told the winning bidder to proceed with getting the boat off the beach, and owner concurred on the radio. Boat was pulled off with no damage beyond a little rash. Owner paid the tow boat the agreed fee and no salvage claims were made, as far as I know.
There are two different issues. You're talking about the procedure for making a salvage claim. That differs from salvage towing for an owner.

Tags
boat took on water, boat yard and towing lien