Old 05-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

City: South east Florida
Totally dissed by broker

So in 2006 i was dismissed as a boat buyer. Finally went elsewhere and did not buy from that broker but found what we were looking for and bought our boat. Seems like women are not supposed to buy boats. I kinda passed it off as the times. But here i am now. ... Ready to buy a trawler... Looking to be a looper. I have done my research, know what i want... For the most part... But when i contact brokers.... I get totally dissed and passed over like i know nothing! So I'm a pilot, i know systems and engines and have owned and lived on boats most of my life,... But the freaking broker hears that a woman wants to buy a trawler.... And here ya go... You get total bs and that...tone... Like they don't want to even waste their time talking to me! Drives me crazy! I'm in Florida. Anyone know who i can turn to that will assist me in byung my "loop mobile" and treat me like a human being?

Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Can't help you with Florida broker, but what exactly are you looking for?

I'm sure your analysis is right, but that's not about you as much as them.
F... umm, move on and I'm sure your will find a good professional broker.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
So in 2006 i was dismissed as a boat buyer. Finally went elsewhere and did not buy from that broker but found what we were looking for and bought our boat. Seems like women are not supposed to buy boats. I kinda passed it off as the times. But here i am now. ... Ready to buy a trawler... Looking to be a looper. I have done my research, know what i want... For the most part... But when i contact brokers.... I get totally dissed and passed over like i know nothing! So I'm a pilot, i know systems and engines and have owned and lived on boats most of my life,... But the freaking broker hears that a woman wants to buy a trawler.... And here ya go... You get total bs and that...tone... Like they don't want to even waste their time talking to me! Drives me crazy! I'm in Florida. Anyone know who i can turn to that will assist me in byung my "loop mobile" and treat me like a human being?

Male brokers are pigs.. find a good female broker and find your boat!
Happy boat hunting!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I hate that you have to deal with that. I don't know any Florida brokers personally, but there are some brokers floating around on this site. Daddyo is one, and yachtbrokerguy. Pretty sure there are others as well. Maybe they can help.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Some people cannot get rid of preconceived ideas and judgement and just still live in a revolved era... Wish you the best for your boat quest, I am pretty sure your next boat is waiting for you out there.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I remember meeting a couple of Lady boat Brokers. I can't remember the names now at least one was a member of MTOA and I am quite sure lived in Florida.
Maybe check with MTOA.
Good luck!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I know the perfect broker for you. Call Cookie White at Allied Marine in Stuart FL.
Cell is (704) 574-6019. Tell her Howard Mason referred you.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #8

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
That's total nonsense. I cant help you with a particular broker, but there are a lot of women that knows a ton more than a large percentage of people in the sales end of boats. One of the most seasoned brokers many moons ago was a woman that wore a hat all the time as her trademark at Bradfords, IIRC. But its been years ago and she probably has aged out of the industry.

If my wife was looking for a boat to buy, in most all cases she qualifies as one of the most knowledgeable persons unlike a ton of brokers in the business.

One of things that would take place, and maybe its the case on your end, she is pretty mild mannered and even keel, or maybe what is known as unpretentious when you meet her.

So I would probably say that you may have run into some of the least experienced one that probably expects to do little to no work to earn your business. So its probably good that you weed them out from the start when you get no respect as a potential customer.

It used to be a saying that " boat brokers are nothing more than car salesmen in topsiders". A long time ago Florida did improve the industry by placing some regulations on obtaining a license too.

So at least you know when you end up getting the attention of one, you will probably get good service. Good luck on your future loop trip. And just wanted to give you some encouragement..
Old 05-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We bought our last two boats from female brokers and I want to say they were both excellent experiences. Most brokers belong to a professional organization (don't recall the name right now) but you could get a referral from them for a good female broker.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

I think there is a TF member (Judy Waldman sp?) who is a broker. I've only heard good things about her...I think she's in Miami or there-abouts.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

I think there is a TF member (Judy Waldman sp?) who is a broker. I've only heard good things about her...I think she's in Miami or there-abouts.
That's right Judy Waldman is one of the brokers I was thinking of, we met her at an MTOA conference. You can find her at JW Yachts, google it.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Go with Cookie, NOT JW Yachts. Had a bad experience.
Stabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #13

City: South east Florida
Thanks everyone! I will look into your suggestions!
Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Call Barbara Burke. She’s a personal friend and is well respected in the industry. Tell her Hobo says hello.

(904) 310-5110 or by e-mail: barbara@curtisstokes.net.

Yacht Broker Barbara Burke - Curtis Stokes Yacht Brokerage
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Wifey B: If you're contacting listing brokers, what you're experiencing is normal, not just for women. Call, schedule an appointment to sit down and talk to potential buyer brokers. Perhaps even a female broker as there are many of them. I'll message you the name of one I know but there are many others.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #16

City: Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas and Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: Alibi II
Vessel Model: 1979 Allied Seawind II
I bought 2 boats through women brokers who did not do my species proud. Now looking to go back to trawler from sail, I think I might go with Melanie Neale (Tom's daughter, wrote the book Boat Girl) Profile Of Melanie Neale

Or Scott Schramm of Bayport Profile Of Scott Schramm

I've known him for about 15 years. He's passionate and energetic (is that the nice word for aggressive?) When it comes to boat sales. And a great buyer's advocate.
gunho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #17
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Hi Betsy. When I was shopping I would email questions, signing the letters

Janice (and Frank)
Frank is a statue of a pelican the kidlets bought me and "frankly" I was tired of being ignored for being a single woman boat shopping, Especially with 15k of miles as captain of our 40'er. (all coastal, so no oceans crossed mind you)

This is Frank:

As for Judy, although she was not involved in the eventual purchase of Seaweed, she was helpful in guiding me as far as how to go about the process. I liked her. And she was nice prior to me adding the (and Frank) to queries.

On the other hand, honestly there are a lot of tire-kickers out there shopping for boats. Females are not the norm. Just as when a fellow goes into a quilting or cross-stitch shop and is ignored, I go into a marine hardware store and have the same invisibility issues.

Of course I've got grey hair, am wearing a skirt, and carrying a dog in my purse... well, I suppose I'm not looking much like the typical boater. That's okay too.

I'm too old to be offended because I don't meet preconceived notions.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Betsy, if there are any boats your are interested in in central or NE Florida let me know. I have a male broker for you who will treat you right, or he knows I will kick his ass around the harbor!

Also I would point out that many brokers treat everyone like that - so in some cases it might not be that you are a woman, you are just sensitive to that angle, just that there are plenty of a-hole brokers generally!

I'll give you an example. When we were last looking for a boat we had our list of needs-to-have. My wife had an additional few - one of which was a washer and dryer, or space to install one. If the boat did not meet that criteria we were not buying. So our buyer broker, on each boat we looked at, challenged the selling broker to make it a priority to show us the washer and dryer or the capability to have them. We have a couple of brokers actually make fun of our broker for even worrying about that. Needless to say we were not happy with the way our broker was treated about OUR requirements.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
Guru

I wonder if any guys have been "dissed' by a female broker?
That one gender would "diss" another, in boat broking/buying/selling seems odd. Surely a brokers desire to turn a $ is paramount,getting involved in some gender war/dispute/bias seems self defeating bizarre,and contrary to the main aim of doing a deal to make a $. Why would a broker, or a number of them, depart from that? It makes no sense.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I wonder if any guys have been "dissed' by a female broker?
That one gender would "diss" another, in boat broking/buying/selling seems odd. Surely a brokers desire to turn a $ is paramount,getting involved in some gender war/dispute/bias seems self defeating bizarre,and contrary to the main aim of doing a deal to make a $. Why would a broker, or a number of them, depart from that? It makes no sense.
Wifey B: It's all hard to tell. So many guys talk about being dissed by brokers, no one can say whether females have more issues with brokers or not. It's like a local business that someone was claiming ignored him because he was black. I gold him I was afraid they just ignored everyone.

That said, I do believe there are some brokers who are less inclined to be helpful to female customers.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote