Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: It's all hard to tell. So many guys talk about being dissed by brokers, no one can say whether females have more issues with brokers or not. It's like a local business that someone was claiming ignored him because he was black. I gold him I was afraid they just ignored everyone.
That said, I do believe there are some brokers who are less inclined to be helpful to female customers.
I remember a car dealer here who, accused of discrimination against one class of persons said "No, I discriminate against everyone". Obviously BS, that would not be discriminating at all but just being a prick the whole time.
People interpret what is said or done by others. That interpretation is governed one`s own views,attitudes, and even presentation to those others. I`d have thought at least one male broker out of many might have behaved appropriately.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #22

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
The guy I bought my boat from treated me like an idiot. Note I was an officer in the Canadian Navy watch keeping certificate, took many courses, some power, some sail. Took radio and radar courses. But the guy I bought from knew I didn't know much.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
So in 2006 i was dismissed as a boat buyer. Finally went elsewhere and did not buy from that broker but found what we were looking for and bought our boat. Seems like women are not supposed to buy boats. I kinda passed it off as the times. But here i am now. ... Ready to buy a trawler... Looking to be a looper. I have done my research, know what i want... For the most part... But when i contact brokers.... I get totally dissed and passed over like i know nothing! So I'm a pilot, i know systems and engines and have owned and lived on boats most of my life,... But the freaking broker hears that a woman wants to buy a trawler.... And here ya go... You get total bs and that...tone... Like they don't want to even waste their time talking to me! Drives me crazy! I'm in Florida. Anyone know who i can turn to that will assist me in byung my "loop mobile" and treat me like a human being?

Maybe find a female broker? I bought and sold two sailboats using a friend of mine as the broker. She is very knowledgeable and professional. However, she has to deal with that type of crap all the time from other brokers as well as buyers. Never mind that she is an extremely accomplished and knowledgeable sailor with more experience than most any broker she will run across.

So, if you can find a good female broker in your area to work as a buyers broker, it may make the process go more smoothly. She can deal with the crap so you don’t have to.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #24

City: Corpus Christi
It’s not just you. I can barely get a broker to give a reply past... “just come on down”.... pardon me sir but before I jump on a plane perhaps we could converse a bit, thanks.... sales is about building relationship. Buying a cruising boat has become more like buying a car rather than a home at sea.... sorry you have had such a miserable experience.
J. Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
Pud’n and Jerry Waller - Gulf South Yacht Sales. They are based in Louisiana but will work with you to search boats all over.

Bill Warner - World Wide Yacht Sales in Cape Coral Florida. Pud’n and Jerry helped us negotiate with him on our boat and I flew there to see the boat and meet him personally. No nonsense sort of guy but if you are serious buyer and know your stuff he’s a great guy. Professional, knowledgeable, and friendly. But also very busy and will push back on “tire kickers”.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #26

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Odin
Vessel Model: Albin 28TE
Agree with the above comments: Call Judy:

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/20...-yacht-broker/
LN-RTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #27
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Having just recently sold our Birchwood 33 motor cruiser I can verify that 'tyre kickers' are not restricted to the states.
They breed over here too.
We spent hours online answering questions, cost of moorings, feasible cruising routes, showing folks around which you know are only curious but you have to go through the hoop in case 'the one' turns up and to be honest it does try your patience.
In our case we collected a guy from the local airport, taxied him around for 3 days buying meals etc and returned him to the airport, this happened twice, then he came again with his wife and daughter and we went through it all again.
On the fourth visit he came by car, on the second day I asked him straight out that if he wanted the boat to make an offer as I had another person interested and didn't want to mess him around.
He said yes that OK, reached into his car a gave me small satchel stuffed with paper money and didn't even argue the price.
It sure can be stressful.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #28
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Some salespeople do a better job at others when it comes to qualifying the sale. There's a balance to be struck on how much time is spent making the sale happen. Some have a particular way of approaching it that's worked for them. Sure, they're potentially missing a lot of sales, but they're also making sales that fit within their desired approach.

This is nothing new and it's not limited to boat brokers.

The savvy customer learns to do the same, qualify whether the broker is someone you can tolerate and are willing to allow to make the sale. Or know the product well enough to hold your nose to get the price you want.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Being a guy. I have not had this particular issue however when I was looking to buy my first trawler I was having trouble with what I wanted and what I could afford. I went through probably four brokers before one who would not give up on me. Finally found the right boat at the right price. Now my recent purchase was driven by my wife. I love telling it. We looked at a Californian 48 and a 55. She says “I like the big one”. So we bought it.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
FWIW In my opinion brokers = used car sales people. About the same respect.
Most, but not all, have no investment in the sale. Boat sells, fine. Boat doesn't sell, O well, wait for the next person to show up..... It's just a job.

Ask what kind of boat do they own. Surprising how many don't even own a boat.

When you do find a good broker treasure them.. Work with them, and buy a boat thru them. They have earned and deserve your business.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #31
Guru

City: gulf coast
Boat brokers like real estate brokers specialize in certain market segments. I'll bet if she was asking about 100' yacht the response would be different.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #32

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
I'm not surprised. The broker "industry" is loaded with sleezeballs.

To those saying "it happens in every industry" seems kind of dismissive to something most industries would find disgusting. A real estate broker wouldn't act like this because there's laws against it and they'd lose their license.

Bet if it happened to you'd have a stronger opinion.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #33
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I'm not surprised. The broker "industry" is loaded with sleezeballs.

To those saying "it happens in every industry" seems kind of dismissive to something most industries would find disgusting. A real estate broker wouldn't act like this because there's laws against it and they'd lose their license.

Bet if it happened to you'd have a stronger opinion.
Real estate brokers not sleezeballs? Oh, please, tell me another joke! They're probably worse than boat brokers.

I'm not saying it isn't disgusting. More than it's human nature. Caveat Emptor isn't a saying that's thousands of years old without a lot of history backing it up.

As for having stronger opinions or reactions, there's a fine line between wasting your time and playing a part from Cervantes.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #34

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
Hi Betsy - did you pilot for AUTEC? If so, I know you from a few years back...it is definitely not you that is the problem!

Best of luck in your search and hope you find a suitable broker.
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #35

City: Tarpon Springs
here is a good guy who will help.

call Mike Dickinson at Galati. 931-217-4419 he will help you

Quote:
So in 2006 i was dismissed as a boat buyer. Finally went elsewhere and did not buy from that broker but found what we were looking for and bought our boat. Seems like women are not supposed to buy boats. I kinda passed it off as the times. But here i am now. ... Ready to buy a trawler... Looking to be a looper. I have done my research, know what i want... For the most part... But when i contact brokers.... I get totally dissed and passed over like i know nothing! So I'm a pilot, i know systems and engines and have owned and lived on boats most of my life,... But the freaking broker hears that a woman wants to buy a trawler.... And here ya go... You get total bs and that...tone... Like they don't want to even waste their time talking to me! Drives me crazy! I'm in Florida. Anyone know who i can turn to that will assist me in byung my "loop mobile" and treat me like a human being?
Pete S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #36

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Try Doug Jenkins at Edwards Yacht sales 941 504 0790
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #37

City: Annapolis
Good broker

Barbara Burke
Yacht Sales
Curtis Stokes and Associates
direct phone 904.310.5110
direct fax 888.573.5113
www.CurtisStokes.net
www.StokedOnBoats.com
isphh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: stuart
WOW, Hold your horses, just a minute....buy your boats from the actual owners, you still have to get and pay for a survey...OWNERS,,,,,Eliminate the 10% useless fee and give that percent to the new buyers to close the deal. How many times has a broker called the boat owner to say they have an offer which is half what your asking, did that piss you off. NO, I won't use a broker to sell my boat, advertise it yourself.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #39

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Judy Waldman's connection is JW Yachts - Trawler and Yacht sales and brokerage in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #40

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Quote:
Hi Betsy,
Sorry to hear of your atrocious experience with this particular Yacht Broker. I'm relatively new to the profession myself, and I can't help but be a bit sensitive when I hear stories along this line. This is like the third negative encounter about Yacht Brokers that I've read on this forum, and I'm only looking from time to time
Anyway, please let me assure you that not all Yacht Brokers are like this. Personally, I love my job as a Yacht Broker, and passionate about creating lasting relationships. If we happen to find the right yacht for our Client along the way, well that's a win-win. You will find the right Broker, and the right yacht. Keep the faith

www.n62infinity.com
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote