Sojourner Registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

If your plans include cruising to Florida this winter on your trawler or motor yacht you need to be aware of the sojourner permit.

Florida requires that vessels be registered in Florida after 30 days in state. However, the state provides reciprocity for of out of state vessels. This allows you to operate your vessel in state waters for up to 90 days.

Read more at this link.....Florida Sojourner Permit

Last edited by a moderator:
That website is pointing to an old and out-dated form. The form now used (and actually, for the last several years) to register a vessel that is staying more than 90 days, but maintaining a registration in another state, is HSMV 67244 (Rev 11/11). It can be found here: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/87244.pdf

By the way, don't be surprised if you discover that the word "sojourner" does not appear anywhere in any Florida statutes, because... well, it doesn't! Nor does it appear on any Florida state form. This is now referred to in the statutes as a "temporary certificate of registration," rather than as a "sojourner's permit" (though some counties do still use the word "sojourner" on their websites).

I just came back from the Tax Collector office in Marathon. I purchased my temporary registration for my Documented boat that is registered in MD. $196 for the permit and it expires in October. Does anyone know if this temp registration is ever enforced? Whats the fine and who enforces it? I found words to the effect that is a "non-criminal offense". The state legislative web site looks like the fine may be $50 bucks but I am not sure with all the legal mumbo jumbo.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Back
Top Bottom