Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
City: somewhere
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
If you intend to keep the boat in Florida then tax is due.
If you purchase a boat from a seller direct without a broker or dealer then tax is due. If you are a non resident and purchase through a broker for $20 you can stay for 90 days with no tax due and for $425 you can stay for 180 days.
If you have a boat registered in RI or another no or low tax state and you bring the boat to Florida before you have owned the boat for six months then tax is due.
Florida is specific on the INTENTION of the owner. If you buy a boat here and intend to use it here tax is due.
Makes sense to me.

Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
You will have to pay the tax somewhere. Might as well be in Fl. where you are and the tax rate is relatively low.
We bought our boat in Fl. and had the 90 day green sticker for $20. We thought we might settle in Ms. again so we didn't pay the Fl. sales tax. half-way across the Gulf, we decided that we would go back to Kemah, Tx.
We registered in Tx. and a few weeks later we received a letter from Fl. It was to inform us that they sent a letter to Ms. letting them know we didn'y pay Fl. Tax. We then had to call Ms. and explain to them what happened. They informed us that they were looking for us via US mail. All we had to do was to send Ms. a copy of the Tx. registration and sales tax we paid in Tx.

I say go for it. beat the tax man. Maybe you will get lucky and get away with it. Then when you go to sell the boat, oh well, you figure that one out.

Cruising the Eastern U.S. Inland Waterways
Presently on the Tennessee River - Joe Wheeler State Park - Rogersville, Al.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member
City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390
I see boats, usually 60'+ very shiny sport fisherman, registered in Roadtown, which I assume is in Jamaica. I may be wrong but I don't think the owners are Jamaican, or the boats have ever even been to Jamaica.

millennium is offline   Reply With Quote