Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #21
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Twisted - that is very nice concise and understandable summary.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
2a) I don't know of any state that taxes things that are purchased out of state, and they are kept out of state. So if you buy your boat somewhere else, and keep it somewhere else, you don't need to worry about your residency state charging you any taxes.

Be careful, while the statement is true in part, it may not be true if you register your boat in your home state. The registration process may require payment of the use tax (sales tax alternative).

Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
The rules do vary from state to state. California tries to get taxes on you for anything.
When we moved to Washington State we had to show that we paid sales tax in the state where purchased. If the purchase state was less than Washington State base tax or none at all, then you had to pay the difference between Washington State sales tax and the original purchase state. Doesn't matter how long you have owned the boat.
This is to keep people from purchasing in Oregon where there is no sales tax and then waiting 3-6 months before registering it in Washington to get around paying Sales Tax. They were loosing far too much revenue.
Before we moved up here use to hear how Washington over taxed their population. The sales tax is around 9% depending on location but they don't have State Income Tax. Also, in California my boat and cars to register cost me a heck of a lot more than here in Washington.
Doesn't WA charge you sales tax and then puts a hefty excise tax on top of that?
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #24

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Doesn't WA charge you sales tax and then puts a hefty excise tax on top of that?
There was no additional taxes at time of purchase other than Sales Tax. I have to pay a tax every year on the registration of the boat. For my boat it averages about $450 right now but diminishes each year according to their value chart. Plus you have the Lease Hold tax that you pay on the slip rental that amounts to 12.5% and is included in your rent payment to the marina as required by Washington State Law.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Basically the same as property tax in other states. It's .005 times the fair market value with a minimum of $5. So for a $250,000 boat it would be $1250 per year. A little less than half what property tax would be in California. Infinitely more than Florida.

Now the OP has left us holding. Everyone giving all sorts of information, much of it not at all relevant to his situation as he's never come back to tell us what his situation is. We could help him much more if he'd share what state he's talking about, what the timing is.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Quote:
2a) I don't know of any state that taxes things that are purchased out of state, and they are kept out of state. So if you buy your boat somewhere else, and keep it somewhere else, you don't need to worry about your residency state charging you any taxes.

Be careful, while the statement is true in part, it may not be true if you register your boat in your home state. The registration process may require payment of the use tax (sales tax alternative).
Thanks. Good point.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #27
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Basically the same as property tax in other states. It's .005 times the fair market value with a minimum of $5. So for a $250,000 boat it would be $1250 per year. A little less than half what property tax would be in California. Infinitely more than Florida.

Now the OP has left us holding. Everyone giving all sorts of information, much of it not at all relevant to his situation as he's never come back to tell us what his situation is. We could help him much more if he'd share what state he's talking about, what the timing is.
Makes me happy to live in Florida with an antique vessel registration ($5 a year). I have been working in LA for the last couple of months with probably one more to go. I can not believe the taxes out here. I will be glad to get home.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. R2G. Your comment regarding antique boat registration raises an interesting point. Our vessel is a documented vessel with an out of state (not FL) hailing port. It is also 36 years old thereby qualifying for "antique" status. Hmmm...So, if I register in FL as an antique vessel I might get away with $5/ year rather than a hefty yearly fee....Hmmmm.....Nope, doesn't sound like THAT would work either.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #29
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post

Makes me happy to live in Florida with an antique vessel registration ($5 a year). I have been working in LA for the last couple of months with probably one more to go. I can not believe the taxes out here. I will be glad to get home.
What is the age for antique vessel status in Fla. ? This brings up an interesting thought as many of us have boats that may or may not be heading into that category.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
What is the age for antique vessel status in Fla. ? This brings up an interesting thought as many of us have boats that may or may not be heading into that category.
The vessel needs to be 30 years old and have the original "type" of propulsion. If it came with an inboard and you removed it and put an outboard on it. It does not qualify. If you repowered from gas to diesel it does not qualify. That is pretty much it.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. R2G. Your comment regarding antique boat registration raises an interesting point. Our vessel is a documented vessel with an out of state (not FL) hailing port. It is also 36 years old thereby qualifying for "antique" status. Hmmm...So, if I register in FL as an antique vessel I might get away with $5/ year rather than a hefty yearly fee....Hmmmm.....Nope, doesn't sound like THAT would work either.
RT,

Where are you and your boat?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. R2G. Currently, Broward County and we plan to be here for the next 6 months or so. NOT using the boat (have to go back home and water the lawn at some point) but she will be slipped here for longer than 90 days. We DO meet the requirements I read on: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/87243.pdf
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
The vessel needs to be 30 years old and have the original "type" of propulsion. If it came with an inboard and you removed it and put an outboard on it. It does not qualify. If you repowered from gas to diesel it does not qualify. That is pretty much it.
Does the Florida Personal Property Tax apply to Antique Vessels?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Does the Florida Personal Property Tax apply to Antique Vessels?
No,

Taken from Understanding Tangible Personal Property - Rick Singh, CFA - Orange County Property Appraiser

What is "tangible personal property"?
Tangible personal property is everything other than real estate that is used in a business or rental property. Examples of tangible personal property are computers, furniture, tools, machinery, signs, equipment, leasehold improvements, supplies, and leased equipment.

Who must file a personal property return?
Anyone owning Tangible personal property on January 1 must file a tax return by April 1 each year unless you were notified by our office that the filing requirement has been waived. Every new business owning tangible personal property on January 1 must file an initial tax return. In any year the assessed value of your tangible personal property exceeds $25,000, you are required to file a return. Taxpayers who lease, lend or rent property must also file a return.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: Liberdade
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Yes it's confusing.

Florida does not have personal property tax on personally owned recreational boats, antique or otherwise.

This seems to be a hot topic right now, maybe because the economy is better for many and fuel is cheap. I just finished writing an article on this subject which will appear in the summer issue of the Marina Life magazine Online marina reservations, marina information, & travel planning services. I interviewed an attorney in Annapolis, MD for the article who specializes in maritime law and has a web site you may find helpful. Maryland Real Estate Law. As a freelance writer, I have no affiliation with either of these organizations, just referring for any help they may be to the group.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #36

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Why not cut the chase ... register the boat where it will be used/moored most of the time (Florida?). Otherwise, but not wise, you might end up being forced to register in and/or pay tax to multiple jurisdictions.