Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

City: Hilton Head Island
Safes on Boats

So how many folks have safes on Boats? If traveling with cash or important papers (eg passports, etc) what do you do when away from boat with those valuables. Wife and I were just on Hilton Head island and ran boat out to lunch this weekend and as we walked away from dock to restaurant, this thought came to mind.
Thx for all comments.

Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I don't have a safe, but there are so many hiding places on a boat, that it hardly seems necessary. A Pelican (or other manufacturer) dry box, could be easily mounted in a concealed location, keeping thing secure and dry.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
No safe aboard. We just put anything really valuable away in a place we think that it wonít be found easily.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
We have a small safe hidden. If someone finds it they will be eventually able to get it off the boat - but will have to have walked down the dock with a heavy hammer and make a lot of noise to do so. Our approach is to make it as hard as possible for them.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Like others I hide things.

I do not lock the boat when I just to to lunch or the store. I have a intruder alarm that will sound some really loud sirens. Step into the cockpit, or enter through the pilothouse, either way it goes off.

The alarm arms itself automatically when I leave, disarms upon my return and of course also sends out a notification to my cell phone, as well as recording the intruder and uploading that to the cloud.

www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
We have a safe that is fairly well hidden. The previous owner installed it to be a gun safe. It also works for passports and money.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
The main purpose for a safe would be for guns as some localities require it. I agree with Ted, there are places on my boat that if I hide something there I may never find it again.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I have a handgun safe that I'm going to install on the boat in a place where nobody would think to look because you'd first have to know I had a safe on board and second know where this place existed. I won't use it for weapons but for papers, passports, money, etc.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: Atlanta
My old Burger had tons of "hidden" spots built in by the builder. Even a small section of the carpeted stairs lifted up. For valuables I used one of those heavy duty ziplock type folders, with a gel pack inside. Guns in Pelican cases with O-rings. Wouldn't want a heavy safe if I needed to grab my papers in a hurry and abandon ship, which almost happened once when a fire started in an electric heater.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think the safe is for when you are NOT aboard...a good ditch bag for when you are.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #11
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Well, when we went cruising full time some years ago, I stashed $1,000 in a not easy to find location under the electrical panel. I forgot about it when I sold the boat later, but asked the broker if he could retrieve it for me since he was helping the new owner do some upgrades. He got it out and we had a nice dinner together to celebrate the find.

We now split our time between a Connecticut condo and a Florida one. I keep a fireproof/waterproof portable SentrySafe for passports, wills, deeds, insurance policies and a little cash. See https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-CH...5748&s=gateway

I bring it back and forth between Ct and Fl. I used to have it bolted down in our Ct place but decided it didn't have enough value to bother with someone stealing it, so I now just keep it on a shelf in a closet.

For a boat you could use one and find a place to bolt it down. No thief is going to bring tools to remove it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I sort of have a hobby of making hiding places from ordinary objects so I have several on my boat. Some are big enough for a pistol though I generally don't carry any weapons on board beyond my freon horn and a longer barreled flare gun.

A thick, boring sounding book is easily hollowed out. There are fake oil, shave cream and other cans with screw on tops available from Amazon. I have emptied out and removed everything from a 12 volt battery and lined it with leather. The options are endless.

However, I agree with the majority. There are thousands of hiding places on a boat. In fact my P.O. tried to disguise an odor problem rather than source it out and fix it. He had put literally a bale of cedar chips under the master berth. They had long since lost their aroma but little by little they filtered through the cracks into the bilge. Turns out they were behind the bath tub, under false floors in closets, etc., etc. After I found them all I joked that drug intervention people should have been consulted, they could probably still find more.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #13
Guru

We have this Sentry. But as said, when crossing we take everything out and into a zip lock and into a buoyant ditch bag (got a new one bag for Christmas last year).

Most of the places we cruise are where I do not necessarily see people targeting and planning a robbery - more opportunists. So yes, it will take some doing, once they find it, to get the bolts (nuts inside the safe) off without tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sentrysafe.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	93694  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #14
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Those Sentry safes are laughable insecure. A strong magnet can often be used to easily unlock them. Which with the fad of magnet fishing isn't unlikely for someone to be carrying.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Other than marina guys with a magnet to get keys or sunglasses that fell overboard....thankfully I haven't seen too many strangers walking around marinas carrying strong magnets.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Those Sentry safes are laughable insecure. A strong magnet can often be used to easily unlock them. Which with the fad of magnet fishing isn't unlikely for someone to be carrying.
I have always found that unlocking a zip lock bag is much easier!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Other than marina guys with a magnet to get keys or sunglasses that fell overboard....thankfully I haven't seen too many strangers walking around marinas carrying strong magnets.
Wifey B: They try but they keep getting stuck on things.

Now, I figure Mark P is a professional thief and started this thread hoping to collect information from boaters as to where their cash and valuables are on their boats before targeting them all.

Now, seriously, don't think he is, but sometimes people online do act like no thief could ever come and read what they've typed. We tell them where we are, where our boat is, where our home is, that we leave our boat unlocked, that our valuables are stored in our bookshelf, and even what beer we have and how much. Good thing thieves don't seem to have descended here like they patrol facebook and other sites looking for useful information.

That said, I'm not about to answer more than "yes" and "do have an excellent security system."
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #18
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I have a handgun safe that I'm going to install on the boat in a place where nobody would think to look because you'd first have to know I had a safe on board and second know where this place existed. I won't use it for weapons but for papers, passports, money, etc.
Now we know to look for a safe on your boat... When are you not going to be aboard?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #19
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
No safe. Nothing much of real value aboard.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #20

City: Hilton Head Island
Well I am lawyer, so Wifey B is not too far off the
mark��. I like the stash it away idea but worry that I will forget like David did or throw away the thing that I hid the money or papers in. When we go to the next boat I think we're going to get a safe and get a moisture proof one.

Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote