Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
FF
Guru

Rules is Rules , but ??

Our Grumman Aluminum dink is usually rowed or sailed , but we got a great deal on a 12v trolling motor.

With no gas on board I wonder what the requirements for a 9 ft " electric power" dink would be?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Powered is powered...but in my experience, if your boat looks like it is safe an has life jackets in it....the LEOS rarely bother adults, in slow dink unless you are crashing a big scene where they are patrolling.

That said....most places I know of require it to be registered with numbers and a sticker.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

City: Tampa, FL
In Florida the law would require it to be registered. The rules don't differentiate between types of power or kinds of motor. It just says that to be exempt from registration your boat has to be "non-motor powered."

That said, odds of getting caught? Probably pretty small. Penalties if you do get caught? Not inconsequential, but not extraordinarily severe either.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Fred you're better off asking forgiveness IF you ever get caught. Old geezers in small boats are not high priority targets.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
Craig's advice makes sense. Here in Washington I'm pretty sure you would not need to register your skiff unless the motor was 10hp or more or if the skiff was 16 feet or longer. As you know these requirements vary from state to state and I suspect that, like Washington, you could pretty easily Google Florida's registration requirements for your skiff and motor setup.

But humming around in a low-powered skiff would most likely not arouse the interest of whoever has legal jurisdiction on the waters in Florida unless they were conducting some sort of "let's make an example of ___" campaign.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
You are a boater therefore you are rich and you should have to pay the state for your pleasures.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Our Grumman Aluminum dink is usually rowed or sailed , but we got a great deal on a 12v trolling motor.

With no gas on board I wonder what the requirements for a 9 ft " electric power" dink would be?
Call your local tag agency and ask. I can say that in both Georgia and Florida the word "motor" means numbers are required. I tried to get out of it. I paid $25 for three years in GA. Florida is less now because Algae is antique so I get the old boat discount. That kicks in at 30 years old in case you wondered.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:

Just put FF12895 on it, or whatever your number of posts is at the time.
They'll think you're from out of state and leave you alone.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"Florida is less now because Algae is antique so I get the old boat discount. That kicks in at 30 years old in case you wondered."

The FL requirement for an antique registration required the "Origonal engine to be in place.

Fine with my Utility boat , a 6-71 is a 6-71 , but a battery powered trolling motor ?

Probably will try "Tender To" on the dink , and stay close to shore where the risk of damaging the running gear of the police boat would outweigh the joy of issuing another ticket.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Fake windup key added to the top, when a water-cop is in view pretend to wind it up.

Like this but a bit smaller...

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Varies greatly - in LA, if you float a tongue depressor with twisted rubber band power on state waters - you need a registration.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
"Florida is less now because Algae is antique so I get the old boat discount. That kicks in at 30 years old in case you wondered."

The FL requirement for an antique registration required the "Origonal engine to be in place.

Fine with my Utility boat , a 6-71 is a 6-71 , but a battery powered trolling motor ?

Probably will try "Tender To" on the dink , and stay close to shore where the risk of damaging the running gear of the police boat would outweigh the joy of issuing another ticket.
FF
Actually it states "original type". It does not have to be the same motor, but if it came with an inboard diesel it has to have an inboard diesel. You can not change it out to a gasser or outboard.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
In TX you do not need registration if it is a tender to a bigger boat. BUT, it can only be used traveling back and forth from the mother ship.

I would not want to try and explain that to the water police in another state, so our tender is registered.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #14

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Varies greatly - in LA, if you float a tongue depressor with twisted rubber band power on state waters - you need a registration.
That's funny. Most of the North East is that way btw. So what are we talking here, $35 and a few stickers?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin wrote;
"Here in Washington I'm pretty sure you would not need to register your skiff unless the motor was 10hp or more or if the skiff was 16 feet or longer."

Registration is required in WA Marin if it has an engine or motor for propulsion. I inquired as to that re my 18' power canoe. And a standard canoe w a bracket for an engine needs to be registered also. Even rubber duckies w a motor of any kind for propulsion will still need registration. Only if it's paddled or sailed would it evade the registration requirement. And then only up to a certain length.

I think they were just looking for revenue on this one.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:

I would NEVER put T/T (tender to) on my dinghy. All that does is advertise that your boat is unoccupied. At a public dinghy dock, that's the last thing I'd want to do.

Now Algae is the dink for Seaweed, and the names go together if you think about it. I've seen others with similar, such as Wandering Star's dink was called Asteroid.

I'd never suggest T/T as a name for the auxiliary boat. I've got a list in my Log Book of interesting pairings that I've collected along the waterways...
Old 11-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No engine, no sails. No numbers, no stickers. Making it simple.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin wrote;
"Here in Washington I'm pretty sure you would not need to register your skiff unless the motor was 10hp or more or if the skiff was 16 feet or longer."

Registration is required in WA Marin if it has an engine or motor for propulsion. I inquired as to that re my 18' power canoe..
Here are the official WA exemptions for registration.

If your vessel is a canoe, kayak, or a vessel not propelled by a motor or sail.
If your vessel is less than 16 feet in length and has a motor of 10 horsepower or less and is used on non-federal waters only.
If your vessel is properly registered by a resident of another state or country who uses Washington waters for 60 days or fewer.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Hells bells, we'll argue about anything.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #20
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Good grief. What is the tag fees on that - $30? Pay the damn thing already.

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote