Old 11-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Craig,
What do you mean arguing? You must be having flashbacks of being a mod again.

Marin and I aren't arguing. He's help'in me/us out.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #22

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Janice wrote: "I've got a list in my Log Book of interesting pairings that I've collected along the waterways..."

Here's one for your list - a 60' Hatteras MY named DO IT NOW, carrying a 13' Boston Whaler with the name (in matching font) DONE DID IT. The hailing port was someplace in Texas, as I recall.

Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Craig,
What do you mean arguing? You must be having flashbacks of being a mod again.

Marin and I aren't arguing. He's help'in me/us out.
Yeah, it won't be arguing until somebody gets wrapped around the axle.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Registering the dink (Zodiac 9 footer with a 4 horse) costs me about $15 - but I'll bet I spent $100 figuring out some secure, weather-proof, decent looking way to display the numbers and annual stickers. I'm still not there. Next time I renew I'm going to bring a birthday party balloon with me and ask the registrar to show me how to display the stickers on an inflatable rubber object.
kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
NSW Australia You can buy a 60' boat head out to sea do a lap of Australia as long as you dont go over 10Knots But if you own a 12" tinny with a 6hp motor you must have a license and the boat must be registered

And please be careful driving down the main St of Sydney you hit a kangaroo after sunset

When is a licence required NSW AUSTRALIA

The speed at which you drive your boat will determine whether you need a licence.
If you drive a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters, at a speed of 10 knots (18.5km/h) or more, you must have a boat driver licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane (rise up and skim on top of the water, instead of ploughing through it).
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 AM   #26
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
NSW Australia You can buy a 60' boat head out to sea do a lap of Australia as long as you dont go over 10Knots But if you own a 12" tinny with a 6hp motor you must have a license and the boat must be registered

And please be careful driving down the main St of Sydney you hit a kangaroo after sunset

When is a licence required NSW AUSTRALIA

The speed at which you drive your boat will determine whether you need a licence.
If you drive a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters, at a speed of 10 knots (18.5km/h) or more, you must have a boat driver licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane (rise up and skim on top of the water, instead of ploughing through it).
Nope to the bit in red, you will have issues north of the NSW State border. In Queensland you need a current licence from somewhere (there is a list of acceptable international ones) if your engine is over 4.5KW. Not sure about the other States but likely to be similar. The NSW situation is weird - intended for blowboats no doubt. It might be an interesting discussion with the authorities if the 60' boat was capable of more than 10 knots.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Depends on the state in the USA. Oregon gave me a ticket for a non licensed inflatable dingy with a tiny electric trolling motor.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"Good grief. What is the tag fees on that - $30? Pay the damn thing already."

Its not the fees that are a PIA.

Our dink is simply yanked up over the wide stern platform and lashed down.

OK passing up the motor and a heavy battery is no fun ,

but the addition of all the garbage required Day Night signaling devices (inspected) fire extinguisher (inspected) and all the rest of the gov trash Required to keep me safe is a bigger PIA ..

Will probably have to reinstall the aft crane , and work out a location for the placard pile , Crew injuries , garbage dumping no discharge and the rest.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #29

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Registering the dink (Zodiac 9 footer with a 4 horse) costs me about $15 - but I'll bet I spent $100 figuring out some secure, weather-proof, decent looking way to display the numbers and annual stickers. I'm still not there. Next time I renew I'm going to bring a birthday party balloon with me and ask the registrar to show me how to display the stickers on an inflatable rubber object.
Not the ultimate in "secure" but many people put the numbers on a piece of plastic polymer (the stuff that Starboard is made of) and attach that to the grab line near the bow.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #30
Guru

City: Northport
"Not the ultimate in "secure" but many people put the numbers on a piece of plastic polymer (the stuff that Starboard is made of) and attach that to the grab line near the bow."

I have had no problem with that method.
Also had no problem with 'painting' numbers on the inflatable.
No issue with 'gluing' numbers on either.
And had success gluing on 'pockets' which would hold the number 'placs' themselves.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #31

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Here is something to consider. If the vessel is registered, it is compelled to be compliant with the requirements of the authority which registered it. (i.e . if it is registered in NH, which does not require a Co detector, then it does not require a CO detector when operated in CT, which does require them). HOWEVER, if there is no registration, then it is subject to the requirements of the state where it is operated.

If you're dinghy does not require registration for under 10HP in your home state, but the visiting state requires a registration, it is going to be difficult to make that argument to a LEO in the state where you're not compliant.

It matters not what is required in 48 other states. what matters is the original state and the state of operation.

Finally, for $30.00 is this really a problem. Just slap a sticker on it!!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I would NEVER put T/T (tender to) on my dinghy. All that does is advertise that your boat is unoccupied. At a public dinghy dock, that's the last thing I'd want to do.
100% agree...it's really just an invitation to a thief.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #33
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
South Australia has the same rules as many of the US states. ANY vessel with a motor requires registration, except canoes/kayaks with electric motors 0.2hp or less.

My inflatable dinghy cost AUS$43 to register plus a couple bucks for permanent markers to draw the registration numbers.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #34
Guru

I agree with others as to not really seeing why one would choose to violate a law when the cost is so little. As to likelihood of being ticketed, which shouldn't be relevant, I'd say it's much greater than you think. If you're moving it's immediately detectable from a distance and doesn't require approaching or inspecting. I see a boat under propulsion, I see no numbers, I go ticket. No work at all, unless I see more things to add to the ticket.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #35

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Travel 1/2 day at 5 kts instead of 6.5 kts then use the savings in fuel to pay for the registration.
They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #36
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I've been watching this thread and find it interesting for many years I refused to license my dinghy. In WA you don't have to register it if you only use it to go to shore and back.

Well we used it to run all over the place and always got away with it because nobody checked.

Now, we have two Whalers, one in AZ and one in WA. Both are registered and have all the required equipment. The total cost is somewhere around $65-$75. That's a small price to pay for not having to worry about those chats with the water cops.

Must be I'm becoming less of a rebel in my old age!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #37

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Must be I'm becoming less of a rebel in my old age!
Ain't that the truth. I have glove compartment full of warnings and citations, but I haven't chatted with a trooper in 10 years.....
Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #38
Guru

One of the issues with not registering is that while the state you're from may be ok with it, states you visit may not then exempt you from their requirements. Much like is described above in Australia.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #39
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I would NEVER put T/T (tender to) on my dinghy. All that does is advertise that your boat is unoccupied. At a public dinghy dock, that's the last thing I'd want to do.

Now Algae is the dink for Seaweed, and the names go together if you think about it. I've seen others with similar, such as Wandering Star's dink was called Asteroid.

I'd never suggest T/T as a name for the auxiliary boat. I've got a list in my Log Book of interesting pairings that I've collected along the waterways...
Janice, I saw a pediatrician that towed a tender behind his sail boat. The boat was named Baby Doc, and the tender was named Little Tender Behind.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote