Recommendation for buyer's broker in the Southeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bes1020

I'm looking for recommendations for a buyer's broker somewhere between Ft. Lauderdale and Savannah. I know this is a question asked fairly frequently however I searched and did not see a lot of recent information. Thank you in advance.

Greetings,
Mr. b. What price range are you willing to pay for a boat. The reason I ask is some brokers are not interested in "lower range" vessels.

If you're looking for 'Buyer's Broker' you won't find much. What you're looking for is a "Yacht Broker". ALL brokers serve in the role as a 'buyer's broker' and a 'sellers broker', just like in real estate.

The idea is you don't want to deal with the sellers broker, because that means you're basically entering the deal with no knowledgeable representation. The seller has the broker and you have you. Find any reputable yacht/marine broker and contract them.

I think I have a pretty good grasp of the nature of the relationship. To your point of it being similar to using a real estate agent; I have been involved in dozens of real estate transactions and I know the difference a good agent can make. I am just looking for the names of a few brokers where people have been satisfied.

Which raises the eternal question, why is a Buyer's Broker needed?

Greetings,
Mr. s. Many reasons IMO. When we were looking for our trawler we did so from Canada. The broker (Tucker Falon-sp? Sorry Tucker) went to look at several potential boats in Florida AND one in Puerto Rico (on our dime) to check them out. Saved us air fair and vacation time. Also, by having Tucker look things over we wouldn't have missed a "good deal" which may have been time sensitive.

He DID cross the state and look at the boat we eventually bought and kept for 18 years.

Good brokers KNOW exactly what questions to ask of the selling broker that the "average Joe" may not AND a good broker can interpret answers and detect potential BS.

Your broker gets his 1/2 of the commission and no $$ come out of your pocket IF the selling broker is willing to split same.

Good points RT. There are many reasons to go with one and many not to. Hopefully the OP will opine on why he needs one. Unlike real estate transactions, it is not needed in all marine cases.

Twenty years ago we went with a buyers broker as it guaranteed a slip in "his" marina. I'd recommend newbies use a reputable buyer's broker but the rub is -- where and how do you find one. Tucker and Judy Waldman come to mind if you're on the East Coast.

When we sold our unlisted boat in Canada last year a joint broker was used to handle the paper work and funds transfers. Seamless and a very honest BC broker.

Greetings,
Mr. s. Ah yes, the paperwork. Being Canadian we had no idea of the American process. Another plus!

We just purchased a trawler with the assistance of JMYS. Jeff is a well known name in the community and Mark (who is local to Fl) was fantastic to work with.

Regarding “why is it needed”?

The boat we purchased never hit the open market, neither did 3 others we looked at. Relationships and experience matter. Having tried and true contract paperwork, accounts setup for escrow, etc. help.

If you’re looking at a boat with seller representation why not have someone to advise you?

I’m generally the kind of guy who diys lots of stuff. But at the same time I am well compensated in my work as an expert. There’s no compression algorithm for experience and there are honest folks out there to provide the benefit of theirs to your benefit.

Jeff and his team worked with us over a long time. I never felt pressured and actually got sound advice on a number of occasions from them to pass on opportunities that made our search longer and postponed their payday.

Greetings,

I would strongly advise against using Curtis Stokes. Our experience with him when we wanted to list our 1979 46' Cheoy Lee LRC was very much less than satisfactory.

I even would NOT want to deal with him if he were representing a boat we might be interested in buying.

MY opinion only.

I personally know this gent, very good guy and low pressure type personality. I worked with him previously.
photo
Bill Powers
Yacht Broker CPYB

M 954-826-9663
E bill@26northyachts.com
W www.26NorthYachts.com
A 2525 Marina Bay Drive W. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

Good luck

I'm looking for recommendations for a buyer's broker somewhere between Ft. Lauderdale and Savannah. I know this is a question asked fairly frequently however I searched and did not see a lot of recent information. Thank you in advance.

Just a quick response from my phone. We fired POP Yachts after a series of disappointing boats and finding out they list boats they've never even been on board.

Judy Waldman is one of the best brokers in the trawler field. She is knowledgeable, patient and attentive. I met Judy when I was shopping for a Hatteras LRC years ago. She told me what issues were likely to come up in surveys and didn't sugar coat anything. She had my back the entire time. When I found the right LRC to renovate I asked her to sell the yacht I owned at that time. She wasted no time and found buyers for it quickly. I know I can call her anytime for advice. If you want to find the right boat for your needs she's the one to call. If you have the wrong boat in mind she will coach you into the right boat. I've worked in the maritime field for 35 years. Brokers like Judy Waldman are hard to find. Call Judy. (954) 895-8844. You will not regret it!

Buyers Broker

We have used Mike Webster of Hanson Yachts in Jacksonville, FL three times as our representative, both buying and selling. He is very knowledgeable on boats and he is not pushing you into a purchase. He also has a great team of surveyors and support people you might need.
904-384-3113

I would definitely agree that having an agent that you bring to the table is important and it doesn’t cost you anything.
My experience with Ron Housman with United Yacht was very good and I would recommend him.

Which raises the eternal question, why is a Buyer's Broker needed?

I think all would agree it is not required but I'd ask why wouldn't you want someone representing your interest??

My ( limited) experience was that selling broker divulged some info to buyer broker that I would suspect would never have been told directly to the buyer (me).

Last edited:
My ( limited) experience was that selling broker divulged some info to buyer broker that I would suspect would never have been told directly to the buyer (me).
Surely the "buyers broker" has an absolute duty to tell his principal(the buyer) all he learns about the boat and the transaction. The Sellers broker ought realize that.
Still seems weird the seller, via his broker, pays the buyers broker. That leaves a nasty taste in the mouth( the late Barry Humphries would have added ",like oral sex").

Surely the "buyers broker" has an absolute duty to tell his principal(the buyer) all he learns about the boat and the transaction. The Sellers broker ought realize that.
Still seems weird the seller, via his broker, pays the buyers broker. That leaves a nasty taste in the mouth( the late Barry Humphries would have added ",like oral sex").

The financial practices established long ago and no idea how it has evolved.

I liken using one (selling) broker to represent both sides ( whether boats or real estate) like using one lawyer to represent both sides in a suit... would you do that even if you paid half the fees??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom