Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Financial Matters and Red Tape

Old 05-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #41
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Its the cpmpleted paperwork or the chain of it that satisfies the authorities...not whether a broker is used or not.

It's just a question of how much work you want to do rather than paying someone else to do it.

That may require investigation, asking questions and following up muh beyond the simple when things aren't as they appear to be.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #42
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Confirm by phone....really??? Does anyone at the USCG answer questions like this and do they even answer the phone? There is a USCG station just down the road. Maybe some one there can enlighten us.

Not the local station. NVDC. They've been very helpful when I've had questions.

South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #43
City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
If I decide not to try to complete the paper work to bring the documentation up to date after a 20 year or so hiatus, will leaving the documentation number on the boat cause any issues? Should I remove it or just leave it there?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #44
City: Gloucester, MA
No problem leaving the documentation number there. In fact, I think you should leave it in case someone down the road wants to redocument it. Removing the number may raise questions about the boat's lineage, whether it was stolen at some point, etc. There is also no problem with having a boat that has been removed from documentation. In fact, when a documented boat is sold, it is automatically removed from documentation and doesn't get returned until the new owner files to do so. Normally that's a back-to-back process, but I found this out the hard way when I thought filing the USCG Bill of Sale would also switch the documentation to my name. It didn't.

I've done the documentation paperwork twice myself, and paid someone the third time. If you have time, are detail-oriented, and don't mind doing some research, it can easily be done yourself. But you are still likely to make a mistake or two that will slow the process. If you are in a hurry or are not detail-oriented, then using a documentation agent is money well spent.

My first time I got it all right.

My second time I made a mistake that slowed things a bit, but I had plenty of time so no big deal.

The third time I hired someone because I needed to get it through quickly
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #45
Dauntless Award
City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are many excellent documentation agencies and the cost is quite modest. If you've never done it before, I'd recommend using one. They can handle title abstracts, lien searches (yes, UCC liens may fall outside a title abstract), bills of sale and even escrow services on the sale.

If you have to ask the question, you should get a documentation agency. period.

M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently in Western Europe
Blog: http://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote