Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89;
The selection around here in Seattle is mostly for the lakes. More North, I see boats for colder, rougher terrain. It seems the focus is more on reliability and sturdiness, rather then ice-maker, bar chairs, individual A/C, etc. I am sure there are good ones around Seattle waters, too, I just cannot afford them.
If you believe there is that big a difference between Seattle and Vancouver, then you are not seeing what you are looking at.

Large numbers of WA boats, particularly in the Bellingham, Anacortes areas are built and rigged the same as those a few miles north. A year ago "affordability" was a considerable factor but Canadian prices have caught up to the US and all the Canadian bargains are already wearing red white and blue.

If you were one of my sons, I'd be telling him to slow down but he wouldn't listen.

Either.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
I don't have a solid answer, but I think all three you have mentioned.
The selection around here in Seattle is mostly for the lakes. More North, I see boats for colder, rougher terrain. It seems the focus is more on reliability and sturdiness, rather then ' ice-maker, bar chairs, individual A/C, etc. '
I am sure there are good ones around Seattle waters, too, I just cannot afford them. Limits, limits, limits.... lol
Most of the boats you see in Washington are designed to be used in the inland coastal waters of the Salish Sea. They almost never will see big water outside of the Straits of Juan de Fuca and Georgia. And for those, they pick weather windows. As near as I can tell it is the same in BC.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #23
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
I don't have a solid answer, but I think all three you have mentioned.
The selection around here in Seattle is mostly for the lakes. More North, I see boats for colder, rougher terrain. It seems the focus is more on reliability and sturdiness, rather then ' ice-maker, bar chairs, individual A/C, etc. '
I am sure there are good ones around Seattle waters, too, I just cannot afford them. Limits, limits, limits.... lol
Dont forget to shop in California as well. There are lots of good boats for sale, and many of them are fresh water boats.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #24

City: Kirkland
I am, I am, .... lol

You sent me to Mr. Pascoe's web site and now I am more discouraged than ever! The things I am reading there, not very promising. So, I am learning. I am slowing down. I am thinking things over.

No more 60' for 60K dream....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I'd be telling him to slow down but he wouldn't listen.

Either.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Affordable debt to acquire long-term necessities works for me, but not for toys/hobbies unless one has income-producing assets one doesn't want to dispose of at the time.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
There are not many blue water boats in the 50 to 75 ft range, so you have to know understand what a blue water boat. The best is walk thru boat yards as what is below the water line is equally more important. So just looking at the super structure does not tell the the whole story. There are far more blue water sail boats than motor boats. However what makes a blue water is the same basic of a sail boat, so you have to search them out.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #27

You did not mean marinas, but boat yards where the boats are fixed, etc.?
Will they let me in, just to walk around?
I think I understand your point about the blue water boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
There are not many blue water boats in the 50 to 75 ft range, so you have to know understand what a blue water boat. The best is walk thru boat yards as what is below the water line is equally more important.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #28

You are correct, but the delivery makes it lot more expensive to buy from California, or other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Dont forget to shop in California as well. There are lots of good boats for sale, and many of them are fresh water boats.