Outcome of survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieCraig

Vessel Name
The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Make
Private builder - 50' Trawler
Well, we just had our boat cleaned and surveyed and she came through as sound both structurally and mechanically which is a load off the mind....however it appears the guy who built her as a shrimper originally and then also modded her to a liveaboard type trawler has a shrimpers mentality when it comes to the electrics and plumbing.

The AC and DC panel are all one...which while it makes sense to me apparently isn't OK with the CG. So if we want to get her insured we shall have to create a separate board for one or the other...which will give me the opportunity to install a larger capacity inverter as well. Otherwise its really just a CG approved battery storage area and replace some hoses...:thumb:

I will also install either a 10kw gen head on the 300 hr, 2 cyl Kubota that is currently there (if I can find the HP rating and it will drive the head) or save up and get a new diesel genset.

The surveyor (I cannot recommend him enough, a wealth of knowledge) reckons its been a very long time since he has seen such a well built and over engineered hull so that was excellent news...just thought I would update the group, if anyone needs a surveyor on the Sth TX coast, hit me up for his details...crusty old bugger but a really great guy...:)

The only other thing I was advised was to look into changing the gear box (and then prop) for a different ratio as she is still set for shrimping speed but I am really not in a hurry so 7 knots is fine for me...all in all, a good result.

The AC and DC panel are all one...which while it makes sense to me apparently isn't OK with the CG. The only other thing I was advised was to look into changing the gear box (and then prop) for a different ratio as she is still set for shrimping speed but I am really not in a hurry so 7 knots is fine for me...all in all, a good result.

I have been on plenty of boats, including mine, where the DC and AC breakers on the front are the behind "same" panel door but behind the panel the wiring is all separately loomed and harnessed. I have a separate panel and door for the battery switches and // switch immediately adjacent to the AC/DC panel.

Why are you thinking of changing out the gear set and prop again? So long as the boat can achieve rated RPM with the existing setup just throttle back and enjoy the ride when you want to go slow - and save some $$.

Don't believe everything a surveyor says as gospel.

ABYC “AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats”, Standard E-11 permits AC and DC to share the same panel but requires that access to energized parts of the AC side need further use of tools. CFR's make no mention of the issue.

PS. On this and several other forums, surveyors are often nothing more than a target. If you found a good one give him his credit due by stating his name.

As long as the two different circuits are separated, I see no issue.

But, see your local marine expert to verify.

Sounds like you have a winner!

Congrats

PS. On this and several other forums, surveyors are often nothing more than a target. If you found a good one give him his credit due by stating his name.

If the surveyor told him he needs to redo his AC and DC panels it would be helpful to know why. Ditto the reference to re-doing the prop and transmission. A $10K or so group of redoing's is nothing to sneeze at.

The ac and dc are, as Sunchaser said, separately loomed but the switches, gauges and breakers are all on the one panel. Personally I thought the PO had done a very professional looking job....I shall certainly do some further investigation before completely rewiring anything....

With regards the gearbox and prop I will most likely not change anything unless/until the gearbox goes west. I am quite happy with the low speed and low engine revs...my days of 'the need for speed' are well behind me...

The surveyor said that the A/C and D/C wiring had to be on searate panels per 'ABYC standards'.

I take Boatpokers point and I am asking the surveyors permission to publish his details.

AC and DC circuits can be on the same panelboard, but the AC needs to have an insulated cover to enclose all of the open connections. You can make one out of thin plywood.

David

No Sir Mr. Bum, I have given up trying to impart my sense of class, style and expanded vocabulary to my new US compatriots....LMAO...kidding, I have learned a LOT since arriving here...

The surveyor said that the A/C and D/C wiring had to be on searate panels per 'ABYC standards'.

I take Boatpokers point and I am asking the surveyors permission to publish his details.

ABYC standards are not required to get insurance on an existing boat. This is one more example of a surveyor incorrectly citing ABYC as some sort of requirement...it's pure phoney balony. I'd think twice about concluding that this guy is a good surveyor. Sounds like he's an example of what's wrong with the surveyor community.

No Sir Mr. Bum, I have given up trying to impart my sense of class, style and expanded vocabulary to my new US compatriots....LMAO...kidding, I have learned a LOT since arriving here...

That is definitely a swipe much appreciated here...

Touche' snipe hunter

@ Beachbum...I am glad to find another aficionado of the sarcastic comment...:rofl:

ABYC standards are not required to get insurance on an existing boat. This is one more example of a surveyor incorrectly citing ABYC as some sort of requirement...it's pure phoney balony. I'd think twice about concluding that this guy is a good surveyor. Sounds like he's an example of what's wrong with the surveyor community.

Well, I CAN say he was thorough...so, please forgive my lack of USA experience but is it not the case that the CG can board you and 'book' you for items not up to standards ?

Well, I CAN say he was thorough...so, please forgive my lack of USA experience but is it not the case that the CG can board you and 'book' you for items not up to standards ?
No..the USCG can only go after "safety gear requirements and a few others like MSD stuff" as you are an uninspected vessel (unless you are carrying passengers for hire)...most USCG boarding teams wouldn't know an ABYC "suggestion" from the Wall Street Journal.

Was that boat wrapped up in fiberglass when it was built. Or did the glass come later in it's life.Just curious about that.

ABYC Standards are voluntary but widely accepted by North American courts as "the" standard of good marine practice.

The United States Code and the Code of Federal Reulations, Title 46 covers the mandatory legal requirements of equipment that must be carried, electrical systems installation, ventilation systems for gasoline powered boats, fuel systems and a number of other things.

You can sift through thousands of pages of Title 46 (most of which has nothing to do with boats) on-line for the pages relevant to boats or you can buy a paperback book from ABYC with all the relevant excerpts.

Title 46 is not nearly as comprehensive as the ABYC standards and many marine insurance companies do require ABYC compliance for some electrical issues, LPG systems, fuel systems and anything else that may blow you up or set you on fire. It is entirely within their perogative to demand compliance with any standard they see fit.

Was that boat wrapped up in fiberglass when it was built. Or did the glass come later in it's life.Just curious about that.

It was glassed, heavily, when it was first built...

ABYC Standards are voluntary but widely accepted by North American courts as "the" standard of good marine practice.

The United States Code and the Code of Federal Reulations, Title 46 covers the mandatory legal requirements of equipment that must be carried, electrical systems installation, ventilation systems for gasoline powered boats, fuel systems and a number of other things.

You can sift through thousands of pages of Title 46 (most of which has nothing to do with boats) on-line for the pages relevant to boats or you can buy a paperback book from ABYC with all the relevant excerpts.

Title 46 is not nearly as comprehensive as the ABYC standards and many marine insurance companies do require ABYC compliance for some electrical issues, LPG systems, fuel systems and anything else that may blow you up or set you on fire. It is entirely within their perogative to demand compliance with any standard they see fit.

Thankyou Gentlemen, I will be doing a LOT of reading and investigation before I make any moves....

Lucky you on both counts.We have used Dixieland as well.very impressed and highly detailed reports.

No..the USCG can only go after "safety gear requirements and a few others like MSD stuff" as you are an uninspected vessel (unless you are carrying passengers for hire)...most USCG boarding teams wouldn't know an ABYC "suggestion" from the Wall Street Journal.

Exactly!!

Too many boaters get soooo unnecessarily paranoid! There are many false notions regarding what can/can't be done by boat owners and by boarding officials such as the CG. IMHO... just keep your boat in good condition, have necessary safety equipment aboard, carry registration/insurance papers, and practice good/safe boatmanship. :thumb:

Then - - > Go Enjoy! After all this is “Pleasure Boating”!! :speed boat:

That's great news sounds like you got yourself a well built boat . Our boat is also a conversion from a small longliner. Yea it still has some of the fish funk hanging around but getting better everyday . We just ran 40 miles yesterday at 6.9 knots .It was perfect for us . There are enough fast boats around here with all the bass tournaments . Sometimes it looks like NASCAR on the water.

The only other thing I was advised was to look into changing the gear box (and then prop) for a different ratio as she is still set for shrimping speed but I am really not in a hurry so 7 knots is fine for me...all in all, a good result.

As a guess the existing gear is 6-1 or 4.5-1 so the engine can get up on the HP curve and tow a couple of tons of nets.

The actual power required to power the boat , sans nets will be very much lower.

However the cost of a different gearbox and prop work would probably never be recovered with fuel savings.

IF the tranny blew , it might be time to contemplate a different gear ratio.

The electric will be fine , just remember when dockside playing with the DC stuff must be done with care behind the combined switch box..

Back
Top Bottom