Outcome of survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only other thing I was advised was to look into changing the gear box (and then prop) for a different ratio as she is still set for shrimping speed but I am really not in a hurry so 7 knots is fine for me...all in all, a good result.

As a guess the existing gear is 6-1 or 4.5-1 so the engine can get up on the HP curve and tow a couple of tons of nets.

The actual power required to power the boat , sans nets will be very much lower.

However the cost of a different gearbox and prop work would probably never be recovered with fuel savings.

IF the tranny blew , it might be time to contemplate a different gear ratio.

The electric will be fine , just remember when dockside playing with the DC stuff must be done with care behind the combined switch box..

My thinking exactly, if the trans gives up (goes west, south or anywhere it shouldnt LOL) then I might change it up, for now its fine....although when I used the prop calculator on the website the other Gent suggested it did give me a totally different number than whats currently on her. But, if it aint broke I won't be 'fixing' it...:nonono:

Exactly!!

Too many boaters get soooo unnecessarily paranoid! There are many false notions regarding what can/can't be done by boat owners and by boarding officials such as the CG. IMHO... just keep your boat in good condition, have necessary safety equipment aboard, carry registration/insurance papers, and practice good/safe boatmanship. :thumb:

Then - - > Go Enjoy! After all this is “Pleasure Boating”!! :speed boat:
Excellent advice, thankyou !

IF the engine gives up you might contemplate a far smaller engine , bolted to that really deep reduction gear.

IF the engine gives up you might contemplate a far smaller engine , bolted to that really deep reduction gear.

I was actually thinking that, the prop calculator page stated that a startlingly small amount of HP was needed to push it to hull speed....surprising to say the least...:eek:

Back
Top Bottom