Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Cast Off
Vessel Model: 1984 hunter 34
Was that boat wrapped up in fiberglass when it was built. Or did the glass come later in it's life.Just curious about that.

Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post
Well, I CAN say he was thorough...so, please forgive my lack of USA experience but is it not the case that the CG can board you and 'book' you for items not up to standards ?
ABYC Standards are voluntary but widely accepted by North American courts as "the" standard of good marine practice.

The United States Code and the Code of Federal Reulations, Title 46 covers the mandatory legal requirements of equipment that must be carried, electrical systems installation, ventilation systems for gasoline powered boats, fuel systems and a number of other things.

You can sift through thousands of pages of Title 46 (most of which has nothing to do with boats) on-line for the pages relevant to boats or you can buy a paperback book from ABYC with all the relevant excerpts.

Title 46 is not nearly as comprehensive as the ABYC standards and many marine insurance companies do require ABYC compliance for some electrical issues, LPG systems, fuel systems and anything else that may blow you up or set you on fire. It is entirely within their perogative to demand compliance with any standard they see fit.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #23

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
I recieved his permission...this is the surveyor...

R. L. "Dick" Frenzel, SAMS-AMS/SMS, NAMS-CMS
President, Dixieland Marine Inc.
Seabrook and LaGrange, TX
Local, National, and International Assignments
Dixieland Marine, Marine Survey and Consulting Services
Maritime - Marine Litigation Consultant & Expert Witness - Captain R. Frenzel
713-419-8855

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
Was that boat wrapped up in fiberglass when it was built. Or did the glass come later in it's life.Just curious about that.
It was glassed, heavily, when it was first built...

Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
ABYC Standards are voluntary but widely accepted by North American courts as "the" standard of good marine practice.

The United States Code and the Code of Federal Reulations, Title 46 covers the mandatory legal requirements of equipment that must be carried, electrical systems installation, ventilation systems for gasoline powered boats, fuel systems and a number of other things.

You can sift through thousands of pages of Title 46 (most of which has nothing to do with boats) on-line for the pages relevant to boats or you can buy a paperback book from ABYC with all the relevant excerpts.

Title 46 is not nearly as comprehensive as the ABYC standards and many marine insurance companies do require ABYC compliance for some electrical issues, LPG systems, fuel systems and anything else that may blow you up or set you on fire. It is entirely within their perogative to demand compliance with any standard they see fit.
Thankyou Gentlemen, I will be doing a LOT of reading and investigation before I make any moves....

Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Cast Off
Vessel Model: 1984 hunter 34
Lucky you on both counts.We have used Dixieland as well.very impressed and highly detailed reports.
Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Take a look at Dicks website he has some very informative articles.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
No..the USCG can only go after "safety gear requirements and a few others like MSD stuff" as you are an uninspected vessel (unless you are carrying passengers for hire)...most USCG boarding teams wouldn't know an ABYC "suggestion" from the Wall Street Journal.
Exactly!!

Too many boaters get soooo unnecessarily paranoid! There are many false notions regarding what can/can't be done by boat owners and by boarding officials such as the CG. IMHO... just keep your boat in good condition, have necessary safety equipment aboard, carry registration/insurance papers, and practice good/safe boatmanship.

Then - - > Go Enjoy! After all this is “Pleasure Boating”!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
That's great news sounds like you got yourself a well built boat . Our boat is also a conversion from a small longliner. Yea it still has some of the fish funk hanging around but getting better everyday . We just ran 40 miles yesterday at 6.9 knots .It was perfect for us . There are enough fast boats around here with all the bass tournaments . Sometimes it looks like NASCAR on the water.
Pack Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #30
FF
Guru

The only other thing I was advised was to look into changing the gear box (and then prop) for a different ratio as she is still set for shrimping speed but I am really not in a hurry so 7 knots is fine for me...all in all, a good result.

As a guess the existing gear is 6-1 or 4.5-1 so the engine can get up on the HP curve and tow a couple of tons of nets.

The actual power required to power the boat , sans nets will be very much lower.

However the cost of a different gearbox and prop work would probably never be recovered with fuel savings.

IF the tranny blew , it might be time to contemplate a different gear ratio.

The electric will be fine , just remember when dockside playing with the DC stuff must be done with care behind the combined switch box..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The only other thing I was advised was to look into changing the gear box (and then prop) for a different ratio as she is still set for shrimping speed but I am really not in a hurry so 7 knots is fine for me...all in all, a good result.

As a guess the existing gear is 6-1 or 4.5-1 so the engine can get up on the HP curve and tow a couple of tons of nets.

The actual power required to power the boat , sans nets will be very much lower.

However the cost of a different gearbox and prop work would probably never be recovered with fuel savings.

IF the tranny blew , it might be time to contemplate a different gear ratio.

The electric will be fine , just remember when dockside playing with the DC stuff must be done with care behind the combined switch box..
My thinking exactly, if the trans gives up (goes west, south or anywhere it shouldnt LOL) then I might change it up, for now its fine....although when I used the prop calculator on the website the other Gent suggested it did give me a totally different number than whats currently on her. But, if it aint broke I won't be 'fixing' it...

Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Exactly!!

Too many boaters get soooo unnecessarily paranoid! There are many false notions regarding what can/can't be done by boat owners and by boarding officials such as the CG. IMHO... just keep your boat in good condition, have necessary safety equipment aboard, carry registration/insurance papers, and practice good/safe boatmanship.

Then - - > Go Enjoy! After all this is “Pleasure Boating”!!
Excellent advice, thankyou !

Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
FF
Guru

IF the engine gives up you might contemplate a far smaller engine , bolted to that really deep reduction gear.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
IF the engine gives up you might contemplate a far smaller engine , bolted to that really deep reduction gear.
I was actually thinking that, the prop calculator page stated that a startlingly small amount of HP was needed to push it to hull speed....surprising to say the least...