Newbie and Trawler Financing Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Peach

Thank you for letting me join!!! Hope I don't get TOS for this, so here goes. I have a client who is looking for financing to construct a large group of new trawlers, so I thought this might be a friendly place to see if someone can recommend a financial institution to do this type of loan? Thanks!!!

How much is he looking for? How many trawlers and what is is his projected margins?

Reply to Shark Tank comment

Interesting response, but my client wouldn't be interested in being on tv.

Menzies,
I would prefer not to put the specifics of the deal on this forum. Do you yourself do this type of financing?

Welcome to TF.

Sorry, can't answer your question. With as many boat manufacturers who have gone under in this country, I would be surprised if anyone in the USA would do this type of loan. Again, I have no direct knowledge of this type of thing but if I had a vision for a large number of trawler sized boats, I would search for a contract builder in China and would think they might have some financing contacts.

Have you considered contacting some of the USA boat builders directly to see if they can mention applicable finance companies? They may have suggestions and some of them might even be interested in building the boats. Maybe somebody like Mirage or Pursuit. There seem to be a lot of hungry boat builders out there.

Or possibly talk to a few boat manufacturers into funding a new partnership company that would build these trawlers. No sense in starting from scratch, since you could utilize all of that knowledge and collaborate on something new.

Thank you for letting me join!!! Hope I don't get TOS for this, so here goes. I have a client who is looking for financing to construct a large group of new trawlers, so I thought this might be a friendly place to see if someone can recommend a financial institution to do this type of loan? Thanks!!!

If your client is coming to you for possible financing then he needs to stay out of the boat business. If you are going into this business on borrowed money, you're likely to find yourself in trouble. Second, someone who can really afford to build trawlers already has plenty of their own sources for funding.

The number one reason for failure of boat builders is under-capitalization. The business is much too volatile to have debt. You must be in position to weather the slumps. And the business is a huge gamble. I honestly believe an investor in this business should be in position to be fine if they lose every dime of his investment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom