Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #1

City: Hilton Head Island
Vessel Name: Wrightfull
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40 Labelle
Comprehensive Insurance

In my previous life (go fast boats) I had insurance that included the coverage for the Bahamas. I am now in the process of attempting to find a nice trawler with the long term intention of extensive cruising in the Bahamas and eventually heading further south to the Leeward and Windward Islands. So the question of course becomes who will write insurance for these areas. Any ideas, Thanks in advance- George
jespchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I use Aviva as my normal policy for my normal cruising area and is quite inexpensive. They offer a "snowbird endorsement" if I am going out of my cruising area like wintering in Florida or the Bahamas. This way you are only buying based on your actual needs. This is still an agreed value Yacht policy.
My previous policy was with State Farm and covered the Bahamas in the policy but was twice the price for something I don't use every year nor did it cover anything north of Cay Sal which meant you were transiting an out of coverage area going to the Abacos for a short distance.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
We are covered for those areas throughout the Marine Trawlers Owners Association at a very good rate and an agreed value of $350k. The boat lives in Florida.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespchee View Post
In my previous life (go fast boats) I had insurance that included the coverage for the Bahamas. I am now in the process of attempting to find a nice trawler with the long term intention of extensive cruising in the Bahamas and eventually heading further south to the Leeward and Windward Islands. So the question of course becomes who will write insurance for these areas. Any ideas, Thanks in advance- George
All true marine insurers will cover those areas. Keep in mind that there are far more boats in Florida year round, cruising to the Bahamas regularly, than in your home areas so obviously not difficult to find insurance. Just have to find a good marine insurance broker to help locate the best policy for you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote