Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
There is a nordhavn 46 for sale that was dropped then extensive repairs were done.. it is about 50% of normal sales price.
Nordhavn 46 @ $175,000;

1989 Nordhavn Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Why is he selling it soon after the repairs?

I would feel better if the damage was done 8-10 years ago and he used the boat all that time and is now selling to move up/down.

The timing might indicate that he is less then happy with the situation.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
but it could just be now that his distant voyaging trip(s) is done...he is done or wants more roomy coastal cruiser....

isn't the average ownership of larger vessel something ridiculously small anyhow? like 5 or so years..?

Look at the OP...he only wants it for 18 months.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
but it could just be now that his distant voyaging trip(s) is done...he is done or wants more roomy coastal cruiser....

isn't the average ownership of larger vessel something ridiculously small anyhow? like 5 or so years..?

Nailed it!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

It could also be he didn't want to stop boating while waiting for the repair. Only by inquiring more could one find out. I've known others who went on and bought another boat rather than wait for repairs, deciding when the repairs were done they'd put it up for sale.

Then there are those who just want no part of a boat again in which they were in an accident. Can you not just hear one or the other owners yelling "I will never get back on that darn (euphemism) thing."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Long Time Dead
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 55
Wanted to follow up with a final reply to our post from 2 years ago. We did end up purchasing a Nordhavn 55 in 2016 in SoCal- but we chose not to buy the boat with damage. We had the damaged boat under contract and even had it surveyed but I was too fearful that we would have trouble selling it when we finished our 18 month voyage. Instead we bought a beautiful Nordhavn 55 (hull number 40) called Skallawag from a very nice gentleman in San Diego that was a cream puff, professionally maintained (even had a full time professional captain!) zero damage perfect specimen, and I am glad we did. It was more expensive- but maybe LESS expensive net net net- but we had very few problems with our boat during the 2,500+ hours we ran her.

We bought the boat around May 20, 2016, received a crash course on boat systems, then left SoCal on June 1, 2016 and headed north to Alaska, south through BC, the San Juan Islands, Anacortes, south where we spent 2 months in Mexico, a month in Costa Rica, Panama, through the canal, San Blas Islands, Cartagena, over to Punta Cana in the DR, across to Puerto Rico, on to Turks & Caicos, the Bahamas, brief stop in south Florida, straight shot to Rhode Island, up to Maine, then slowly south along the east coast with considerable time spent in Chesapeake Bay. The boat is now for sale and our journey has, sadly, ended. It was the trip of a lifetime for me, my wife, our 11 year old son and our 23 year old niece. We were all new to boating, which made the experience that much more interesting (and exciting).

We received lots of valuable information from the TF gurus- thanks to those that were so helpful.

Cheers
bigpoppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
You don't mess around as a new boater. Wow, what a trip. Was she docked at Kona Kai when you bought her in 2016?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppop View Post
Wanted to follow up with a final reply to our post from 2 years ago. We did end up purchasing a Nordhavn 55 in 2016 in SoCal- but we chose not to buy the boat with damage. We had the damaged boat under contract and even had it surveyed but I was too fearful that we would have trouble selling it when we finished our 18 month voyage. Instead we bought a beautiful Nordhavn 55 (hull number 40) called Skallawag from a very nice gentleman in San Diego that was a cream puff, professionally maintained (even had a full time professional captain!) zero damage perfect specimen, and I am glad we did. It was more expensive- but maybe LESS expensive net net net- but we had very few problems with our boat during the 2,500+ hours we ran her.

We bought the boat around May 20, 2016, received a crash course on boat systems, then left SoCal on June 1, 2016 and headed north to Alaska, south through BC, the San Juan Islands, Anacortes, south where we spent 2 months in Mexico, a month in Costa Rica, Panama, through the canal, San Blas Islands, Cartagena, over to Punta Cana in the DR, across to Puerto Rico, on to Turks & Caicos, the Bahamas, brief stop in south Florida, straight shot to Rhode Island, up to Maine, then slowly south along the east coast with considerable time spent in Chesapeake Bay. The boat is now for sale and our journey has, sadly, ended. It was the trip of a lifetime for me, my wife, our 11 year old son and our 23 year old niece. We were all new to boating, which made the experience that much more interesting (and exciting).

We received lots of valuable information from the TF gurus- thanks to those that were so helpful.

Cheers
The Big U plus some. Great trip.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Long Time Dead
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
You don't mess around as a new boater. Wow, what a trip. Was she docked at Kona Kai when you bought her in 2016?

I recall that she was docked at Harbor Island West marina in San Diego?

bigpoppop is offline   Reply With Quote