' lowball offer ' - is there such a thing... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that the "Market Rate" is a very real thing, in the spring, buyers are looking to get on the water, in the fall the sellers are looking to sell as they don't want to have to pay for the morrage over the winter.

I see what you are asking I think. If a seller gets insulted or offended by an offer that is their problem. They can ignore it or they can counter it, but they have no reason to be offended by a low-ball offer.
This. Times eleventy-billion!

Anyone who gets "insulted" by an offer is not a serious seller. They are just pretending. Because a serious seller is looking for a deal, and knows that there are offers to consider, and offers to ignore. An offer that is too low is not an insult, it is just an offer to ignore.

Of course, the world is full of people who seem to be desperately searching for any possible reason to be offended and feel insulted. I don't waste my time on people like that.

likewise a buyer who gets offended by having his offer ignored.
A seller needs to remember who has the money that they so desperately need and bleed while waiting for a buyer.

In most cases a buyer doesn't need a boat.
Its a want.

I guess many need to realize the word offended doesn't necessarily brought to tears or violence.

In the way I have been using it, it just means the offer is so low the person making the offer is being a jacka** .

I am the first to admit that most boats are gonna sell for 2/3 or 1/2 of what some dreamer sellers are gonna get.

But a decent boat in the models in demand isn't gonna go for less than 50% unless something is really screwy.

I've been on the water or near it all my life. Of the sales I've seen others make, low ball offers that get excepted often find in the paperwork stage that the buyer really doesn't have money or financing and is just some dreamer that thinks he can get financing with nothing down. If you've never done it, selling a boat yourself is a PIA. In my opinion, brokers earn their money weeding out the pennyless dreamers and showing boats to people with no intention of buying.

I guess many need to realize the word offended doesn't necessarily brought to tears or violence.

In the way I have been using it, it just means the offer is so low the person making the offer is being a jacka** .

I am the first to admit that most boats are gonna sell for 2/3 or 1/2 of what some dreamer sellers are gonna get.

But a decent boat in the models in demand isn't gonna go for less than 50% unless something is really screwy.

Yes...maybe 'insulting' is the wrong word here..? Let's call it 'wildly unrealistic gambit offer', and to fittingly be met with a wry smile and raised eyebrows.

Actually I have not even yet received an actual offer myself, or the broker on my behalf. Yet he feels my price is conservative, as all other similar vessels are asking about the same or more, in one case on the same marina, nearly double. That's why I feel letting her go for any less than current asking, down 30% on initial price now, would effectively be giving it away. If I have to do that, I'll just keep it and get a bit more pleasure out of it for longer, then maybe do just that - virtually give it away - by that time, 'as is, where is', sort of deal, for token price. We paid cash for it, sunk a fair bit into it, but already have had 14 years pleasure out of her, so she really owes me nothing in one sense. Sounds a bit like Marin, that. ;)

I don't consider 20% off of asking to be an unreasonable starting point. But then I bought when it was a weak economy / strong buyers market. Have a friend who just went under contract for a sailboat that had been on the market for 2 years. It was over priced. He offered 60% of asking and settled for 70%. He presented his offer with comps for recently sold identical base boats. So you never know.

Ted

An update: The deal fell through. A few soft spots in the deck and moisture in the core of one side of the hull. It's plywood cored. Don't know if the seller knew or not. A deal on a throw away isn't a deal at any price. Just goes to show you the importance of a good survey. Surveyor had a thermal imaging camera that show areas were there is moisture in the hull, pretty cool!

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom