Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Question Listing price increase?

I was considering a boat I had found (1993 Camano, Hull #28) and dug around on the internet to see what I could find about that model and year of boat. What I found has me a bit puzzled. It had been for sale by another location of the same brokerage in mid-2014 for $6K less than the current listed price. Nothing in the current listing indicated any substantial upgrades or improvements to justify the price increase. The sales guy I spoke to indicated the price was fairly firm.

I would have expected the initial listing price to be near what a survey at that time would indicate. There has been the extra time and wear of the intervening year and a half. I would expect the survey value to go down along with the listed price, but the listed price went up.

My question to the group is: What reasons might there be for a substantial price increase a year and a half after not having sold and without documented upgrades or modifications?

It has me puzzled. What do you think of this?

Thanks.

Tim

TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Offer what you think it's worth. Price is just "asking."

Old 01-07-2016, 01:53 AM   #3
Guru

The only thing you can draw with any certainty from an advertisement is that the boat is probably for sale.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Going by the 'firm' mentioned by the sales guy, if true, I'm not interested in making the multi-hour drive to look at it. If that was just sales speak and not really true and the prior listed price is closer to an acceptable reality to all parties including the surveyor, then I would be interested. Without some receipts on upgrades, I certainly would not offer more than the original ask and would probably offer less. But, I have not yet heard back on this. Other than upgrades, might there be some reason to offer more than the original ask, something that would justify the increase in asking price? I can think of several disparaging reasons, but would rather find some non-disparaging ones.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Oh, 6k less? Probably just a rounding error.

Its a boat, and 6 boat bucks is not a lot in the overall scheme of things if toy need to repair, replace or upgrade a few items.

How much is 6k in percentage terms of the asking price? I suspect that they seller has a figure in mind, net of sales commission that he wont go under. The 6k higher ask is very likely the dealer just giving himself some wiggle room so a haggler thinks he managed to screw him down.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Could be something as simple as demand has increased raising the market value. Boat values have been depressed since 2008. There are also those brokers or sellers who feel there will be someone who comes along willing to pay more than it's worth. Go look at the boat and if you like it, make an offer. If they accept it, it was probably too high. The 3 boats I've purchased used, averaged about 25% off the listing price. It's a game. If you don't want to play it, pay the listing price.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Marketing. Raise the price and people sniffing around get aggravated. But even being aggravated, they certainly are interested. Looks like the strategy worked on the OP!!

They could double the asking price and it would have zero effect on what a good buyer would offer. Offer what the boat is worth to you, nothing more.

A few hour drive to go look is cheap.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
How does it compare pricewise to other Camanos, similar age and equipped, on the market? I owned a 2002 model from 2004-2008 they are fine boats.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
Other than upgrades, might there be some reason to offer more than the original ask, something that would justify the increase in asking price? I can think of several disparaging reasons, but would rather find some non-disparaging ones.
Some desirable boats slot into the right market and do appreciate. I bought a Bristol 35.5 for $65k and sold it 4 years later for $85k. Admittedly, I did some improvements, but it was a desirable boat in a market that was showing a greater demand for that particular model which had long since ceased production..A nice percentage of the appreciation was due to that...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

City: Owings, Md
I suspect a simple explanation, his wife said "sell the boat!" and he doesn't want to.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The 6K increase was not insignificant. The price was increased from 89K to 95K. My interest was not caused by noticing the difference. But, my noticing the difference was caused by my initial interest. After first becoming (somewhat casually) interested, I did research on the boat and a Google search revealed the expired listings from mid-2014. My interest then increased along with my puzzlement.

I was thinking on this further last night. Exchange rate changes may have had something to do with it. This is a Canadian boat. Back in mid-2014, there was about a 1.03:1 exchange rate. Now, it is closer to 1.38:1. The USD buys more CDN boat now, which moved it towards my realm of possibility.

Could moving the boat from Nanaimo to Vancouver account for the increase in ask? Would survey valuation match that move in market or is that considered roughly the same market? Would the CDN survey valuation change with the CDN:USD exchange rate?

I obviously do not want to pay more than the boat is worth. Part of my worry is the survey valuation may not have increased along with the move of the boat. If it did not, the bank would want me to make up the difference. I'm not sure I'm willing to. Before I invest in a survey, it would also be helpful to know how a US bank would respond to CDN survey valuations given that is not where the boat would reside. How might that be affected by the exchange rate? It's value in the US market is likely higher. This boat is the Camano Troll. A two year newer Camano Gnome (without flybridge) is at West Yachts in Anacortes for $89K USD. After the exchange rate conversion, this boat at 95K CDN is closer to 68K USD. Adding to that difference, I think I read somewhere the flybridge was a 16K difference when purchased.

I would like to make sure that if I do pay for a survey, the bank will like the valuation. I would prefer no surprises. Could a CDN surveyor evaluate a boat for the US destination market instead of the CDN origination? Or, could a surveyor from Bellingham cross the border to evaluate it for the US market?

This will be my first cruising boat purchase; prior boats had been smaller fishing boats. I'm trying to figure how in advance how this process is supposed to work in an attempt to avoid surprises I might not be able to or want to afford. Any assistance to improving my understanding would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. TB. A survey done by the current owner for insurance purposes may not realistically reflect the boats "value". I've had surveyors ask what I want the boat to be "worth", within reason, for insurance purposes. As has been mentioned, any boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As to the currency exchange, it should be a direct conversion and selling location has a lot to do with what the vessel will ultimately fetch.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Tim, you said it was for sale at a different location. Maybe they moved the boat to a location where they think it will sell for a higher price and or quicker. Maybe previously the owner was in a tight spot and wanted to sell it fast but it didn't and now he has more time to wait for the right buyer. Regardless of the reasons if the boat is priced fairly now it is worth a look. As far as the broker's comments I would take that with a grain of salt.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I'm shopping for a bargain basement sailboat lately just for weekend fun. We don't much care where we keep it, either coast, so my shopping area is unusually wide. Old boats, 1970's, for $10k or less. Even at that Dollar Store level I'm amazed at the price variations on the same model, same year, roughly the same condition (for whatever the sales listings are worth). It's just reinforcing to me that boat pricing is generally nonsense. Million dollar asking prices on a boat that should go to a landfill, and then almost give-away prices on the same good looking boat model elsewhere. It's chaos. Huge variations all driven by individual circumstances, there's no logic to it.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
I've had surveyors ask what I want the boat to be "worth", within reason, for insurance purposes. As has been mentioned, any boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As to the currency exchange, it should be a direct conversion and selling location has a lot to do with what the vessel will ultimately fetch.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Bremerton WA
Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: 41 Roughwater
I noticed the same thing with this 71 Ta Chiao Pilot House. I looked at it when it was for sale by owner a 49,000 and past on it. Guy had it on the market for over a year then he go's with a broker, now its on yacht would for 59,950. That's brokers for you
Russ Borman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I'd ask the broker why the price went up. Can't hurt to let him know you are aware of the earlier listing.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
Guru

City: Sidney
The move from Nanaimo to Vancouver would be to expose the boat to a larger market AND make it easier for you US folks to access. Nanaimo would have likely cost someone like you an extra day and at least a couple hundred more bucks.

The price change reflects the exchange rate change.

Nervous?
Planning to do more BC shopping?
Get yourself a good buyer's broker in Bellingham and all your bank, survey, transfer and tax questions can be addressed.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #19

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
So this price is in CDN$? The market price close to the border is largely based on US$. It wouldn't surprise me to see CDN$ prices firm up as the exchange rate changes, as it has over the last 18 months. We are not in isolated markets and it's relatively easy to bring boats across the border.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #20

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Boats on YachtWorld listed in a different currency than the US dollar will have automatic price changes with currency conversion.
On a regular basis I have buyers make a written offer for a boat without seeing the boat. The offer will be subject to "PERSONAL INSPECTION" plus survey, sea trial, financing etc. If it is subject to financing, if your lender does not agree with the value the deal is off. You can pay a surveyor to do a quick walk through before you pay for a full survey and ask him for an OPINION of value.
Survey value is based on the boat location, boats in Greece now are cheap, Great Lakes boats are more than Florida. It is extremely rare that a lender would not agree with the surveyor, almost un-heard of actually.