Importing to NZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I am after a glass trawler style displacement boat. They are relatively rare in NZ, the cheapest good ones are Sterling 34's at around (US$ as all subsequent figures) $90K and they and other Grand Banks style go up from there quickly to $150K and beyond. I can't afford more than $60K all up landed in NZ. Shipping is $30K, duty is 6% of landed cost, GST (tax) is 15% of FOB value. There are plenty of now elderly examples of these boats in the US for sale with quite a lot around the $20K mark. I realise at that price they are fairly rough but I have the skills to gradually improve any structural work and cosmetics over time, as long as the survey confirms the particular one is basically sound. My $20K example using the costs above is about $60K landed here so seems workable. What do people think? If anyone from NZ or Oz has done this exercise before did they buy sight unseen and rely on a good surveyor?
I also posted on the Cruisers forum and someone there suggested I think of buying a more expensive LRC and bringing it back on its own bottom, a bit of a leap of faith in a new boat?

It’s highly unlikely you’ll find an LRC in the condition you want and with the fuel capacity you’ll need to make a significant crossing at that price point.

I argue that decent, restorable boats cost $70K alone. At your target price, paying more than the value of the vessel to transport it would be hard to justify.

Sorry to be such a naysayer.

Last edited:
Most $20K trawlers in this part of the country are better suited for landfill.

Add me to the naysayer list.

Back
Top Bottom