If I need to ask, does that mean I cant afford it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 8.2 GM engine at 220hp is not horrible, especially if run in trawler service. Weak spots like head gaskets and exh manifolds don't really show up at light load. Still not my fav engine at all, but they can give good service if treated nicely. Get them surveyed carefully by someone that knows the weak spots. And vessel should sell for a discount compared to one with the desirable engines.

And the V-drives may limit options for repower. And the 8.2 is much smaller than the 3208, which is 10.6 liter.

Fuel use is mostly a function of Speed.

Go at the SQ RT of the LWL, ( in K) and most every boat is cheap. 36ft LWL = 6K

Travel at 18K and 1nm/gal would be considered cheap.

Fred - Don't you mean 8 knts for 36' lwl?

Don't you mean 8 knts for 36' lwl?

Not for most boats. The Sq Rt of the working LWL on a 36 ft boat is 6K.

The rule of thumb is to multiply the sqrt by .9 to 1.15 , depending on if its a fat heavy boat or light and skinny.

Most folks get to "8" by switching to statute miles ,as that's what is used on most ditch charts,

Good records or a Flow Scan can help finding a great quiet, smooth, cheap burn for LRC.

Many inland folks prefer to travel by "X" hours a day , so with a bit of planning speed is a minor factor .

Hull speed sqrt x 1.34 is mostly of interest to sailors , with free energy the extra energy is no problem.

Having the sails and rig stsy aboard with 20k IS A DIFFERENT MATTER.

Most marine motorists will not pay the higher fuel bill, usually ( +50% to +100%) for perhaps a Knot of extra speed.

Last edited:
FF - Visit this link. Says it's for knots and calcs my boat's hull speed correctly. Calcs 36 lwl at 8 knots max hill speed.

Displacement Hull Speed Calculator

I think he was talking about an efficient speed....as he referred to .9-1.15 and not 1.34(saying that number is mostly of interest to sailboaters). But maybe I misunderstood. So while your hull speed might be 8 knots(1.34), you can gain significant efficency by slowing down a bit(1....ish).

I think he was talking about an efficient speed....as he referred to .9-1.15 and not 1.34(saying that number is mostly of interest to sailboaters). But maybe I misunderstood. So while your hull speed might be 8 knots(1.34), you can gain significant efficency by slowing down a bit(1....ish).

I don't travel at my boat's calced 7.58 knot hull speed... Either go well below; like 6 to 6.5 knots - or - way above; like 16 to 17 knots. Not sure what Fred was implying.

"Calcs 36 lwl at 8 knots max hill speed."

Hull speed is where the boats stern is sinking and it can no longer climb up on its self generated bow wave. 8K is probably right.

Sure you CAN go this speed , it is just a huge strain on the engine and a big flow of fuel for that last K.

Folks seldom will stand for the noise , fuel bill, or massive wakes created at "hull speed".

So most cruisers travel slower ,or if blessed with huge engines and huge fuel tanks , climb up on top and really scoot.

HULL SPEED is not a brick wall, it is a concept,

mostly of interest to rag baggers with free fuel in a big enough blow.

Hull speed is where the boats stern is sinking and it can no longer climb up on its self generated bow wave. 8K is probably right.

Sure you CAN go this speed , it is just a huge strain on the engine and a big flow of fuel for that last K.

Folks seldom will stand for the noise , fuel bill, or massive wakes created at "hull speed".

So most cruisers travel slower ,or if blessed with huge engines and huge fuel tanks , climb up on top and really scoot.

True, true, and true!!

"I don't travel at my boat's calced 7.58 knot hull speed... Either go well below; like 6 to 6.5 knots - or - way above; like 16 to 17 knots. Not sure what Fred was implying."

Yes - + 1

Broker sent me this link today

Mikelson Fexas 42 Flybridge Cruiser - Ensign Ship Brokers

Question is what fuel figures$ would I expect is it overpowered ?
1000 hours on each motor just seem too good to be true :confused: maybe the owner cant afford to use it :D

Getting back to fuel economy, i heard that the cost of diesel is the cheapest thing about owning a boat. I always thought it was hoggwash. Turns out they were correct. Well, funny thing when sail boat owners ask about my fuel economy, they ask how big is my tank? then wow thats alot to fill up. Well, gee, they pay the same for slip fees as our 43' and insurance is the same, as well as other cost of canvas and upkeep. I get 3.5-4.0 gph @ 7.0 kts which works out to about 2 miles/gal. I say slip fees are the major cost in owning a boat. Every month paying $600-700 is painful. I went from NC to South Florida on $1000. If you break out the calculator and use an open mind you will find even buying a sail boat doesnt make much sense just to save money on fuel. So if I spend $1000 (4gph), the blow boater might spend $250(1gph). Savings $750. Wow thats not a huge savings. I used a sail boat to show the far expreme. I think the trawlers fall between 2-3 gph. You'll blow that the first month of slip fees. Most people only travel up and down the east coast so its easy to figure what the cost will be every day. If you anchor out a few times along the way south you will break even on fuel cost as well. So tell me again why I want to want to sacrifice comfort and a huge sundeck to save some fuel. If I pushed my throttles down and the bow up I would burn lots of fuel, but I dont. I travel slowly because we like to take in the scenery and enjoy the lite breeze. If you want to travel to Panama or somewhere like that, well, maybe fuel might be an issue. Most of us only put a few hundred hour per year so its no big deal. I wouldnt choose to buy a boat based on fuel consumption unless I was set on doing some very long range traveling. I know a guy who owns a 54' Defever with twin 3208's that burn 6 gph @ 9 kts. Wow thats great economy when you think of how much boat your getting. Again, the price of fuel isnt a deal breaker, but slip fees will hurt you. Just my feelings.

Getting back to fuel economy, i heard that the cost of diesel is the cheapest thing about owning a boat. I always thought it was hoggwash. Turns out they were correct. Well, funny thing when sail boat owners ask about my fuel economy, they ask how big is my tank? then wow thats alot to fill up. Well, gee, they pay the same for slip fees as our 43' and insurance is the same, as well as other cost of canvas and upkeep. I get 3.5-4.0 gph @ 7.0 kts which works out to about 2 miles/gal. I say slip fees are the major cost in owning a boat. Every month paying $600-700 is painful. I went from NC to South Florida on $1000. If you break out the calculator and use an open mind you will find even buying a sail boat doesnt make much sense just to save money on fuel. So if I spend $1000 (4gph), the blow boater might spend $250(1gph). Savings $750. Wow thats not a huge savings. I used a sail boat to show the far expreme. I think the trawlers fall between 2-3 gph. You'll blow that the first month of slip fees. Most people only travel up and down the east coast so its easy to figure what the cost will be every day. If you anchor out a few times along the way south you will break even on fuel cost as well. So tell me again why I want to want to sacrifice comfort and a huge sundeck to save some fuel. If I pushed my throttles down and the bow up I would burn lots of fuel, but I dont. I travel slowly because we like to take in the scenery and enjoy the lite breeze. If you want to travel to Panama or somewhere like that, well, maybe fuel might be an issue. Most of us only put a few hundred hour per year so its no big deal. I wouldnt choose to buy a boat based on fuel consumption unless I was set on doing some very long range traveling. I know a guy who owns a 54' Defever with twin 3208's that burn 6 gph @ 9 kts. Wow thats great economy when you think of how much boat your getting. Again, the price of fuel isnt a deal breaker, but slip fees will hurt you. Just my feelings.

Agreed!!!

Actually hull speed isn't really used today by naval architects as they have more advanced formulas.

As to "folks seldom will stand for the noise, fuel bill, or massive wakes created at hull speed" and "huge strain on the engines" those are very much generalizations that may or may not apply to those with boats and engines similar to yours, but there are large segments of boaters running all speeds. The small engine, run below hull speed group, while having a few members here, is overall probably about the same size as the 60 mph and above boating segment. We can run hull speed at 1000 rpm and 54 decibels.

My other comment is that hull speed calculations themselves are just general estimates and hull designs can change the "true hull speed" significantly.

I do think most people just find the speeds that are comfortable to them in all ways-ride, sound, fuel usage, wake.

With every boat and every type boating the relationship between different costs changes. In addressing the OP and his question regarding a specific boat and engines, fuel costs were, in my opinion, far less to be worried about than major engine work. In one of the threads involving a classic wooden boat, maintenance of the boat itself became the big cost. One person even mentioned an owner who had someone full time just taking care of the deck and rails. Slip costs vary greatly by location. In areas of the Alaska slips are 5% of what they are in resort areas. Similarly maintenance has huge swings between DIY and pay for all. People must look at the specific boat, where and how they'll use it, and how they will maintain it.

There is ONE thing I do not ever do! That is to "Worry" about fuel usage while aboard boat. If I had to worry about that... then I should not own (or maybe just not use) the boat! :facepalm:

I know what each boat I ever owned is itself comfortable with regarding speed(s); and, I know which speed (rpm) uses less or more fuel... but... "Fuel Use Worry" never enters into my boating equations! :D

PS: I also do not worry about fuel use in my 4,400 lb 67 Wildcat's 430 cid, 360 hp, 10.5 to 1 cr monster motor... while cruising her at 80 + + mph down a big open stretch of non trafficked hwy! That called FUN! :thumb:

There is ONE thing I do not ever do! That is to "Worry" about fuel usage while aboard boat. If I had to worry about that... then I should not own (or maybe just not use) the boat! :facepalm:

That is part of the purchase decision and shouldn't be an issue later. Buy a boat whose fuel consumption you're comfortable with. Buy one whose overall maintenance and costs and docking you're comfortable with. If you buy the right boat for you, then fuel won't be a worry. One shouldn't worry about the known. It's the unknown, the surprises that require more planning so not to worry about them.

That is part of the purchase decision and shouldn't be an issue later. Buy a boat whose fuel consumption you're comfortable with. Buy one whose overall maintenance and costs and docking you're comfortable with. If you buy the right boat for you, then fuel won't be a worry. One shouldn't worry about the known. It's the unknown, the surprises that require more planning so not to worry about them.

Of course... I basically have that awfully delightful disease called Lack-O'-Worry! Works very well throughout life and helps big grin/smile to stay painted on face!! :D :whistling: :thumb:

Of course... I basically have that awfully delightful disease called Lack-O'-Worry! Works very well throughout life and helps big grin/smile to stay painted on face!! :D :whistling: :thumb:

I call it "blissful ignorance"...and I am one blissful MFer!!!!

I call it "blissful ignorance"...and I am one blissful MFer!!!!

With self pronounced tag like MFer... Why Worry... Be Happy!

Gal picts... Come on Baker... Where've the picts gone!?!

Back
Top Bottom