Old 10-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
And why do so many people call a Cummins engine a Cummings? Not a criticism, just a curious fact.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #22
Guru

For marina billing, be glad nominal boat length < measured length. Unless of course your marina is one which gets out the tape measure to squeeze out the last $.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
For marina billing, be glad nominal boat length < measured length. Unless of course your marina is one which gets out the tape measure to squeeze out the last $.
Most marinas in our area pick true LOA including everything, not nominal. They generally charge the greater of the actual length or slip length. My observations on transient are that they generally take the number they're given unless it appears off to them. On slips it's not normally an issue as the slip must be as long or longer than the boat and they charge by slip length.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
That's exactly what I get.
Hey....me too!!!!!:whistling :
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Even if I traveled 1500 miles a year in my boat, fuel would be considerably less than ten percent of ownership costs (excluding depreciation). My actual mileage is about half that. ... I travel at less than "hull speed."
Old 10-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Most marinas in our area pick true LOA including everything, not nominal. They generally charge the greater of the actual length or slip length. My observations on transient are that they generally take the number they're given unless it appears off to them. On slips it's not normally an issue as the slip must be as long or longer than the boat and they charge by slip length.
Ditto. ... But when considering a double-sided berth, my fat Coot is mostly concerned with the width of the berth rather than its length. Most berths seem to serve sailboats which have narrower beams. "My" marina charges by the berth length, while end ties are something different.

I treasure my oversized berth (extra long and extra wide).
Old 10-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Ditto. ... But when considering a double-sided berth, my fat Coot is mostly concerned with the width of the berth rather than its length. Most berths seem to serve sailboats which have narrower beams. "My" marina charges by the berth length, while end ties are something different.

I treasure my oversized berth (extra long and extra wide).
Yes, in most places end ties carry quite a premium. I could see in your area too a lot of sailboat designed slips. Glad you have what you need and can hold on to it.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:54 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
And why do so many people call a Cummins engine a Cummings? Not a criticism, just a curious fact.
'cause they fink it sounds like they is unejukated, and dropping their 'G's..?
Old 10-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #29
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
autocorrect
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
autocorrect
Lot's of autocorrect, but then there may be some who have read it here so many times, they've become convinced. It's been emblazoned upon their brain.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #31
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The 8.2 GM engine at 220hp is not horrible, especially if run in trawler service. Weak spots like head gaskets and exh manifolds don't really show up at light load. Still not my fav engine at all, but they can give good service if treated nicely. Get them surveyed carefully by someone that knows the weak spots. And vessel should sell for a discount compared to one with the desirable engines.

And the V-drives may limit options for repower. And the 8.2 is much smaller than the 3208, which is 10.6 liter.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #32
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Fuel use is mostly a function of Speed.

Go at the SQ RT of the LWL, ( in K) and most every boat is cheap. 36ft LWL = 6K

Travel at 18K and 1nm/gal would be considered cheap.
Fred - Don't you mean 8 knts for 36' lwl?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #33
FF
Guru

Don't you mean 8 knts for 36' lwl?

Not for most boats. The Sq Rt of the working LWL on a 36 ft boat is 6K.

The rule of thumb is to multiply the sqrt by .9 to 1.15 , depending on if its a fat heavy boat or light and skinny.

Most folks get to "8" by switching to statute miles ,as that's what is used on most ditch charts,

Good records or a Flow Scan can help finding a great quiet, smooth, cheap burn for LRC.

Many inland folks prefer to travel by "X" hours a day , so with a bit of planning speed is a minor factor .

Hull speed sqrt x 1.34 is mostly of interest to sailors , with free energy the extra energy is no problem.

Having the sails and rig stsy aboard with 20k IS A DIFFERENT MATTER.

Most marine motorists will not pay the higher fuel bill, usually ( +50% to +100%) for perhaps a Knot of extra speed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #34
Art
Guru

FF - Visit this link. Says it's for knots and calcs my boat's hull speed correctly. Calcs 36 lwl at 8 knots max hill speed.

Displacement Hull Speed Calculator
Old 11-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
FF - Visit this link. Says it's for knots and calcs my boat's hull speed correctly. Calcs 36 lwl at 8 knots max hill speed.

Displacement Hull Speed Calculator
I think he was talking about an efficient speed....as he referred to .9-1.15 and not 1.34(saying that number is mostly of interest to sailboaters). But maybe I misunderstood. So while your hull speed might be 8 knots(1.34), you can gain significant efficency by slowing down a bit(1....ish).
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I think he was talking about an efficient speed....as he referred to .9-1.15 and not 1.34(saying that number is mostly of interest to sailboaters). But maybe I misunderstood. So while your hull speed might be 8 knots(1.34), you can gain significant efficency by slowing down a bit(1....ish).
I don't travel at my boat's calced 7.58 knot hull speed... Either go well below; like 6 to 6.5 knots - or - way above; like 16 to 17 knots. Not sure what Fred was implying.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"Calcs 36 lwl at 8 knots max hill speed."

Hull speed is where the boats stern is sinking and it can no longer climb up on its self generated bow wave. 8K is probably right.

Sure you CAN go this speed , it is just a huge strain on the engine and a big flow of fuel for that last K.

Folks seldom will stand for the noise , fuel bill, or massive wakes created at "hull speed".

So most cruisers travel slower ,or if blessed with huge engines and huge fuel tanks , climb up on top and really scoot.

HULL SPEED is not a brick wall, it is a concept,

mostly of interest to rag baggers with free fuel in a big enough blow.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #38
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Calcs 36 lwl at 8 knots max hill speed."

Hull speed is where the boats stern is sinking and it can no longer climb up on its self generated bow wave. 8K is probably right.

Sure you CAN go this speed , it is just a huge strain on the engine and a big flow of fuel for that last K.

Folks seldom will stand for the noise , fuel bill, or massive wakes created at "hull speed".

So most cruisers travel slower ,or if blessed with huge engines and huge fuel tanks , climb up on top and really scoot.

HULL SPEED is not a brick wall, it is a concept,

mostly of interest to rag baggers with free fuel in a big enough blow.
True, true, and true!!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #39
Guru

City: Northport
"I don't travel at my boat's calced 7.58 knot hull speed... Either go well below; like 6 to 6.5 knots - or - way above; like 16 to 17 knots. Not sure what Fred was implying."

Yes - + 1
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Broker sent me this link today

Mikelson Fexas 42 Flybridge Cruiser - Ensign Ship Brokers

Question is what fuel figures$ would I expect is it overpowered ?
1000 hours on each motor just seem too good to be true maybe the owner cant afford to use it
Getting back to fuel economy, i heard that the cost of diesel is the cheapest thing about owning a boat. I always thought it was hoggwash. Turns out they were correct. Well, funny thing when sail boat owners ask about my fuel economy, they ask how big is my tank? then wow thats alot to fill up. Well, gee, they pay the same for slip fees as our 43' and insurance is the same, as well as other cost of canvas and upkeep. I get 3.5-4.0 gph @ 7.0 kts which works out to about 2 miles/gal. I say slip fees are the major cost in owning a boat. Every month paying $600-700 is painful. I went from NC to South Florida on $1000. If you break out the calculator and use an open mind you will find even buying a sail boat doesnt make much sense just to save money on fuel. So if I spend $1000 (4gph), the blow boater might spend $250(1gph). Savings $750. Wow thats not a huge savings. I used a sail boat to show the far expreme. I think the trawlers fall between 2-3 gph. You'll blow that the first month of slip fees. Most people only travel up and down the east coast so its easy to figure what the cost will be every day. If you anchor out a few times along the way south you will break even on fuel cost as well. So tell me again why I want to want to sacrifice comfort and a huge sundeck to save some fuel. If I pushed my throttles down and the bow up I would burn lots of fuel, but I dont. I travel slowly because we like to take in the scenery and enjoy the lite breeze. If you want to travel to Panama or somewhere like that, well, maybe fuel might be an issue. Most of us only put a few hundred hour per year so its no big deal. I wouldnt choose to buy a boat based on fuel consumption unless I was set on doing some very long range traveling. I know a guy who owns a 54' Defever with twin 3208's that burn 6 gph @ 9 kts. Wow thats great economy when you think of how much boat your getting. Again, the price of fuel isnt a deal breaker, but slip fees will hurt you. Just my feelings.

Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote