Going to look at 2 boats. . .how do you figure what a fair offer is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both are still for sale, what ended up being purchased? I love the good ending to a story!

Both are still for sale, what ended up being purchased? I love the good ending to a story!

Nothing yet :banghead: I did finally put in an offer on a Bayliner 3870 about a month ago. Everything I could see and inspect looked good enough to pull the trigger on a survey (hull and engine). When it was pulled out the running gear was pretty mangled and had been for some time. I pulled the plug on finishing the survey, the guy left it on the hard to get repaired. I'm waiting to hear back from him, but not getting my hopes up. . .

Not the end of the story, but the suckiest chapter by far. Spending $1200 on basically nothing kind of sucks the fun out of boat shopping :nonono:

Shopping for a boat is fun. Actually buying a boat, not so much. Taking possession of a new boat is fun. So you have a fun sandwich with a sucky filling.

Nothing yet :banghead: I did finally put in an offer on a Bayliner 3870 about a month ago. Everything I could see and inspect looked good enough to pull the trigger on a survey (hull and engine). When it was pulled out the running gear was pretty mangled and had been for some time. I pulled the plug on finishing the survey, the guy left it on the hard to get repaired. I'm waiting to hear back from him, but not getting my hopes up. . .

Not the end of the story, but the suckiest chapter by far. Spending $1200 on basically nothing kind of sucks the fun out of boat shopping :nonono:

Price it out on repairs and hit him hard and LOW!!! Most people selling boats don't want to spend that kind of money and headache to replace the running gear. That is exactly how I got my boat. I basically came back at him at 50% of the previous contract. He took it. And it cost me about $11k to replace two shafts, two rudders, and a propellor as well as a bottom job and blisters and cutlass bearings and shaft seals. I thought I did pretty well!!!

Spending $1200 on basically nothing kind of sucks the fun out of boat shopping :nonono:

Or, the $1,200 you spent saved you at least $10,000 on running gear alone from the sound of it. All about perspective.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466637100.711765.jpg

Commiserations. Here, hauling cost is on the buyer whether the deal goes through or not. Used to be on the seller if the deal failed. There should be some penalty for a seller who has to have known the state of the boat where you could not. A local TFer recently got caught with badly "repaired" osmosis, and the fees. You`d never recover the survey fees but if a seller duds you like that they should at least bear the haulout cost. Might encourage sellers/brokers to be more upfront.

Shopping for a boat is fun. Actually buying a boat, not so much. Taking possession of a new boat is fun. So you have a fun sandwich with a sucky filling.

Weird as that sounds...I think we all know what he meant... :D

Nothing yet :banghead: I did finally put in an offer on a Bayliner 3870 about a month ago. Everything I could see and inspect looked good enough to pull the trigger on a survey (hull and engine). When it was pulled out the running gear was pretty mangled and had been for some time. I pulled the plug on finishing the survey, the guy left it on the hard to get repaired.

If you find yourself in that situation again, finish the survey. A really low ball valuation from the surveyor might give you a great deal on a modest project boat. I would much rather steal the boat and have it repaired the way I want it. Most owners in that situation are ready to give it away than throw more money at it.

Ted

Man that is an awesome boat!

Cool Beans- what's your price range and what are you looking for in a boat? You've looked at a lot and always found reasons not to buy (yes, valid reasons). A boat will always require work.

Here is what appears to be a beauty going begging.

1998 Bruce Roberts Custom LR Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
What an intriguing boat.
I would really like to read comments from folks qualified to talk about the build quality and materials.

$450,000 in work, over 6 years, redoing a lot of original installs less than 10 years old.

Is this now a complete boat or an ongoing (major) project boat?

All done from what I read. Looks like they did their thing then cleaned er up for sale.

Wish I had worked a few more years. Or invested better.

Well, we split the haul cost. . .and the surveyors gave me a discount for not finishing, and offered me a discount on my next survey if I used them. . .so not a complete loss.

I might give the guy a call this weekend, see what he is up to with it. I haven't seen it relisted, maybe he could be willing to listen to a "make the problem go away" offer. I was a little too disappointed at the time to think it thru, I basically just wanted to GTFO there :whistling:

Cool Beans- what's your price range and what are you looking for in a boat? You've looked at a lot and always found reasons not to buy (yes, valid reasons). A boat will always require work.

What I'm looking for has always been so vague and generic, it really doesn't help. Comfy dockside liveaboard with easily accessed outdoor space that's nice to take people out in, can be single handed in nice weather, not a foreseeable money pit, and won't break the bank with maintenance. . .and I'd like to keep it under $50k.

Lots of boats out there fit that bill, most of them need some kind of work at my price range. Just trying to find the right kind of "needs work" boat. That bayliner fit the bill until it was hauled out.

Most boats I've decided against usually were to far gone either structurally or mechanically (or both) for me to want to mess with for the price they wouldn't budge from. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to structural issues too, what I really want is sound mechanical systems. Given all the years I've spent in junkyards, under/inside trucks and cars, partial restorations, boat engines, etc. . .when I crack open an engine hatch and see a rusty hunk of neglected machinery, I cringe. Yeah, it runs fine now. But eventually those 35 year old rotten hoses will need to come off, the injectors that have never been serviced, the weeping manifold bolts, rusty water jackets, the engine mounts that have had water dripping on them for decades. . .all those rusty fasteners, all I need to do is have one shear off flush with the block :nonono:

Anyways, getting late and I'm rambling. . .my philosophy to buying a boat:

"I'm not buying a used boat, I'm buying someone else's future problems. . ."

cool beans said...

"Anyways, getting late and I'm rambling. . .my philosophy to buying a boat: I'm not buying a used boat, I'm buying someone else's future problems "

Yes, but don't forget, the whole idea is to also buy into the pleasure potential that someone else has had as well. :)

Last edited:
I've ran a brand new, $70 million vessel that had issues....

The bottom line is all vessels are projects.

. Cool Beans- what's your price range and what are you looking for in a boat? You've looked at a lot and always found reasons not to buy (yes, valid reasons). A boat will always require work.

:thumb:

Looking for a relatively problem free boat is never easy. Often the add ons or fix up costs only show up following a detailed inspection and survey. Early on vetting is the key. With a boat smart buddy do your best to inspect and rate the vessel prior to haul out. Finding the "tells" on an acceptable - or not - vessel is indeed possible.

But, finding a good boat in the 35 - 40' range may not be easily achieved for $50k. Maybe you should be looking at really nice $100k vessels and offering $50k?

Last edited:
All vessels are definitely projects!

Final update: Got a hold of the owner. He has it all fixed up, and is so excited at how well it runs now he is going to keep it for a bit :banghead:

Is it worth even offering half price on a nice boat?

Spending money hauling or surveying or doing a sea trial is never money wasted. That's like saying car insurance is money wasted if you don't have a wreck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom