Friends say I'm an idiot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fuel burn is chump change, as the real expense is maintenance. If you do your own work, no problem, but if you have to write a check for everything it will kill you, even if you depend on dock rats to do the work.

You're only looking at expenses. Think of the savings.
For example, you won't need a psychiatrist anymore.
1) You won't be able to afford him because you need to buy a new heat exchanger this week
2) You won't have the time because you'll be down the boat every day sanding the teak
3) You won't need all the anti-anxiety pills because boating is so relaxing (unless the heat exchange gives out 4 hours away from a port (buy Sea-Tow membership))

Relax a little. spend the money. can't take it with you.

Last edited:
Congratulations--Have fun.
Learn Fast
As many have said-the fuel is the cheapest part and you aren't going to get a Perkins diesel replaced for anywhere near $5k.

And assume it will cost more than you think but depends on condition of boat and how much you do yourself.

I'm buying a boat because I'm bored and when consideing a new hobby his is the only one which excited me.

I'm struggling to read between the lines. I'd ask two questions.

1-Why are you excited about boating? What is your reason for doing this?

2-What is your boating experience? What do you know about operating a boat?

I'm hoping the answers are such that you're not just doing this because you can't think of anything else to do. We are boating fanatics. It's deep inside us, an addiction. It's where we want to be and nothing else compares. (Well, my wife just reminded me one thing does). We're also experienced.

I'm hoping to hear that you're driven to boating and you've been on enough to know, rather than it was simply a default choice after coming up with nothing else.

We are boating fanatics. It's deep inside us, an addiction. It's where we want to be and nothing else compares. (Well, my wife just reminded me one thing does).

Something about that 10'x12' mattress?

-Chris

Time spent on a boat is not deducted from your life span.

Buy the boat, don't keep any records.

No, No, No. You must keep records unless you have a photographic memory. Even if you dont sell the boat some day when the records will increase the yield. You still need to know what you replaced and WHEN.

The 6.354 Perkins is bullet proof if you dont abuse it. At 1200 rpm you could get 1 gallon per hour on each engine. Thats 2 gallons per hour at about 7 knots or 3.5 nautical miles per gallon. Dont push it to use the turbos. It will just cost fuel and shorten lifetime. The higher RPMS and speed are for emergency use.

Says it all...

Attachments

• Money.jpg
    Money.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 518
No, No, No. You must keep records unless you have a photographic memory. Even if you dont sell the boat some day when the records will increase the yield. You still need to know what you replaced and WHEN.

My mistake. I keep very detailed logs. But I don't really have a feel for what the boat is costing me. I can tell you what my kids cost me, but not the boat.

My mistake. I keep very detailed logs. But I don't really have a feel for what the boat is costing me. I can tell you what my kids cost me, but not the boat.

Great advice to keep a detailed maintenance log. Just don't ever add it up.

Buying the boat does not make you an idiot. Going out in conditions beyond your capabilities or unprepared on the other hand can.

We have been tracking all maintenance, expenses and trip costs using an app. I now know roughly what my annual cost will be prior to the season (with $$ set aside for the unexpected). I also list future projects and projected costs along with prioritize non essential work.

There is nothing in this world like waking up on the water. If you're at the dock, have a cup of coffee in the cockpit and just watch as your new neighbors come out to start their day. These people will become family in very short order. Waking up on the hook is a whole different experience. If you're in a cove with other boats, you will soon see people hopping in their dinghies to swing by and say hello. If you wake up on the hook in a secluded area with no one else around, well that is better than any tranquilizer that could ever be prescribed. Boating is a way of life, and $36k for waterfront property is cheap.
John

Well said, plus when you feel like a change pull up the anchor and find a new view

We have been tracking all maintenance, expenses and trip costs using an app. I now know roughly what my annual cost will be prior to the season (with $$ set aside for the unexpected). I also list future projects and projected costs along with prioritize non essential work.

We all have differing views on this.

I find it best to track all boat maintenance done, trip logs, weather, anchorages, fish caught, boat incidents, planned work etc, but without any mention of cost.

Analyzing costs could lead one to discover that boating does not make financial sense. I never want to know that I can't afford to boat.

I find it best to track all boat maintenance done, trip logs, weather, anchorages, fish caught, boat incidents, planned work etc, but without any mention of cost.

Analyzing costs could lead one to discover that boating does not make financial sense. I never want to know that I can't afford to boat.

I feel much the same but I have a pretty good idea of my annual costs anyway.

I record all improvements and servicing completed. I do all my own work (routine maintenance and repairs) except for the specialty work I can't handle so the costs are manageable. Every quart of oil, zinc change and coolant top off is recorded...but NEVER the cost.

I never really wanna know the total cost. It's a lifestyle, not a hobby.

[emoji106]
Your view is not different... shared by many of us.
If I'm comfortable financially in general I don't worry about the details.

I should have been clearer - definitely keep up with improvements and maintenance - just don't keep up with the costs! :thumb::thumb:

I started out an idiot and just got worse. Read my posts. My only advice (gained by a grand total of 1 trawler purchase) is to get a good surveyor and accompany him as best you can and as he will let you. Afterward go over everything with him one by one. He will tell you what is good, what is bad, and what is suspect. Should be able to give you an idea of what to plan on replacing or upgrading. The other things are just surprises. What would a hobby be without surprises? Get the engines surveyed as well. A separate survey.

Gettin' your money's worth out ownin' a boat makes sense. We have our boat in San Diego and live 44 miles away, so we "week-end" every chance we get. Once a month we run a Predicted Log contest, that, and four raft-ups a year, plus our annual Catalina Island trip, adds up to enough use to make the expense of ownin' a boat reasonable. Havin' a slip in a yacht club is a big plus.

Think of all the things the could have called and then, being called an 'idiot' ain't so bad.

I can only guess they will eventually want to go for a boat ride too.

IMG_2584.jpgIMG_0601.jpg

Getting to hang out with the family doing boat/beach things makes it much less idiotic.

Same thing here except for another reason. As much as she loves the boat I just don't want my wife to happen upon that particular part of the log book. After coming to from the immediate faint she would be in tears about how we aren't going to have anything to leave the grandkids.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom