Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Financing options for an older boat

Hello all,

I looked at a boat today. I liked it. A lot. I want to marry it and have it's babies. Thing is, I don't have enough saved up to buy it outright just yet. I'm willing to finance the small portion I'm lacking, and would be able to pay it off comfortably in a few years. Seems easy enough, right? Well, there's a hitch. The boat is 34 years old.

So far I've tried SunTrust, Sterling, my own credit union, and Essex credit. They all said the boat was too old. Sterling practically hung up on me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other lenders to try, or other avenues I may not have considered?

If this doesn't work out right now, oh well. I can always just default back to the original plan, and keep saving for a couple more years. If I can make it work though, I'd sure like to.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'll be selling the dirt house.

EDIT: Boat US is 1990 and newer only.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Home equity loan line of credit?

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Nameless
Vessel Model: 22' Sisu
Following

I am going to be following this as 34 isn't old for a well taken care of boat.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I'll be selling the dirt castle.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
I am going to be following this as 34 isn't old for a well taken care of boat.
I haven't had a survey done or anything, but she certainly seems to be in excellent shape. She looks like she was built two years ago.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
In 2017, I bought an extremely well maintained 1974 boat. My broker referred me to a bank located <key point follows> in an area with a LOT of boats.

When I explained that I would but the boat, with or without her help, the deal progressed nicely.

Choose a knowledgeable bank and make it clear that it is in their interest.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
When we bought our boat it was 29 years old. Maybe there is a break point at 30 years old. We went through Cindy Lewis at Sterling. No problems with getting a loan. There are 2 Sterling loan companies. Maybe you were talking to the other Sterling. PM me for her phone number. I do know that finance companies donít want to finance a live aboard so I would buy the boat before you sell your house.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Final Choice
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Unfortunately for you and other buyers, lenders have gotten extremely strict after the 2017 hurricane season. They are no longer financing anything older than 1996 (some won't finance anything older than 2000), they aren't financing steel hulls, they are requiring larger down payments, and terms have been severely shortened.

This information is all based on personal experience over the last 9 months or so while trying to buy the boat we've been living on. (And a steel hull we put an offer on on a whim).

ETA: you might also try this broker.

Excel Credit Inc.

RV, Boat & Aircraft Financing

505 Wekiva Springs Rd #200

Longwood, FL 32779

Direct: 407-712-2803

Office: 800-337-7774 Ext. 2803

Fax: 407-862-2298 or 407-862-6586

marci@excelcredit.com

www.excelcredit.com
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #9
Guru

Excellent, thank you TC. Iíll try them in the morning.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Final Choice
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Comodave made an excellent point as well. I wouldn't mention the liveaboard thing until the boat is bought and you obtain insurance.

ETA: Have you tried owner financing on the part you're lacking? If you have 75% of the funds for a downpayment, maybe they'll work with you on terms for the rest.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #11

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Yes, but if the amount you need isn't that dramatic as you imply, you can still use the equity to purchase it and then clear it at closing. The HELOC will be part of dealing with the liens and is no problem provided you have equity to borrow against. Also, the rates and fees are likely to be equal or better to what you'll find elsewhere.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:01 AM   #12
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Could always use that, buy boat then sell house and pay out loan.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:20 AM   #13
Imp
Veteran Member

City: Sneads Ferry NC
First, your broker should know the seller's situation + the boat + comps well enough so that your offering price & the seller's bottom line are in proximity. No sense in trying to finance a piece of a boat when you could negotiate it out. That said, in conjunction with, or in lieu of owner financing, do you have items of value to trade? Back c. 1990 one of my offspring with 3 children decided she couldn't live without a particular male idiot with 2 kids, so instant blended family. They needed a big van, pronto, but little $$$. I reminded offspring she owned a (16'?) Hobie Cat, & suggested someone at the car dealership might have a hankering for that. I know nothing of the deal itself, except that she drove off the lot with a monstrous vehicle. Van is long gone, but unfortunately, nearly 30 years later my idiot SIL is still around.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #14
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
I think your go to resource should be the selling broker if you did not engage a buyers broker. If he wants to earn his commission, he will find a lender for you.

Also, Yachtworld allegedly will find you loan quotes with this link. https://www.yachtworld.com/boat-loans/index.jsp?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
Comodave made an excellent point as well. I wouldn't mention the liveaboard thing until the boat is bought and you obtain insurance.

ETA: Have you tried owner financing on the part you're lacking? If you have 75% of the funds for a downpayment, maybe they'll work with you on terms for the rest.
I'll have 75% when the house is sold, but if I need to finance first, sell later, that may not work. Still an interesting thought, and one I'll definitely keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilitas View Post
Yes, but if the amount you need isn't that dramatic as you imply, you can still use the equity to purchase it and then clear it at closing. The HELOC will be part of dealing with the liens and is no problem provided you have equity to borrow against. Also, the rates and fees are likely to be equal or better to what you'll find elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Could always use that, buy boat then sell house and pay out loan.
Sorry, I had to sleep on it to understand what you guys meant, and that's not a bad option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
First, your broker should know the seller's situation + the boat + comps well enough so that your offering price & the seller's bottom line are in proximity. No sense in trying to finance a piece of a boat when you could negotiate it out. That said, in conjunction with, or in lieu of owner financing, do you have items of value to trade?...nearly 30 years later my idiot SIL is still around.
Lol, sorry about the SIL situation. I don't have anything obvious to trade, but I'll keep that tool in my box in case I think of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I think your go to resource should be the selling broker if you did not engage a buyers broker. If he wants to earn his commission, he will find a lender for you.

Also, Yachtworld allegedly will find you loan quotes with this link. https://www.yachtworld.com/boat-loans/index.jsp?
The seller's broker and I discussed the financial lay of the land, and he said he may have some lenders that can help. Hopefully I'll hear back from him in the next day or two. Thanks for the Yachtworld link. Makes sense that they'd want to help this fool and his money part company.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #16

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Misty
Vessel Model: Californa Performance
I did some research around the PNW and came up with about the same info on anything older than 30 years.. Until I stumbled on this.

Pamela Anderson <PAnderson@bannerbank.com>

Good Morning Ron,

I work at the Belltown Branch, I wanted to touch base with you regarding your below questions.

Banner will lend on boats that are in the age range you are looking at, we do not have a max age we will not go over. We base our decision more so on the valuation of the collateral (survey).

The documented vessel loan at the amount that you would be financing is a 15 year loan, fixed rate, fully amortized loan with an APR of 6.32% (this rate includes a discount for having auto pay from a banner bank account if you choose not to you can add .25% to the rate). There is an account we offer here at Banner called the Banners Best Checking (I can send you some information on that if you would like) that would give you a .25% discount on the loan, along with many other benefits. There is a $350 loan fee and you as the borrower will be responsible for the sales tax, fees, appraisal, etc. The bank requires 20% down and will finance max 80% LTV

Let me know if you have any questions and have a wonderful day.

Best,

Pamela Anderson

Hope this helps
Ron R.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Have you looked into a Personal Line of Credit??

Quite honestly, if you're selling your house and the entire equity is covering 75% of a 34-year-old boat, then either this boat is a borderline yacht, or you might not be ready.

A 34 year old boat is going to require some significant investment in maintenance. If you're down to your last dollar (which I assume you are if you're looking for financing options for the last 25%), then how are you going to cover the inevitable refit??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
Guru

An update: I was able to find financing through my own credit union. Apparently the person I initially spoke to didn't know much about their boat loan program, but it turns out that they'll lend for a boat of any age, as long as the survey checks out and can verify it's worth at least as much as they'll be lending.

It's a three year loan at 5.5% that I'll be able to pay off at exactly the same comfortable pace that I was already saving. So as far as I'm concerned, instead of chucking that money into a savings account to hand to a broker in three years, I can just throw it at the bank now and start cruising.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
I did some research around the PNW and came up with about the same info on anything older than 30 years.. Until I stumbled on this.Hope this helps
Ron R.
Thank you for the leg work Ron! I think I've got it covered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Have you looked into a Personal Line of Credit??

Quite honestly, if you're selling your house and the entire equity is covering 75% of a 34-year-old boat, then either this boat is a borderline yacht, or you might not be ready.

A 34 year old boat is going to require some significant investment in maintenance. If you're down to your last dollar (which I assume you are if you're looking for financing options for the last 25%), then how are you going to cover the inevitable refit??
Some of the reasons the numbers are lining up the way they are:
I live in a really cheap part of the country, so house prices are a pittance compared to most. The boat is old, and I haven't had it surveyed yet, but the damn thing looks practically new. I know that there will be maintenance costs, which will inevitably be more than I was expecting, but I don't believe there will be a significant refit needed. If it turns out that she does require more work that I'm anticipating, then I may very well have to pump the brakes and wait a few more years. I'll be disappointed, but I'm fully prepared to walk away if I need to. That was the original plan after all.
Also, I do have a fair amount of reserve cash that I'm trying not to dip into. I want to keep that flush for all of my other regular costs, and as a safety net.

Thank you for the reality check. I appreciate you looking out for me!
Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We originally purchased our boat on a 3-yr owner contract (with a substantial down payment). After 36 months, the contract was set to increase the monthly payment from $1000/mo to $1500/mo. Needless to say we started looking for more traditional financing.

Like you, we ran into dead end after dead end. In the 34th month we figured as a last resort maybe we should talk to our local bank (Kitsap Bank in Port Townsend) where we had our personal and business accounts. They did it! And in impressive fashion.

Moral of our story is don't forget your local bank...

https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote