Fake USCG Registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may sound cynical, but another Law office will spot an opportunity to file a class action effort against them, and they will dissapear for a few months before popping up again under another name. Where's Ralph Nader when you need him! I see the same official looking documents with our boat registration and especially extended warranty marketeers on both our cars. Once these individuals have a taste of money this way, they can't resist the drug.

When you get an email telling you that the bank you uses needs you to check in and change your password and provides a link, do you do it? I certainly hope you don't click on that link. When you get a phone call telling you there's a problem with your credit card and then need to confirm information, do you talk to them?

Now, the above two are both illegal phishing and can lead to disaster, while the documentation just skirts the issue and costs you $50. Feel lucky and learn the lesson. Go only to official sites of banks, USCG, credit cards and any others. Fake Walmart and Walgreens emails regularly.

Now, in disputing the charge you did wrong and they can do exactly what they say, although doubt seriously they would, but they just might get a lawyer willing to do it over the $50 knowing the potential upside for them is huge. You paid for and received the service. The fact you feel now you overpaid isn't relevant.

As to these firms, there are similar on social security and every other government agency. Be glad that this lesson only cost you $50.

Is what they're doing legal? Yes. They're providing a service of handling your documentation for you. The fact you could do it in the same time it takes to provide them the information isn't relevant. Are they misleading with the advertising and mailer? Of course. And occasionally some agency goes after them and all they do is adjust slightly based on the complaint. Often it's very fine print at the bottom to say they're not part of the CG. Sometimes it forces them to change their website slightly.

Sometime back they changed their website. It reads clearly now, "The Nation's Fastest U.S. Coast Guard Online Processing Service" so clear it isn't the USCG just by that. That simple headline on the page get's them by. I have a real issue with google taking their ads and putting them at the top of the page on any search. However, they provide the service they claim and it's legal to do so. It's simply a service you don't need.

I would drop my dispute quickly if you haven't already done so. It can only lead to problems for you. Rest assured they'll win as they have the right documentation to prove it was a legitimate charge and they've fought many disputes before.

Trawler, sorry you fell for this. I did as well.
We've been having this discussion here and other boating forums for several months now.

On any boating forum, punch "Documentation" into their search function and you will probably find multiple threads on this scam.

Just so you know, the company is a legitimate documentation company and will send out the new document letter. It's just their business ethics we are questioning.

Last edited:
People are still falling for this. Guys, get the word out. Document renewal from the actual Coast Guard is only $26. There is no need to pay some "agent" $75.

Use only this website.
https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/

The irony of this is that i looked at the Email, looking for a ,gov server address. It was a .us server. Thanks Hillary if it wasnt for you i would have taken the bait. Someoen else with a private server.

Got the same letter twice, Tossed it in the garbage.

File a formal complaint with the FCC. The more complaints they have in writing on public record the more documentation they have to get any logo, acronym or any other imposter appearance off the web address and website. He also sends threatening emails to put a lien on your boat when canceling with the credit card company. If he has not provided a service it's easy to cancel.

I would be interested to know where to find in public record liens have been made for $75 bill. It costs money to file for a lien on a boat.

Coast Guard Documentation center employee told me no liens have been filed by the company........

thanks Norm, just received a letter by us mail that my documentation was about ready for renewal $75.00 charge. very official looking letter, but letter head was ,
US Documentation center not USCG Documentation . Thanks again for posting that information .

Mike

thanks Norm, just received a letter by us mail that my documentation was about ready for renewal $75.00 charge. very official looking letter, but letter head was ,
US Documentation center not USCG Documentation . Thanks again for posting that information .

Mike

You will probably get your renewal letter from the real CG in the next 7-10 days.
These people are slick sending out their "reminder letter" a week or two before the CG.

Believe me they invested in lawyers to make sure they're just inside the letter of the law.

Consumer protection is not an area of government responsibility being strengthened these days.

And why would the FCC be involved?

I think he meant to say FTC...Federal Trade Commission.
Postal Service would be a good place to file a complaint as well.

Not the uscg

Want to spend lots of extra money?

Answer this letter… IMG_6497.jpg

Yep, lots of these going around. Now we'll get into whether or not it's a scam, with people weighing in on both sides!:whistling: Personally, I lump them in with people who prey on the elderly and steal their social security checks and what not, but what do I know?

I got one of those too. I know we beat this topic to death, and I know some TF members think it's just a valid third party service provider, etc. That technically may be true, but it still smells borderline scammy to me. FINAL NOTICE. And they use a .us domain name instead of .com, and call themselves the National Documentation Portal as if they're a public agency. Their service may be legal, and heck, might even be helpful to those who can't do a really simple transaction online (I just did mine on the real site for $26). If they were truly above board however and didn't rely on giving people the impression they're an official agency, they'd look and smell and pass themselves off like any other regular, commercial business or service.

The email and web addresses are .us but the USCG uses .mil

SSL is NOT secured or advanced. TLS has replaced SSL.

There is at least on company doing this sort of thing for magazine renewals.....

Later,
Dan

You know if a real boat paperwork business would offer consolidated services that I actually found helpful, I wouldn't mind paying a premium. If I could dump the documentation renewal, the FCC/MMSI/DSC radio license renewal, the state registration renewal, and the dinghy state registration renewal on some company that would just handle it all for me, I'd probably be willing to pay double the actual agency fees so I never have to think about it again (other than sticking the stickers I suppose). Individually each of those transactions are not a huge time drain, but you add them all up, I wouldn't mind unloading them. Instead we just get businesses that try to give the impression they're public agencies, and just offer doc renewals at triple the agency price.

Yep, lots of these going around. Now we'll get into whether or not it's a scam, with people weighing in on both sides!:whistling: Personally, I lump them in with people who prey on the elderly and steal their social security checks and what not, but what do I know?

Agreed. Not a service of value as charged.

Yea, I fell for one of these scammy doc renewals 7-8 years ago. Never again and I’ve made it my mission to alert as many people as possible

You know if a real boat paperwork business would offer consolidated services that I actually found helpful, I wouldn't mind paying a premium. If I could dump the documentation renewal, the FCC/MMSI/DSC radio license renewal, the state registration renewal, and the dinghy state registration renewal on some company that would just handle it all for me, I'd probably be willing to pay double the actual agency fees so I never have to think about it again (other than sticking the stickers I suppose). Individually each of those transactions are not a huge time drain, but you add them all up, I wouldn't mind unloading them. Instead we just get businesses that try to give the impression they're public agencies, and just offer doc renewals at triple the agency price.

Agreed, but not at their pricing which “bundled” would likely be somewhere between $1500-$2000.

Tough to defend as a legitimate 3rd party service when the entire veneer is intended to deceive and obfuscate.

An example of a legit third party service are the firms thar research tax refunds and such that were never collected. They find the payee and offer to collect the money owed to them for a fee. Sure the person could do it themselves, but clearly they haven't. Found money for them.

Peter

If the "service" was easier than going direct with the CG, then they could legitimately call it a service. But it isn't, it's maybe even a little harder. That's not "service".

Scruples ? Ethics? Morals ? Empathy for others ??

Don't see them much anymore! All that, along with "work-ethic". GONE!!!!

I try to remember 2 things"
What goes around USUALLY comes around.......Karma will get ya every time.
And
READ THE FINE PRINT and then investigate!!

There should be laws! There should be consequences!

ALL IMHO

"Do to others, as you would have them do to you" Just say'n

...If I could dump the documentation renewal, the FCC/MMSI/DSC radio license renewal, the state registration renewal, and the dinghy state registration renewal on some company...

Which reminds me, my FCC license is due for renewal next year. Hard to believe I'll have owned this boat for 10 years come December.

At least no scammer has sent me a fake invoice for FCC renewal. Yet.

Which reminds me, my FCC license is due for renewal next year. Hard to believe I'll have owned this boat for 10 years come December.

At least no scammer has sent me a fake invoice for FCC renewal. Yet.

What is your home address?

yea, i fell for one of these scammy doc renewals 7-8 years ago. Never again and i’ve made it my mission to alert as many people as possible

??

I get one every year, it serves to notify me that my documentation with Homeland Security will be in my mailbox soon. (or is it every two years now?)

pete

I get one every year, it serves to notify me that my documentation with Homeland Security will be in my mailbox soon. (or is it every two years now?)

pete

You can get it for 5 years now! ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom