Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #61
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttouomo View Post
Hey, isn't that Dhays boat's pic on his website? The one with it sitting high and dry by the PO ?

Bill

Yup, sure is. The wifi at the marina I am at is way too slow to follow the link on the photo however.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
What bothers me most is his paid ad with Google so if you type "USCG Documentation", he comes up first and the USCG is down the page.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #63
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What bothers me most is his paid ad with Google so if you type "USCG Documentation", he comes up first and the USCG is down the page.
You could try reporting it to Google.

But the trouble is, no mater how sleezy this guy is, it's probably legal. His web site says right at the bottom that he is not the USCG and that he is offering a renewal service. Did his solicitation letters say that? If not, mail fraud might be the most effective way to shut him down.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #64
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
When I operated my business we would often receive similar materials looking authentic and providing a mandated service such as employment posters and meeting minutes records, etc... all quoting the rules or regulations and being delivered in an apparent gov't type envelope.
There are naer do wells, scam artists, and hooligan types everywhere. In the day they used tar a feathers as the proper means of eliminating these type from our areas along with a rail.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #65
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's not a fake. It's a service for the clueless.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It's not a fake. It's a service for the clueless.
No, it's an attempt to make it look like the USCG site, to use a domain that will be confusing, and to trick unsuspecting people into using it. They make claims like the fastest service. I can't see that they provide any service at all. They do basically what you can do from the USCG site.

We use a documentation service for initial documentation and do pay extra, but we get some real services from them. We also use a passport service rather than the post office or passport office, pay extra, and get some real services.

Also to note: They are not a member of the American Vessel Documentation Association
Old 02-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #67
Guru

I'm far more disturbed about him as a surveyor and all those other things he claims to be. On the documentation site, he's just taking $50 from unsuspecting boat owners. Imagine the damage he can do in his other roles. I'm just hoping perhaps a few people become aware of the type person they're dealing with and his representations of his knowledge and experience. I noticed on surveys he bragged about the huge price reduction he got someone with his survey. Here's the quote: "Found this amazing deal for our client…38 Med pristine condition appraised at 65K we made the deal happen for 40K." What?

I will say some things. He knows how to select domain names, how to advertise and promote on google, how to build a website representing himself as having a huge amount of ability and how to make it look like he's really a large operation rather than a one many show. Basically, he knows how to take advantage of the internet and any naive potential customers who don't check things out. An example is "we perform surveys nationwide, just a few of our many locations" and he lists 14 California locations while meanwhile his linked in shows him in school in Vallejo. Sounds though like a huge team of surveyors. He knows how to collect information, rewrite it slightly, and post it on his site exhibiting his alleged skills and expertise. A lot of good information on his survey site and links to interesting articles.

In fact, if I was teaching how to avoid mistakes on the internet, his sites are a couple I'd use as primary teaching tools to warn people. Even the name "US" in his company names makes them sound so large. Think of it. So much more impressive than Dana Point Surveyors or even California. US Marine Surveyors is just as misleading as USCG Documentation. Now, if I wanted to set up a scam of some sort, I'd also use his sites as case studies in how to do so.

He's definitely fine tuned some skills. Just not the type he wants it to appear.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #68
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. "Imagine the damage he can do..." You mean like suggesting/inferring one is a naval architect and posting as such?
Old 02-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #69
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
RT

Or a person stating he is a captain and licensed and after an
owner has given his boat to said captain with enough cash for a 3000 mile trip and after the boat doesn't arrive finding the captain wasn't a captain and the boat can't be located. No me but a friend.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #70
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Bf. Not good but the "captain" doesn't post on TF. At least I hope they don't.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BB. "Imagine the damage he can do..." You mean like suggesting/inferring one is a naval architect and posting as such?
Suggesting he was a member of USSA, which they say he isn't. Wonder how much time he spent at any of the schools he says he went to. To try to look official he puts the logos of ABYC, Homeland Security, TWIC, Navtech and the USCG on his welcome page.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #72
Guru

RT

Not sure how the owner found the fraud but I know he hired a PI. I don't know how it turned out as it was many years ago.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #73
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Caveat emptor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

Old 02-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #74
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Some of us get our jollies of being a white knight slaying evil.
I agree there is some honor in going after dishonesty and fraud. I like to think we're a little more civilized than to all tolerate and condone those among us who wish to take advantage of others.

Each of us must decide where and when we draw the line. While I just tossed the letter in the recycle bin and pulled up the (real) USCG site to renew, I applaud sailerman's decision to fight this battle.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #75
Guru

I admire those who are willing to fight the "good fight". I wish there were more of them.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #76
Guru

Coincidentally, I ran across a fellow North Pacific owner this weekend (Bob) and somehow John Soria came up. Likely because Bob had seen one of the photos of my boat on the rock.

Bob is very active in his yacht club and has actually spoken to Soria on the phone. He has filed complaints with the USCG, and the AGs of a couple states. Bob said that the USCG is in the process of taking action against him for his practice of trying to portray himself as being officially affiliated with them. Bob is actively trying to spread the word among the yacht club to warn their members.

He said at one point he had him on the phone and Soria was in full rant. He put the phone down and let him continue to rant for a while. Finally he came back on said, I'm not listening but am just keeping the line open to see how much of your time you will waste. Soria continued to rant some more.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Coincidentally, I ran across a fellow North Pacific owner this weekend (Bob) and somehow John Soria came up. Likely because Bob had seen one of the photos of my boat on the rock.

Bob is very active in his yacht club and has actually spoken to Soria on the phone. He has filed complaints with the USCG, and the AGs of a couple states. Bob said that the USCG is in the process of taking action against him for his practice of trying to portray himself as being officially affiliated with them. Bob is actively trying to spread the word among the yacht club to warn their members.

He said at one point he had him on the phone and Soria was in full rant. He put the phone down and let him continue to rant for a while. Finally he came back on said, I'm not listening but am just keeping the line open to see how much of your time you will waste. Soria continued to rant some more.
Very interesting. Soria will eventually burn all his bridges, but the problem is people like that just move on to something or somewhere else and pull the same thing again.

Like his business name and website, typically a state attorney general gets involved so they make minor changes to appease. Or, they get stopped and just restart under a different name but another misleading one.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 AM   #78
Guru

I am often amazed at why an obviously smart guy uses his talents that border on illegal activity, certainly if he channeled his skills in a perfectly legal manner he would be successful. My dad use to tell be the one thing we can never run away from is our reputation and to always do what is right to protect what you have built.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #79
Guru

Sailerman, I think it is great that you are pursuing this. Back in my more impulsive youth I almost flew across country to confront someone who was attempting to scam folks. I thought better of it when I realized my wife my not take it kindly if I was jailed for assault in another state.

Anyway, if you feel like getting in touch with the Bob I mentioned in my post pm me. I might be able to connect the two of you.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #80
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Good on ya sailerman. I creeped this guy a bit and it does seem that his credentials are a tad suspicious. I'm sure that SAMS may be interested in his side companies, as he is an Affiliate Member. In fact, the SAMS Pacific meeting was just last weekend. Maybe there was some timely discussion...

Closed Thread

Tags
documentation, john soria, uscgdocumentation.us