Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
They photo copied the license and CG document, gave me a registration sticker good to March 2017 (3 months not required + 12 months), charged me $260 and I was out of there in 10 minutes. No questions, no hassle and peace of mind for a year.
Certainly our governor can put the money to good use promoting FL as a haven for business or funding the All Aboard Florida disaster to be.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Willow B, all I can relate is what actually happened....yesterday. While I have no intention of staying in Fl for more than 6 months, it appears that I could if I wanted and no proof of sales tax was required to get a registration sticker. Could this change from tax office to tax office....no idea.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #23
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Yes, I've talked with different county tax offices and get different answers. The office in Marathon says no tax due if purchased over 6 months ago. I also talked to the FL State tax department and received the same answer.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: OH
Vessel Name: Maggie B
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Willow B, all I can relate is what actually happened....yesterday. While I have no intention of staying in Fl for more than 6 months, it appears that I could if I wanted and no proof of sales tax was required to get a registration sticker. Could this change from tax office to tax office....no idea.

What happened in Florida is not what I was pointing out.

I have never paid sales tax and the boat has no state registration (not required in Texas)

The (not required in Texas) is what I was pointing out. Texas registration of Documented Vessels is required.
Willow-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Not arguing but been boarded many times over the years in Texas without problem or even question. Never had a registration just Documentation as do many of the boats in our old marina. This has been discussed/argued over many beers, many times.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Glad you had no issues when boarded. My experience, not so good. I was in Tx 1984-2014. The problems didn't rear its ugly head until I sold and the new owner tried to register the boat. I even had issues selling a Kayacht (battery powered kayak) I didn't register. Texas wanted registration fees back to my purchase date, plus penalty,, plus interest. I signed affidavit stating the thing was used exclusively out of state. As long as the new owner, doesn't attempt to register, it's all good. My experience....

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. If so, my apologies.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #27
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
After reading all of the above, I decided to visit the local tax office here in Crystal River Florida.

I have never paid sales tax and the boat has no state registration (not required in Texas) and the boat is documented. I took the original Coast guard Document, a completed

APPLICATION TO REGISTER NON-TITLED VESSELS - Form 87244

and my out of state drivers license. They photo copied the license and CG document, gave me a registration sticker good to March 2017 (3 months not required + 12 months), charged me $260 and I was out of there in 10 minutes. No questions, no hassle and peace of mind for a year.

Having never paid sales tax while nice I don't believe is legal regardless of intentions.

The buyer is responsible to someone for the sales taxes unless the seller (retailer) collected and paid them.

I bought a boat that was documented in another state and not registered as it was not required in that state, when I brought it home to FL I painfully paid the taxes on it (form DR42b) and have a receipt for proof. My guess is TX also would have this requirement.

I would not post on a public website that I never paid tax on a large purchase. I believe that at some point in the past you owed sales tax to someone and are now accumulating interest and penalty, good luck.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2010/dr42b.pdf

This explains it nicely and perhaps should be read by the Crystal River person you dealt with, regardless of their lack of understand you are the one responsible for compliance not some clerk in an office.

http://dor.myflorida.com/Forms_libra...t/gt800005.pdf
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #28
Guru

When
is Tax Due?

Unless exempt, a boat must be titled or registered in Florida with any county tax
collector, licensed
private tag agency, or the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles:

Within 30 days of the purchase date or the date the boat entered Florida; or

Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, when the boat is documented,
licensed,
titled, or registered in another state.
Florida use tax, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, due on a boat purchased in Florida or
brought into Florida within six (6) months of the date of purchase, is paid at the time of licensing, titling or registering the boat in Florida

http://dor.myflorida.com/Forms_libra...t/gt800005.pdf
Old 01-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I am merely visiting Florida and leaving again in March. As this is a tad more than 90 days, I registered and got a sticker as required by an out of state boater staying more than 90 days.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #30
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
"Florida use tax, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, due on a boat purchased in Florida or
brought into Florida within six (6) months of the date of purchase, is paid at the time of licensing, titling or registering the boat in Florida"

------------------

After 6 months, no tax is due.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Now get this. After being a resident of Texas for 30 years, I moved to Ohio (so wife could be close to family). I then purchased Willow B, a USCG Documented Vessel. When I went to the county tax office to pay taxes, I was told no taxes due, however, I must register with Ohio DNR. When I contacted DNR, I was told it was $33 per year and receive a pair of state reg stickers. I asked about the sales tax owed. No taxes due here.

I contacted the state comptroller's office and questioned. Seems Ohio truly does NOT collect taxes on documented vessels what so ever.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

So lets go back to the OP's question basically asking how to cruise a documented vessel in Florida. You get a Florida registration/cruising permit for an out of state, documented vessel.

I have been very fortunate in having bought and sold 3 documented vessels in Texas. I have been to the Parks and wildlife department in Houston, who told me unless I specifically wanted to register, it is not required for a documented vessel. I have never been fined or asked for any other papers except the CG papers in any costal state between Tx and Florida. If I thought I was evading taxes, you are right in that I would not be posting about it on a public forum. I also wouldn't be able to sleep nights!
Happy cruising!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
"Florida use tax, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, due on a boat purchased in Florida or
brought into Florida within six (6) months of the date of purchase, is paid at the time of licensing, titling or registering the boat in Florida"

------------------

After 6 months, no tax is due.

Yep true.... at least none owed to Fl.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I am merely visiting Florida and leaving again in March. As this is a tad more than 90 days, I registered and got a sticker as required by an out of state boater staying more than 90 days.

Understand, enjoy your stay.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I applaud you for doing it right and avoiding any problems, but also complying with the law. I don't care how many people get by with not registering a boat in a state that requires it,
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote