Documentation Papers ect.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
We have made copies of our Certificate of Documentation and other various paperwork for our boat. The question is which should we keep on the boat the copy or the originals. We wanted to keep the originals in a safe deposit but now question doing so.

Thanks

CG says originals on the boat.

It's easy enough to get CG replacements, should that become necessary.

-Chris

I keep the originals on the boat, copies at home.

Originals of Fed doc and state registration on the boat. Passport, truck/trailer/dinghy registrations, drivers license etc as well, when out cruising.

Digital copies (scanned) on the laptop, which is also on the boat when cruising. Backup digital copies on a separate disc, in fire safe at home.

Last edited:
Originals of Fed doc and state registration on the boat. Passport, truck/trailer/dinghy registrations, drivers license etc as well, when out cruising.

Digital copies (scanned) on the laptop, which is also on the boat when cruising. Backup digital copies on a separate disc, in fire safe at home.

Pretty much the same here. Must have originals of all official documents but we have many digital copies of all.

I'd definitely recommend good sleeves of some sort for keeping all, even those you know you'll have to remove to show, especially if going out of the country where they sometimes get handled and manhandled and sometimes nothing more than a glance.

Both. When clearing in/out of another country it is really nice to provide them a copy of your documentation. They seem to appreciate it and that allows them to copy off of it what they need for their entry forms etc.. Solves some communication barriers.

Both. When clearing in/out of another country it is really nice to provide them a copy of your documentation. They seem to appreciate it and that allows them to copy off of it what they need for their entry forms etc.. Solves some communication barriers.

Good point. Have copies of everything they've requested. This may keep them from having to make copies, which is often the hold up. We actually ask them in advance how many copies they need.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice and the suggestions. Originals and copies will be my standard.

Gordo

Thanks for the advice and the suggestions. Originals and copies will be my standard.

Gordo

And however many copies you are thinking of, it's not enough. Double it. Triple it. Quadruple it. Seriously, in more than one country, we saw major bottlenecks in the agents trying to get copies made and the fact we provided them however many copies they needed (up to five I think was the most), walked us quickly through. Then there was the one where their copier was down and the repairman not due until the following day. There was only one other boat waiting to be cleared and we made copies for them and copies for immigration on our boat.

Back
Top Bottom