Old 09-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #141
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Same experience here with the FCC when we were gearing up our new boat for our East Coast trip. FCC, another massive, complex govt bureaucracy, but somehow the issued all our licenses in a few days. CG took around eight months for the boat doc, and nearly two years for the previous owner's loan satisfaction.
Likewise - had many dealings with the FCC over MMSI, Ship's Callsign and Amateur Radio. As clunky as the user interface may be, their computer system works and they're able to process requests in hours and days rather than weeks and months.

Contrast that with NVDC where I had received my paper COD and it was still 2 weeks before the entry showed up in their online database search. Now what is wrong with that picture?

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #142
Veteran Member

City: Burke, VA
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-023
They update the online database once a month.

Tranquility
KK 42-023
gehales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #143
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehales View Post
They update the online database once a month.
Ah ok. The FCC updates nightly I believe.
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #144

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Our TCOD, dated September 17, arrived yesterday. The official and hull numbers are correct but no boat name or hailing port is listed. Since our application for exchange includes changing those, I called and asked which we operate under until we receive the COD. They said to go ahead and change the name and hailing port.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #145

City: Fort lee
I put a deposit on a boat not knowing about CG undocument process

Iniitially seller assured me that I'll be able to regiester the boat in NY state, even though it's been documented. But after 3 days, seller tells me that I can't regiester the boat until the boat gets un documented and it's going to take 3weeks! Now this process can take longer and can even get complicated, if the right paper work is not submitted! I agree with the gentleman who started this thread.

So, I backed out of the deal and the seller got mad at me and he's refusing to return my $1000 deposit! I mean if the guy knew he's going to put his boat up for sale then why wait until the last minute to un document it! I don't know what to do. This is first time ever buying a boat! What can I do to recover my deposit form the seller?

Thanks,
Lias
lias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #146
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
Our TCOD, dated September 17, arrived yesterday. The official and hull numbers are correct but no boat name or hailing port is listed. Since our application for exchange includes changing those, I called and asked which we operate under until we receive the COD. They said to go ahead and change the name and hailing port.

Whatever you do, don't move your boat until that is all corrected...
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #147
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
You need a Buyers Agent/Broker!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #148
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
For what its worth, my documentation hadn't worked its way through the system when it was time to take the new boat on a trip to the Bahamas. With my purchase paperwork and copies of my application for USCG documentation, I cleared into Bahamas and then back into the U.S. and nobody batted an eye.

There are enough real problems in life that may need my attention that I try to not sweat the small stuff.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #149
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by lias View Post
Iniitially seller assured me that I'll be able to regiester the boat in NY state, even though it's been documented. But after 3 days, seller tells me that I can't regiester the boat until the boat gets un documented and it's going to take 3weeks! Now this process can take longer and can even get complicated, if the right paper work is not submitted! I agree with the gentleman who started this thread.

So, I backed out of the deal and the seller got mad at me and he's refusing to return my $1000 deposit! I mean if the guy knew he's going to put his boat up for sale then why wait until the last minute to un document it! I don't know what to do. This is first time ever buying a boat! What can I do to recover my deposit form the seller?

Thanks,
Lias

I you still want the boat, I don't think this is a big deal. Just file the paperwork to undocument, and keep a copy with the boat. When that's completed, go register it in NYS. Everyone buying a documented boat has to deal with the Coast Guard turn around time, which can literally be months. It doesn't matter whether you are undocumenting, or transferring the documentation.

If you don't want the boat, then your contract should be clear on whether the seller gets to keep the deposit.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #150
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:

Thanks,
Lias

Why can't you register it in NYS?

No matter what is going on, I would think you should be able to register it as long as you have a bill of sale and a clean HIN number.

Undocumenting and transfer of ownership are 2 different things...no need to "undocument"...unless you have to.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #151
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
For what its worth, my documentation hadn't worked its way through the system when it was time to take the new boat on a trip to the Bahamas. With my purchase paperwork and copies of my application for USCG documentation, I cleared into Bahamas and then back into the U.S. and nobody batted an eye.

There are enough real problems in life that may need my attention that I try to not sweat the small stuff.
We took a boat with expired U.S. Documentation to the Bahamas several years ago, and didn't even notice until we were pulling out the documentation paperwork to clear in.

We just handed it to the Bahamian officials without saying anything and they cleared us in without even mentioning it. However, later in the trip, we got boarded by the U.S. Coast Guard, in the Bahamas, and they did write us up for it. But, we didn't have to leave the Bahamas.

And, I guess the statue of limitations have passed, so I can say we just came back to the U.S. without clearing in to avoid getting hassled again. Never heard anything from that, either.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #152

City: Fort lee
Hi,

Our contract doesn't state that he could keep the deposit. It says if everything goes well then I'd buy the boat.
lias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #153
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Hi,

Our contract doesn't state that he could keep the deposit. It says if everything goes well then I'd buy the boat.
It doesn't say he can't keep the deposit either!
I think the "if everything goes well" may be the root of your problem. Goes well is not very definitive and should be much more specific... acceptable survey, engine mechanical inspection, seller producing clear title, etc and should include an anticipated time frame.
Also what conditions constitute return of deposit... there is no mention of return of deposit if it doesn't "go well".
Return may be justified by the contract being one sided... I'm no lawyer but I believe contracts need to represent both sides?? What say the legal beagles?
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #154

City: Lutz
Doc

I agree with the seller- just because govt agencies take some time it isn't his fault- besides you can use the boat fully while paperwork goes thru. You possibly caused him to miss another prospect and sale.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Boat/US has sample sales contacts on it’s website.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote