Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
And if you continue to have problems with this, then again I suggest engaging the help of someone who does it all the time for a living.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #102
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
WHAT? Then what the heck is the issue?
Exactly!

Quote:
The more you post the more it seems like you and the CG are in total disconnect.
There's definitely a disconnect somewhere.

Quote:
I got straight and problem solving answers in 10 minutes.
CDR might have helped...but I didn't use it up front and retired takes a lot out of it anyway.
Hey, it never hurts
Old 08-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #103
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Naw...she was way more PC than I am....

But like using the wrong oil, filter or anchor...fearmongering has become a pastime on TF.

Then it turns into entertainment for those that have not much substantial to offer.
Well other than a derogatory comment or two I didnt have much at all to contribute. So sign me up for the entertainment value.

I still like the irony of someone that spent his time "writing the rules" being upset about getting caught in their snare.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #104
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Dang, I thought my answer back on post 11 was definitive on this: If you are asserting you are a documented vessel and you aren't, you can get a heavy fine. So stop asserting you are documented and assert something else - that you can back up and/or that has lesser fines - until you become documented. This is such a nothing-burger of an issue...
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #105
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post

I'm going to try and get the BoatUS government affairs guy who is following this to do that. As you say, it sometimes depends who is asking.
Some time ago I asked the BoatUS Government Affairs people if they could try to work on/influence the backlog issue. They expressed no interest. Maybe you will have more success than I did. If ever there were a government problem/policy practice that impacts boaters, this seems to be one.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #106

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Neeld,

...pet rock....you sure you weren't a cop or a fireman in some life?

OD
I am a fireman and the missus is a cop so we are not the sharpest knives in the draw. Was that a shot fired across our bow?
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #107
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmeyer13 View Post
I am a fireman and the missus is a cop so we are not the sharpest knives in the draw. Was that a shot fired across our bow?
I doubt it...I'll bet he considers all of you part of the brotherhood too...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #108
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
At the risk of sounding like - gasp - a certain presidential candidate, what difference does any of this make? What is the point of all this hand-wringing and fretting and the phone calls and the preoccupation with federal regs and compliance and processing delays? Who cares? Fed documentation for recreational boats has become a meaningless exercise, it has almost no bearing on practical reality, or on moving a (state registered) boat from point A to point B, even across international borders.

I'm reminded of the poem "Terrance this is stupid stuff." I'm paying $26 - every year now - for the privilege of not cluttering the look of my hull with state registration numbers. There it is. The End.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #109

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Some time ago I asked the BoatUS Government Affairs people if they could try to work on/influence the backlog issue. They expressed no interest. Maybe you will have more success than I did. If ever there were a government problem/policy practice that impacts boaters, this seems to be one.
I have and they are on it. It isn't going to happen fast though. This whole thread is intended to help show that the backlog is causing problems.

A lot of you are not helping with that
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #110
Guru

I think Documentation is still valid.

I think the USCG should be able to get documentation through faster.

But I don't, and apparently a lot of others, don't see it as a problem to the average rec boater.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 AM   #111

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
I think Documentation is still valid.
So do I although I would be tempted to give it up at this point for most of the cruising we plan to do.

However, I am sure Cuba is going to open up for US cruisers fairly soon and I would not burn the documentation bridge until I know what the requirements are going to be for vessels visiting there.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #112
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmeyer13 View Post
Absolutely not!
No warning shots here

Quote:
I doubt it...I'll bet he considers all of you part of the brotherhood too...
Thanks neeld
kwmeyer, he is correct. There was no ill will meant by that statement. His comments sounded like something I'd expect to hear come from a cop or firefighter/paramedic. I sent you a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
...I am sure Cuba is going to open up for US cruisers fairly soon and I would not burn the documentation bridge until I know what the requirements are going to be for vessels visiting there.
I hear ya.
Heard somewhere that they were planning on seizing non-doc'd vessels to bolster their new Cuban Navy....Just sayin'...
Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #113
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
I had no choice but keep my boat documented - it was still a requirement for my marine mortgage. But as I mentioned before I traveled through Canada and back into the US with only a bill of sale and a copy of the application. I wasn't worried.

Just make the call - you're either worried or not. If you are then get state registration or stay at the dock. If not (like me) then go and enjoy your boat. End of story.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #114
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
46CFR67.313(a) The person in command of a documented vessel must have on board that vessel the original Certificate of Documentation currently in effect for that vessel.

46CFR67.315(a) The person in command of a documented vessel must produce the original Certificate of Documentation currently in effect for that vessel upon the demand of any person acting in an official public capacity.
As stated here this has gone way way way (dare I say it?) overboard.

The key to reading the CFR is the words "command of a documented vessel......."

The vessel is NOT yet documented.... Everyone take a deep breath think about a nice place that smells like salt and fish and enjoy. If you are boarded and have a copy of the USCG application and a "travel letter" from the sellers broker you are just fine!

Now, for those still with their panties in a wad, we are at the end of August, we loosing daylight more everyday, CHILL and enjoy the rest of the summer.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #115

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Just a note to all, no offense was taken with OD's comment. I figured he was kidding and I thought people would know I was kidding when I put that smiley face thing in with my post. My apologies if I ruffled any feathers.
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #116

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Alegría
Vessel Model: Overblue 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
As stated here this has gone way way way (dare I say it?) overboard.

The key to reading the CFR is the words "command of a documented vessel......."

The vessel is NOT yet documented.... Everyone take a deep breath think about a nice place that smells like salt and fish and enjoy. If you are boarded and have a copy of the USCG application and a "travel letter" from the sellers broker you are just fine!

Now, for those still with their panties in a wad, we are at the end of August, we loosing daylight more everyday, CHILL and enjoy the rest of the summer.
Don't think this is the answer. The OP bought a documented boat. I don't think it became "undocumented" by virtue of being sold. But the COD became obsolete because it has the wrong ownership information on it.

More interesting is the phrase "currently in effect." In the OP's case, no such COD exists.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #117
Guru

The person I spoke to at the NVDC didn't seem to indicate that or it flat out just doesn't matter if the vessel is only in recreational use without needing to be documented.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #118
Veteran Member

I agree with Roger and being legal. I have been waiting since the first week of April. Watched the process dates on the web site. Tried to call many times after it passed my application date and no one answers or returns calls. I emailed several times now and the webmaster has replied the the email has been forwarded to a supervisor for review. I want to run my boat and not just move it. Yep the system is broke.
VagabondLRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #119
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Run your boat. I'll post your bail when you're arrested by the CG.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #120
Veteran Member

I emailed to a different email last night. See what happens
VagabondLRT is offline   Reply With Quote