Documentation Dysfunction – Serious Issue for Buyers and Sellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what its worth, my documentation hadn't worked its way through the system when it was time to take the new boat on a trip to the Bahamas. With my purchase paperwork and copies of my application for USCG documentation, I cleared into Bahamas and then back into the U.S. and nobody batted an eye.

There are enough real problems in life that may need my attention that I try to not sweat the small stuff.

We took a boat with expired U.S. Documentation to the Bahamas several years ago, and didn't even notice until we were pulling out the documentation paperwork to clear in.

We just handed it to the Bahamian officials without saying anything and they cleared us in without even mentioning it. However, later in the trip, we got boarded by the U.S. Coast Guard, in the Bahamas, and they did write us up for it. But, we didn't have to leave the Bahamas.

And, I guess the statue of limitations have passed, so I can say we just came back to the U.S. without clearing in to avoid getting hassled again. Never heard anything from that, either. :D

Hi,

Our contract doesn't state that he could keep the deposit. It says if everything goes well then I'd buy the boat.

Hi,

Our contract doesn't state that he could keep the deposit. It says if everything goes well then I'd buy the boat.
It doesn't say he can't keep the deposit either!
I think the "if everything goes well" may be the root of your problem. Goes well is not very definitive and should be much more specific... acceptable survey, engine mechanical inspection, seller producing clear title, etc and should include an anticipated time frame.
Also what conditions constitute return of deposit... there is no mention of return of deposit if it doesn't "go well".
Return may be justified by the contract being one sided... I'm no lawyer but I believe contracts need to represent both sides?? What say the legal beagles?

Doc

I agree with the seller- just because govt agencies take some time it isn't his fault- besides you can use the boat fully while paperwork goes thru. You possibly caused him to miss another prospect and sale.

Boat/US has sample sales contacts on it’s website.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom