Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #121

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
I mailed my check and documentation application on July 21 and received a a temporary documentation on August 24 (dated 8-12-15). I'll see how long it takes to get the real thing.LOL

ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #122
Veteran Member

I didn't get a temporary! I can't get anyone there to even respond.

VagabondLRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #123
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
To the posters in this thread who think compliance is important, eventually the bureaucracy will wear you down. It takes lots of energy to be persistent, you can't keep it up forever. Kind of like Winston in 1984. 2 + 2 =5 Winston, or sometimes 4, sometimes 3. Eventually you'll be like the humans in The Matrix, in a docile, semi-comatose state, dreaming of running your boats somewhere in your heads, while the Ministry of Information sits on all your submissions and paperwork and emails and phone messages...quietly laughing at you.

www.kafka-online.info/before-the-law.html
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #124

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondLRT View Post
Might be time to call your representative in Congress. That's one thing they're there for, and sometimes it works. And if enough people call, they might actually do something about the problem.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #125

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondLRT View Post
Have you checked this link on the NVDC site?

USCG CGMIX National Vessel Documentation Center Documentation Status Search Page

If you don't get something soon, it will be a while. From the NVDC site:

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PUBLIC

The United States Coast Guard is updating its Marine Information for Safety and Law Enforcement (MISLE 5.0) database system starting Wednesday September 9, 2015 and is expected to be completed on Saturday September 12, 2015. As a result, the National Vessel Documentation Center's (NVDC) Vessel Documentation System database system will be off line throughout this evolution. As a result the NVDC will not have access to VDS and will not be able to provide any normal services, including phone services, from close of business Tuesday 8 September 2015 through Friday 11 September 2015. Full service is expected to resume on Monday morning, September 14, 2015
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #126
Veteran Member

I watch the site. Unfortunately I did see the downtime. Ridiculous. Thinking the same about Reps and or Senate. I just don't want to be a target. Thanks.
VagabondLRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #127

City: Houston
On the cruisersforum site there's a thread on documentation in which people are describing an "expedite" capability the USCG offers that is getting people their permanent certificate in just a few days.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #128
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
On the cruisersforum site there's a thread on documentation in which people are describing an "expedite" capability the USCG offers that is getting people their permanent certificate in just a few days.
Long ago in this thread I spoke of it, I believe. We've used it three times. It's available if you have immediate plans to leave the country, which is the only circumstance where you'd really need it. Works well. Just don't abuse it, people. Use it only if you fit the requirements. And, no, we haven't abused it as each of the boats I referred to did quickly leave the country. One to Canada. One to the Bahamas. One to Mexico.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #129
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Just wondering - a lot of fear mongering about what the worst case COULD be...
Has anyone here ACTUALLY been cited and FINED when they applied but haven't rec'd their documentation yet???
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #130
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Just wondering - a lot of fear mongering about what the worst case COULD be...
Has anyone here ACTUALLY been cited and FINED when they applied but haven't rec'd their documentation yet???
It is fear mongering without basis in my opinion unless you're leaving the country. Then, if you have a state registration you could be ok, but then the question will be why aren't the numbers on the side. For the states with no registrations you'd definitely have an issue. So expedite when you fit the circumstances they offer it for. Otherwise just relax.

Wifey B: Ok, I will guarantee a good many people here have performed sexual acts that were illegal in one or more states. People on this documentation issue stand about the same risk as they do.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #131
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Wifey B: Ok, I will guarantee a good many people here have performed sexual acts that were illegal in one or more states. People on this documentation issue stand about the same risk as they do.

Oh great, now I wont be able to sleep.

By the way, how did you know?
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #132
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Great news, NVDC is currently working on paperwork from 05/18/15. Should have documentation reflecting the name change of my boat some time in January.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #133
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
As I mentioned previously, I have entered Canada and the US without "proper documentation". Just a bill of sale and copy of an application for docn by a Marine Title company. No problems at all. Only one data point admittedly - but it's actual experience compared with pure speculation.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #134
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
It is fear mongering without basis in my opinion unless you're leaving the country.
I dont believe even that is a reason.

Recreational boats DO NOT need to be documented. Thus no fines or levies for not having the documentation papers. It's strictly voluntary.

All that is required is the state registration. The state numbers must be displayed unless documentation papers are used to supersede that requirement.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
I dont believe even that is a reason.

Recreational boats DO NOT need to be documented. Thus no fines or levies for not having the documentation papers. It's strictly voluntary.

All that is required is the state registration. The state numbers must be displayed unless documentation papers are used to supersede that requirement.
It generally isn't but there are times it may be, not so much as a matter of law, but due to the specific customs official. Regardless, the USCG considers it to be a matter worthy of urgency.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #136
Guru

Quote:
...Regardless, the USCG considers it to be a matter worthy of urgency.
Urgency? I don't see how that's possible when they still report processing times for some transactions (like mortgage satisfactions) in years. So glad our $26 annual renewal fees fixed this situation as they promised (that was sarcasm in case I was too subtle).
Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #137
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Urgency? I don't see how that's possible when they still report processing times for some transactions (like mortgage satisfactions) in years. So glad our $26 annual renewal fees fixed this situation as they promised (that was sarcasm in case I was too subtle).
Urgency as in priority processing which takes less that two weeks when you submit the forms necessary for it. You submit your plans to leave the country and they'll turn it right around.

I'm not talking about anything else as they're obviously not making the progress then need to.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #138
Guru

City: kemah
docs is at 5/18/2015 but mortgage docs is 10/27/14. glad I paid cash.

I got logged as submitting june 9 so I figure by xmas hopefully.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #139
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Great news, NVDC is currently working on paperwork from 05/18/15. Should have documentation reflecting the name change of my boat some time in January.

Ted
You've got to love this. The government sends messages in their own mysterious ways. No record yet of the NVDC having received my paperwork......unless you count them cashing my check. Must be pretty tough to scan those 3 pages and enter my official number.

On another note, SARSAT Beacon Registration (NOAA) took 6 hours to research and release my epirb number and MMSI number from the previous owner. Was able to re-register it online in my name that night and received conformation email with registration document the next day.......at no charge.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #140
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
On another note, SARSAT Beacon Registration (NOAA) took 6 hours to research and release my epirb number and MMSI number from the previous owner. Was able to re-register it online in my name that night and received conformation email with registration document the next day.......at no charge.

Ted
Same experience here with the FCC when we were gearing up our new boat for our East Coast trip. FCC, another massive, complex govt bureaucracy, but somehow they issued all our licenses in a few days. CG took around eight months for the boat doc, and nearly two years for the previous owner's loan satisfaction.