Old 11-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Question Is it difficult to sell a steel boat?

I wonder how this will go over? Some see rust as an issue? I see a lot of rusty trollers at Fishermans terminal in Seattle.

Is it more difficult to sell steel vs wood vs plastic?

Old 11-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Assuming we are talking a boat below 60', there are far fewer people that would consider steel compared to fiberglass. The same is true for wood compared to fiberglass. Not sure whether more people would consider steel or wood. Once you get above 60', likely steel gets closer to fiberglass in acceptance and wood drifts even further away from both.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Steel Hull

I had a steel 65' Army T Boat. 125,000 pounds. If you can cut steel, weld, grind , sand blast and coat with anti corrosive coating they will last decades. The North Sea is full of steel vessels. You can dent them and ground out and get away with it, but most are not a thing of beauty. More for rough use. Look at the Hollenders vessel and DeVies model for nice looking well made boats.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
I wonder how this will go over? Some see rust as an issue? I see a lot of rusty trollers at Fishermans terminal in Seattle.

Is it more difficult to sell steel vs wood vs plastic?
The key words I picked up in your post were "rusty trollers". For those, there is virtually no market. As Diver said, in small boats, the buyers just aren't looking for steel and consider it to be high maintenance vs. fiberglass, although not as high maintenance as wood. They typical boat buyer of under 50' boats is wanting one they can hop in and go. Also, many are moving up from smaller boats and all they are use to is fiberglass.

That said, if I was looking new and wanted a trawler type boat, then I'd strongly consider steel.

You didn't mention aluminum and it falls somewhere in between in terms of maintenance. However, many buyers in the small boat market associate it with cheap boats, not with megayachts, so not as quality. In a range we were looking there is an aluminum boat. Great design. Good performance. But I couldn't convince myself to go for it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
For the serious and well heeled blue water cruisers, Dashew's all Al vessels have no shortage of buyers. A trip to his website is a good tutorial on the pros and cons of various build materials.

Whether sail or his MVs, the Al boats are stunning, unless of course you are looking for accolades on dockside appearance from the party boaters.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
I did consider a steel 48foot boat this year the boat was around 1/2 the price of fiberglass and half the age of other fiberglass boats I have looked at the hull had beautiful clean lines and came with a very good survey .The engine room was enormous was told this was only possible with steel ? The turn off to me was the superstructure and living area left me cold due everything been made of steel it was unpleasant to sit on and touch it was more like a glorified fishing boat not a pleasure craft for this reason alone my decision was made not to purchase a steel boat
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
"Is it hard to sell a steel boat?" I would have to answer that question as a big YES as far as I am concerned. I have had mine about 10 or 12 years and have listed it once. I received several offers and did not negotiate then pulled it off the market because at that time I just could not part with her. I enjoy the engine room space, the rounded canoe stern, her seaworthiness, righting properties, and her layout. I have learned to appreciate her forgiveness if running in shallow waters. I have found competent labor and materials for repair work in the most remote locations of the world. I love her stability and the way she handles around the dock, air draft has never been an issue.

I am starting to wear out a lot sooner than my boat and I know that health issues will make me part with her very soon, but it will be very difficult to do so. So yes, once again it is hard to sell a steel boat.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
"Is it hard to sell a steel boat?" I would have to answer that question as a big YES as far as I am concerned. I have had mine about 10 or 12 years and have listed it once. I received several offers and did not negotiate then pulled it off the market because at that time I just could not part with her. I enjoy the engine room space, the rounded canoe stern, her seaworthiness, righting properties, and her layout. I have learned to appreciate her forgiveness if running in shallow waters. I have found competent labor and materials for repair work in the most remote locations of the world. I love her stability and the way she handles around the dock, air draft has never been an issue.

I am starting to wear out a lot sooner than my boat and I know that health issues will make me part with her very soon, but it will be very difficult to do so. So yes, once again it is hard to sell a steel boat.
Nice post, thanks and all the best to you.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #9

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
I can understand the difficulties in selling such a beautiful "steel boat".

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2641598&type=3
Old 11-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
FF
Guru

Selling Steel is LOCATION , LOCATION , LOCATION just like real estate.

Ship your smaller steel boat over to a steel loving area like Euroland and it will sell far faster and at a good enough price to pay for the shipping.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Selling Steel is LOCATION , LOCATION , LOCATION just like real estate.

Ship your smaller steel boat over to a steel loving area like Euroland and it will sell far faster and at a good enough price to pay for the shipping.
I doubt that it would sell for enough. You have to consider shipping of over $50,000 plus tax would be 17% or so. For a boat selling for $200,000 or less that would be hard to recover.

Could always cruise across the Atlantic and then sell it there.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"You have to consider shipping of over $50,000 plus tax would be 17% or so."

You cant get away from the tax man but dealing directly with a boat captain can lower the deck cargo cost by 90%.

Steel boats are simply held up with simple pipe struts welded to the carriers deck.

To be safe the owner must travel with the boat , or the interior may be stripped.

Crew making $2.00 a day will find everything that could be gifted or sold a great deal.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
"

To be safe the owner must travel with the boat , or the interior may be stripped.

Crew making $2.00 a day will find everything that could be gifted or sold a great deal.
I don't know where you got the idea that the boat will be "stripped", I for one HAVE ACTUALLY shipped my own boat across the ocean as deck cargo and not one thing was touched, the companionway door was left unlocked for emergency purposes.

Also in this day of shipping it would be next to impossible to ever get to negotiate with a captain as the ships almost never sit on the dock for a day and the logistics to ship a boat typically take a couple weeks to deal with.. so strolling up and chatting to the captain of a 1000' container ship about hauling your boat to wherever would be slim to none.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #14
Guru

Hollywood: First you would need your TWIC to get on the dock.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Tramp steamer days of old maybe. These days agents, customs and port security issues are going to make that next to impossible.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #16
FF
Guru

"Tramp steamer days of old maybe. These days agents, customs and port security issues are going to make that next to impossible"

Panama still exists.As does many smaller ports that are serviced by smaller boats , not 8000TEU box boats.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
"Tramp steamer days of old maybe. These days agents, customs and port security issues are going to make that next to impossible"

Panama still exists.As does many smaller ports that are serviced by smaller boats , not 8000TEU box boats.
And you make one of those side deals and you may just be saying goodbye to your boat forever. Enough people have had to pay the second time to recover their boat from ship arrest while using what they thought was a legitimate shipper. Let's see you get insurance for such a deal.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
Guru

The last time I made it down to Panama and visited both sides it was pretty much a state of the art port city. Computer driven loadings and off loadings. What many people do not realize is that there is just about as much container / intermodal freight off loaded from ships then loaded on trains to transit to the other side as there is on ships. I doubt that the old capt. would be allowed to pick up extra freight at his discretion in the two major ports of Panama.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
The last time I made it down to Panama and visited both sides it was pretty much a state of the art port city. Computer driven loadings and off loadings. What many people do not realize is that there is just about as much container / intermodal freight off loaded from ships then loaded on trains to transit to the other side as there is on ships. I doubt that the old capt. would be allowed to pick up extra freight at his discretion in the two major ports of Panama.
And if an old captain did so he would clearly be operating outside the law, which simply means zero protection for you.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #20

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Back on July 31st I posted an ad here for a beautiful 54' steel hull trawler. There have been 848 views of the ad but not a single inquiry from TF. I year ago I posted an ad for a 54' Sparkman and Stevens design fiberglass trawler and it sold to a TF reader within three months.