Old 11-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
One thing about aluminum and steel boats, is that plate can be bent around one axis, it can be bent around another axis, but not both at the same time. Well it can, but it takes a hell of a lot of heat or force to do it. Very hard to make pleasant curves. With plate, you end up with slab sides and hard chines. To do curves, plate must be formed or contour cut and welded in thinner strips.

That's why lots of steel and al boats are a bit ugly. To make them pretty is not easy.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
One thing about aluminum and steel boats, is that plate can be bent around one axis, it can be bent around another axis, but not both at the same time. Well it can, but it takes a hell of a lot of heat or force to do it. Very hard to make pleasant curves. With plate, you end up with slab sides and hard chines. To do curves, plate must be formed or contour cut and welded in thinner strips.

That's why lots of steel and al boats are a bit ugly. To make them pretty is not easy.
To make them beautiful is harder still; 2010 Custom Dutch Barge Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've known people who have fallen in love with one, only to turn away when they discovered it was steel.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #24

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
Smooth round bilges in 1/4" thick plate are perfectly possible. It requires a degree of skill which is not very common now days. But it can be done.
Without heat and without cutting the plate in numerous tiny pieces.
I hope the picture comes out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376[1].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	46981  
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:10 PM   #25

This is maybe a better view from the bow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0615[1].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	46982  
Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
Smooth round bilges in 1/4" thick plate are perfectly possible. It requires a degree of skill which is not very common now days. But it can be done.
DANG! That's purdy!!
Old 12-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #27
Guru

That is indeed well done plate forming!!! Kudos. How did you form the plates?
Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #28

Ski- Florence was designed and built by George Sutton, launched in 1964. I think she was probably one of the last of his boats built in New Port Beach California as he moved to Tarpon Springs Florida in 1965. She was custom finished for Jay Stoddard the then mayor of New Port Beach.
I think that the boat was built very much like a wood boat from a table of offsets (which I have) her frames built and stringers run then plated. Each piece would be tack welded and then bent into place with wedges and come alongs. It is possible that a large english wheel could be used to shape plate but I have not heard of anyone doing a steel boat that way.
Smooth curves are a matter of practice and taking your time. George Sutton grew up in Portland Oregon building steel boats with is father and brother. After the death of his brother in a welding accident George moved to New Port Beach and built steel boats there for a number of years. In 1965 he moved to Tarpon Springs and built boats there until his death in ( I think) 1988.
Pictures are of the book on Florence A and the yellow sheet is the hand written table of offsets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1152[1].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	46984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	46985  
Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #29
Guru

Well done indeed. But the only way to get a compound curve is either to heat or beat, come alongs won't do it. Rosebuds and hammers will!!!
Old 12-01-2015, 01:55 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Well done indeed. But the only way to get a compound curve is either to heat or beat, come alongs won't do it. Rosebuds and hammers will!!!
Large press brake and an artists touch?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #31
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The numbers of large steel yachts with curves galore is significant. A dock walk in a large yacht marina or page turning in a high end yachting magazine reveals plenty of steel yachts. But alas, few are Fe below say 120 feet. One of the exceptions is a steel plate vessel called Sonata, built in a smart fellows back yard in CA and cruised extensively in the PNW. It is a Bruce Roberts design and a look around will show many of these gorgeous vessels including a TF member.

I've a few friends with Buehler design steel vessels that are quite nice looking. Broward's Al yachts are curvaceous as well, both inside and out. Coastal Craft makes curvaceous Al vessels that many have thought to be FRP upon first sighting.

The models and makers of beautiful Al sport fishing boats in the PNW are too numerous to name. For many years several NZ yards have specialized in Al yachts,think Jeffrey Archer designs.

Of course how many Tuckers or Jaguars have you seen that are FRP. Look around, metal abounds.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #32
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
WOW - I like her even more... Sexy Bottom on that Gal!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Good looking boat Bryan. That starboard pic would make a nice avatar
Old 12-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #34
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Round bottom and shapely stern.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

I've a few friends with Buehler design steel vessels that are quite nice looking. Broward's Al yachts are curvaceous as well, both inside and out. Coastal Craft makes curvaceous Al vessels that many have thought to be FRP upon first sighting.

I find Coastal Craft most interesting as to an aluminum mid sized cruiser. I have tremendous respect for the designer, Greg Marshall. He's a Bill Garden Protege who has done a lot of work for Westport, has done some beautiful newer designs for Burger, which unfortunately they've never sold any of.

Coastal Craft's 40' has a top speed of 37 knots and gets 1 nmpg at it's cruise speed of 30 knots. At 7.5 knots it gets about 3 nmpg. Their 56' even cruises at 27-30 knots and has one of the most incredible flybridges I've seen. Then their 65' has won several awards, and rivals any boat in it's class styling wise. All their boats do use IPS. We were very tempted by their 65.

Here is the 40'.

Name:  Coastal Craft.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  6.9 KB
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Ulysses is 52' or so, hull steel with Al house and I do not think there is a square spot on her. If you can frame it you can plate it. Detroit found that out over a hundred years ago, thus a new model every year with a slightly different flare or bend. And if Al did not bend readily they would make cans out of something else. Of course there is an art and craftsmanship involved in any construction medium. You will note that there are many square and chunky glass boats too probably for the same reasons costs and talent.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Lake Oswego
Vessel Name: M/V Stout
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Bryan, cool looking boat! Are the pictures of your boat on the hard at the west DIY yard in Astoria?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #38

Yes we are on the hard in Astoria. Maybe floating before Christmas maybe not.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Lake Oswego
Vessel Name: M/V Stout
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
I thought the background looked familiar. Hope you can keep the sawdust out of any painting you be doing and your repairs go well. Maybe we will see each other on the Columbia when you are back in PDX?
Old 12-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #40

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
The Dutch yacht builders sure seem to make rounded surfaces in steel and perhaps even with compound curves. I could not find a good picture of Klee Wycks bow but like FlorenceA she seems to have steel that curves horizontally in toward the fine entry and also vertically out from water line up. I think some of this is done by laying up strips of steel almost like planking but then faring to an art form.
Many of these boats built there under 100 feet and a search of steel hulls under 60 feet for sale will turn up many pages. It has been interesting to me to see so few steel pleasure boats here in the PNW and so many there with climate and cruising grounds not that different.
There is currently a Ukrainian built 50 foot steel hull for sale that I think is stunningly beautiful. I wish I could get her out of my head.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	klee wyck stern 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	47140