Cost to Import Used Trawler from Canada into US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilermaker75

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kimberly Dawn
Vessel Make
1984 Marine Trader 40 Sundeck Trawlet
Does anyone have experience or know what import fees or taxes or duties are charged by US Customs when a US citizen purchases a used trawler in Canada and imports/brings it into th US?

I looked it up online once when we were looking at a Canadian boat. As I remember it was easy to find. It may depend on if the boat came from the US to Canada or straight to Canada from the Far East.

It will depend on where the boat was built. If built in Canada, I think no duty. If built elsewhere, then up to 1.5%. Generally duty is in the noise, cost wise. However all this has been thrown into chaos as heads of state swing their manhood in unproductive ways. So worth checking with a customs broker who is up to speed. I think worst case you are looking at 10% for a China made boat. It should only be on the actual China content which is typically significantly less than the total boat value. But might shift costs from insignificant to significant.

My current boat was Canadian owned, but US built. 1942 Wheeler, 83' cost me $12.50.

The customs people like to know what's coming in advance. I notified them by email and that day by telephone. They were very nice, met me where I docked, and even filled out the papers for me. And my papers were a mess. The Canadians had the build date and builder wrong. I had a stack of papers and email copies while the US documentation was pending. And it still only took a few minutes.
At the time the boat went from US to Canadian ownership it was totally rebuilt. Only the hull, shafts, and rudders were original. The yard that did the rebuild was down as the builder. Saving grace was the US number was still in the main beam.

Comodave's response prompted me to look it up on the US Customs and Boarder Protection website ( https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1184/~/importing-a-boat-for-personal-use-into-the-u.s. ), and I found the following:
To import a personal boat into the United States, the following documents should be submitted to the CBP Officer at the Port of Entry:
- Proof of ownership such as a bill of sale.
- Proof the boat conforms to EPA Standards. Complete Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Engine Declaration Form 3520-21. For questions regarding the EPA Form and regulations call (734) 214-4100 or email them at imports@epa.gov.
Rates of Duty: Pleasure boats are generally dutiable when imported into the United States. The following duty rates apply to boats imported for recreational purposes:
-Sailboats and motorboats other than outboard motorboats: 1.5 percent
-Outboard motorboats: 1 percent
-Inflatable vessels: 2.4 percent
-Canoes: Free of duty
-Rowboats/other vessels not designed for use with motors or sails: 2.7 percent
Rates are subject to change; see Chapter 89 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTSUS) for changes.

You'll need an EPA certification document for the engine and pay duty, I believe duty is 1.5 % but I don't remember well so that may be wrong.

Does anyone have experience or know what import fees or taxes or duties are charged by US Customs when a US citizen purchases a used trawler in Canada and imports/brings it into th US?

My experience is going the other way, but the rules seemed to be the same. Duty rate was only published for one kind (new or used) of boat, so I assumed that meant it is the same for both. When I was at the border, the Canadian guys ignored the published duty completely and collected the fed sales tax only.
Check with your border guys to see if they actually collect duty on used boats, or is that saved for new boats.

It depends on the age of the engine whether or not the EPA fees apply.

Last year I imported a 1973 nimbus in from Sidney BC into US. Turned out to be supper easy. I paid the 1.5% took the paper work from the custom agents (Friday Harbor) to DMV and got a title. EPA requirements don't apply if machinery is built prior to a certain year. Custom Agents wanted proof of year produced via model number/make of the machinery. You can check with there website for more details.

What boat? Where was it built?

I like that engines over 21 years are known as antique...

Nimbus are built in Sweden. Still being made

factor in the 25% -/+ discount with the exchange and it's a good time to buy.
Although a boat originally built in US is easier to import

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom