Comparing Insurance coverages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I see several things wrong here. First, given that you are signing a contract that can ultimately protect or expose everything you have worked for in your life, taking the time to read and understand that contract is, to me, a common sense requirement.

Second, there are lots of good agents out there. I see positive references for folks all the time in this and other forums. Talk to one or more of them. Tell them what you need and expect from them. If you know nothing about insurance, make that clear to them and ask to be educated.

Now if you go into this with the attitude that anyone you talk to is trying to "trick" you, well, I think the problem isn't on their end but rather yours.

Yes, I agree. I really worded all of that incorrectly. Frustrations. Every time I think I have a little knowledge I get hit with another "What about?" piece. Some use one term (for example "consequential") others use another ("resulting"). Are they the same? Apparently so but I didn't know that. I will most certainly read the contract and try to understand what it says then ask questions. And of course all agents are not bad and out to trick me. Just some of them. Have to find one who isn't is all.

I really should be sent to my room. :)

Try contacting Jack Martin, Annapolis, MD I am insururing my 2206 Mainship 400, for $205,000 very good policy with Brit for $970 for the year.

Call Renee at 443-433-5751

Steve Iser
Sahara ll

Try contacting Jack Martin, Annapolis, MD I am insururing my 2206 Mainship 400, for $205,000 very good policy with Brit for $970 for the year.

Call Renee at 443-433-5751

Steve Iser
Sahara ll

Yes, Jack Martin Assocs. is who I am talking to.

A few comments. Read every page of the policy and understand all inclusions and exclusions. There are no shortcuts unless you have a risk management professional working for you and if you have high exposure not a bad idea to engage one. For most though, just read and educate.

Looking at the OP, depreciation and resulting or consequential damages both can be large.

I recommend using a marine broker but that doesn't relieve you of your need to study.

As to the comment of never knowing anyone to get hurt by being underinsured, it happens every day from auto accidents to home accidents to business events. Loss of life is what most easily leads to it. A 23 year old loses their life through a tragic accident on your boat, in your car or at your home and you are held responsible for their potential lifetime earnings. I'm personally aware of three people to be forced into bankruptcy or to lose everything they had saved as a result of being underinsured.

I know an elderly woman told that she only had about $100k net worth so no need to insure for more. She was sued for $50 million, the verdict was $3 million. She couldn't pay that but she did lose her life savings.

Don't know enough to say whether or not the reality of losses resulting of being underinsured are a wives tale but do know that I like to sleep at night so not for me. That is exactly the reason for this thread.

Getting to know more and more about the boat and now insurance to find that I am lacking on coverage that I should have. I have read and re-read my policy as well as a new one being offered. To someone who isn't used to reading insurance language it is a pain but necessary as are all of the resulting questions. But...I know more than I did prior to my frustrated response above.

From what I see, and am told, I lack consequential damages and currently have the depreciation clause. I have found a well known company/agent offering me more than my existing coverage plus consequential damages and minus the depreciation clause. All for about $100 more a year. Seems like money well spent. Bad news is I will have to have a new survey but I think it is worth it.

I appreciate everyone's comments and putting up with me.

Last edited:
we pay $985.00 CDN up here in Kingston, we have been with Intact for 30 years the 2 stipulations are it must be surveyed every 5 years, and must be on the hard for a minimum of 60 days a year, it's minus 32 C today so not hard to meet that requirment

Don't know enough to say whether or not the reality of losses resulting of being underinsured are a wives tale but do know that I like to sleep at night so not for me. That is exactly the reason for this thread.

Getting to know more and more about the boat and now insurance to find that I am lacking on coverage that I should have. I have read and re-read my policy as well as a new one being offered. To someone who isn't used to reading insurance language it is a pain but necessary as are all of the resulting questions. But...I know more than I did prior to my frustrated response above.

From what I see, and am told, I lack consequential damages and currently have the depreciation clause. I have found a well known company/agent offering me more than my existing coverage plus consequential damages and minus the depreciation clause. All for about $100 more a year. Seems like money well spent. Bad news is I will have to have a new survey but I think it is worth it.

I appreciate everyone's comments and putting up with me.

My Geico marine policy has a deperciation clause for boats older than 20 years of 10% per year.

Since my boat was built in 2001 I will have to deal with that year after next. My tactic will be to get ahold of their underwriting department and negotiate the removal of the depreciation language. It might cost me but that is an important exclusion. I am pretty sure I will be successful, but if for some reason I am not, at that point I’ll be taking my business elsewhere.

Negotiating with an insurer is not that difficult. All you have to do is ask. I have done it with my current policy removing a ice exclusion, which was unacceptable to me since I live in snow country and snow loading due to a sudden storm is a risk I am not willing to assume.

Remember that the insurance company wants your continued business as a good customer, and approach negotiations with that in mind.

My Geico marine policy has a deperciation clause for boats older than 20 years of 10% per year.

Since my boat was built in 2001 I will have to deal with that year after next. My tactic will be to get ahold of their underwriting department and negotiate the removal of the depreciation language. It might cost me but that is an important exclusion. I am pretty sure I will be successful, but if for some reason I am not, at that point I’ll be taking my business elsewhere.

Negotiating with an insurer is not that difficult. All you have to do is ask. I have done it with my current policy removing a ice exclusion, which was unacceptable to me since I live in snow country and snow loading due to a sudden storm is a risk I am not willing to assume.

Remember that the insurance company wants your continued business as a good customer, and approach negotiations with that in mind.

Here's where depreciation can hit you hardest. It's not in a whole boat loss where you should have a depreciated market value anyway. It's partial losses where you need to get new parts to replace old.

Here are some of the most common areas to look for on policies.

1. Market value or agreed fixed value. While market may seem fair, ultimately it's "whose market" and can be a matter of a great deal of contention deciding the depreciated value of the boat.

2. All risks. Simply what it says. Or are there exclusions? What about implied warranty of seaworthiness. Think of new boat, hull delamination as you cross to the Bahamas (think many Bertrams did this 10-20 years ago). Insurer says "not covered. We assumed it was seaworthy." In addition to seaworthiness, another issue often found is latent defects.

3. Deductibles for different things. We often discuss named storms but some policies have lower or no deductible for things like lightning or fire or even total losses. Get alternative deductibles quoted. We have $100 deductibles on our cars with $0 for Comprehensive deductible. Not because we wanted such low deductibles and not to file small claims but because the price was so little difference that if we filed one claim every ten years we'd come out ahead.

4. Depreciation or New for Old. If new parts are required for repair will the policy cover them or only pay portion due to depreciation.

5. Liability to third parties and for environmental.

6. Towing and salvage. Towing in the event of an accident falls under your insurance policy not a tow membership. Towing due to mechanical issues does not. However, towing and salvage can be large amounts quickly. Bad insurance can leave you hostage to the tow company. Also, in the case of a total loss, do you get full amount or do they pay salvage first and reduce your amount.

7. Areas of navigation. Also, operators who are covered. What about accidents on land such as dropping from travel lift.

Mr B - Very helpful. Thank you!

Here's where depreciation can hit you hardest. It's not in a whole boat loss where you should have a depreciated market value anyway. It's partial losses where you need to get new parts to replace old.

Here are some of the most common areas to look for on policies.

1. Market value or agreed fixed value. While market may seem fair, ultimately it's "whose market" and can be a matter of a great deal of contention deciding the depreciated value of the boat.

2. All risks. Simply what it says. Or are there exclusions? What about implied warranty of seaworthiness. Think of new boat, hull delamination as you cross to the Bahamas (think many Bertrams did this 10-20 years ago). Insurer says "not covered. We assumed it was seaworthy." In addition to seaworthiness, another issue often found is latent defects.

3. Deductibles for different things. We often discuss named storms but some policies have lower or no deductible for things like lightning or fire or even total losses. Get alternative deductibles quoted. We have $100 deductibles on our cars with $0 for Comprehensive deductible. Not because we wanted such low deductibles and not to file small claims but because the price was so little difference that if we filed one claim every ten years we'd come out ahead.

4. Depreciation or New for Old. If new parts are required for repair will the policy cover them or only pay portion due to depreciation.

5. Liability to third parties and for environmental.

6. Towing and salvage. Towing in the event of an accident falls under your insurance policy not a tow membership. Towing due to mechanical issues does not. However, towing and salvage can be large amounts quickly. Bad insurance can leave you hostage to the tow company. Also, in the case of a total loss, do you get full amount or do they pay salvage first and reduce your amount.

7. Areas of navigation. Also, operators who are covered. What about accidents on land such as dropping from travel lift.

I agree completely! The exclusions you mentioned can leave you without coverage when you need it the most.

A big one is in and out of the water coverage. As you mentioned dropping a boat from a travel lift, or a jack stand failure can total a boat, and if your policy has an exclusion out of thre water, or at a rear yard then you will not have coverage during these high risk activities.

BoatUS now uses Geico and their coverage, which used to be quite good, is now not so good.They depreciate what they will pay on non-total repairs at 10% per year pn older boats, up to 80%. So, on an older boat, they would pay $2,000 against a $10,000 repair bill. Yuck! When I discovered this after buying a BoatUS/Geico policy, I quickly found a broker who found me a policy with Merkel that, for a few more bucks per year, does not have that depreciation feature. Since a partial repair is far more likely than a total loss, this was a big deal for me.
Good luck
Oldersalt

You can get a 'Waiver of Depreciation Coverage' for very little $ from Boat US/ Geico that mostly eliminates this high depreciation.

Back
Top Bottom