Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #21
Senior Member
yachtbrokerguy's Avatar

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 483
The original poster does not mention where the boat was built. If it was built outside of North America, maybe Taiwan or China, then US import duty of 1.5% of current value may be due also. If it US built than an Entry needs to be made to US Customs as "US built return goods." There is no duty on Canadian built boats but the boat will still need to be entered with US Customs.
If US import duty was paid previously in the US, as it would if the original owner was in the US, then the boat was sold to a Canadian, that status of "Duty Paid" changes with where the last sale took place, in the US or Canada.
As others have suggested you need to get professional advice.

Tucker Fallon CPYB
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #22
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Country: US
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 815
Years ago I lived and commercial fished out of California. At the time, a boat bought outside of California and used for a period outside the state was exempt on sales tax. Documented vessels were exempt for personal property tax. I doubt with Jerry and his buddies running the state that's still true.
If it were me, I'd buy a boat that is documented and dock it in Oregon (no sales tax state) and later after whatever required period, move it to California. But if it was really me, I'd leave California, the once great state.
You'd probably have to sign a statement on the boats use. California doesn't have inspectors checking docks and boats out of state.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #23
MYTraveler's Avatar
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
California doesn't have inspectors checking docks and boats out of state.
Actually, in California, property tax is not collected by the state (so technically you are correct), but is instead collected by the respective county's Tax Collector. Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties each "walk the docs" in early January in an effort to find "out of state" boats that should be paying property tax.
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #24
Nomad Willy's Avatar
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,155
Even telephone poles have to pay tax in California.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #25
City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,856
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Even telephone poles have to pay tax in California.
Taxing trees is next on the agenda.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #26
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Taxing trees is next on the agenda.

Not yet but if they ever evolve to fart they'll tax them into extinction

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
Scary's Avatar
City: Walnut Grove Ca
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 887
Having been down this road

Staying in Oregon one year will exempt you from California use tax if you can establish that the boat was purchased for use in Oregon. Simply leaving it there is not enough. You'll be asked to produce cruising logs, fuel bills, maintenance receipts and berthing bills. In other words you will actually have to use the boat and prove it to be exempt from California use tax. Unsecured property tax is collected by local counties and that rate varies.Usually around 1% of the value established by the county. You get to say what you paid for the boat, but they check on boats similar sold in Ca. Painting Oregon on the transom doesn't cut it. Also if you pay to have physical work done on your boat in Washington it buys you another 6 months with out paying Washington use tax.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012