Is boating for the rich? Feeling dismayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone on this forum is far more wealthy than the majority of the world's population, but that doesn't mean you need to be rich to get into boating.

I have been building and buying my own boats since I was 8 years old. Starting with tying logs together on the Kootenay River in BC. , then saving my pocket money to buy a vinyl inflatable to shoot the rapids. I didn't get a power boat until I was 17 (for $100),
I finally splurged the cash on this boat, (almost 50K).

Does that mean I'm now rich?
Probably to many people.

And I feel richer for it, although not in a financial way.

"Beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

"Rich" is in the thought of the holder.

"Wealth" is in one's mind's eye.

"Love" rests in the heart.

"Hate" is consumed by darkness.

Personally... I feel beautifully wealthy - I love both those energies!

Boating of any sort tends to lead to good feelings and fun times of life.

It is my honor and pleasure to be a part of TF; surrounded by persons that for the most part believe in good thoughts and times.

That said: We all have our failings and should look to keep our glass half or more full with bright light consistently shown upon it... so others can enjoy it too!!

:thumb: :D

As long as you don't buy the Queen Mary, most people have the ability to maintain and operate a decent boat .

No, most people do not. Not most people in this country and certainly not most people in the world.

Looks like money is still being discussed as the definition of rich:banghead:

You can be poor and own a boat, probably would need a small set of hand tools and know how (or as I call it being resourceful or capable of reading). Oh wait, poor people are stupid...that is why they are poor. I guess boat ownership is out of the question then.

It can also be very rich, possess a boat / vessel and constantly pronounce words and make decisions that do not seem SMART...

No name for a boat make stupid!

NBs
billionaire-donald-trumps-yacht-trump-princess-is-moored-on-january-picture-id478446646

Last edited:
If one doesn't have a companion who uses your money to pay for nail jobs, hair jobs, and expensive shoes and handbags, one is more likely to have a thousand dollars of disposable income every month to maintain the average, modest trawler. ... One needs to make choices.

No, most people do not. Not most people in this country and certainly not most people in the world.

No shortage of incredibly poor people in other parts of the world enjoying waterfront property and living on boats.

So called smart/rich people go to the office each day to get some time off to do the same.
Some even pay silly money, proving that they are far from smart, to stay in a slightly better version of what the truly poor live in/on.

Thinking various "resort" boats/waterfront in Cambodjia, Vinnaland, Sabah, Pacific Islands.

Last edited:
If one doesn't have a companion who uses your money to pay for nail jobs, hair jobs, and expensive shoes and handbags, one is more likely to have a thousand dollars of disposable income every month to maintain the average, modest trawler. ... One needs to make choices.

Exactly.
In addition to that, in Australia, the median house is $500,000+
A decent liveaboard vessel can be had for a fraction of that cost.
I know plenty of house buying dirt dwellers crying poor thinking we must be rich for having what we have.

Cost of boating, depends upon whether you cruise full time (cheaper actually) or just for a couple of months a year. Also depends on whether the boat is stored or cruises in hurricane zones.

Storage for the eight months of the summer season in the Eastern Caribbean for a 42 ft boat is $6,500+ US, while the insurance if available for $200,000 hull value is $4,600+.
Our other expenses of cruising (not meals, clothes) cost another $10,000+. This is of course without major repairs and we have had some over the years (new tanks, new stabilizers, all new appliances).

The same boat stored in Georgia with a cruising geographic limitation of the US and Canada would cost $1,000- $2,000 less in storage and $2,000 less in insurance.
The other expenses would remain about the same.

Friends who cruise full time avoid the storage charges but don't use much more in fuel, and cruise so as to avoid the hurricane zone charges. Significant savings.

Last edited:
The annual cost differential between having the 45' boat to live aboard on the Great Lakes for three summer months versus staying in the dirt dwelling is about $14,000 (not counting fuel or depreciation). I do all routine maintenance including bottom paint. Add depreciation on the boat over the past ten years and it jumps to about $18,000 annually.

Last edited:
Wow, who dredged up this old post?

When I was dirt poor, I always had a boat. Admittedly, a modest boat, but always something suitable for coastal waters. It can be done. It's all about priorities.

... In addition to that, in Australia, the median house is $500,000+ ....
/QUOTE]

US or Aussie dollars?

If Aussie dollars, $500k = ~US$380K

Still not that cheap, but better.
The median Sydney house price is north of $1.1M. AUD of course. And that`s after prices eased/stabilized.

For one to live aboard at low cost , it can seldom be done in a marina.

However many marinas have anchorages that are quite easy on the wallet.

In expensive CT a mooring installed by the marina can be rented for $100 a month , that gives dink, parking, water fill and dumpster use.

If the folks can outfit the boat for a full live aboard lifestyle (easy with modern boat and RV gear) 3 seasons are easy.

A slip is best in winter , both for some electric and for ease of bringing food and fuel on board when the water is frozen.

In expensive CT a mooring installed by the marina can be rented for $100 a month

That would be he cheapest mooring I've ever heard of. For one thing, our season is effectively 6 months. I've never seen monthly rentals in CT or RI. Everyone either rents by the day (transient @ $35 -$65/day ($45/day is common)) or by the season.

I paid $3,200 for my mooring last season, though that is admittedly, very high.

$600 for the season was 20th century pricing for someone's backyard mooring.

Back on track with this thread. After two years of looking, I was happy with the Gulfstar 36’, my wife was happy with the Gulfstar 49. We compromised on a Gulfstar 44. A lovely boat to live on but uses a bit more fuel than the 36 and a bit more to handle. You and the admiral can work that one out. BTW the cost difference between a good 36 and a 49 is about $100k.
As far as advise on a purchase, look for good record keeping. Some one who took care of little issues before they were big ones. You want the PO to have had the wherewithal to properly maintain the boat your about to take over.
I told my wife when we were shopping for a boat not to look to much at aesthetics because those are the least costly things to change. We looked at a good layout and good “bones”. In our third year living aboard and we’re happy and haven’t killed each other. Our expenses have been for updates not much repairs. The only surprise was a heat exchanger on our generator. I could have done a Belzona repair but on a 30 year old boat I figured it best to get a new part while they’re still available. I paid someone to do this so I could pick their brain and learn how to maintain it and maybe do the next repairs myself.
As far as marinas go there are lots of different ways to keep in your budget. Floating docks with pump outs are nice but pricey here. Fixed docks without pumping are dramatically cheaper. We opted for fixed docks in a wonder and quiet place. We deal with tides using Tideminder balls. They work just great.
To deal with the lack of pump facilities we put in an MSD. Yes it’s an expense but a quick pay back on dock rent.
A final note, having the 44 we take it out less than we would a 36. OTOH we can be comfortable in more sporty weather in the 44.
Lots to think about. Best of luck in this endeavor, it’s well worth your while. Enjoy the path getting there. Don’t rush or stress.

There is an old expression in sailboats that you are already where you want to be instead of being on a power boat and always headed for a destination. [give or take a few words]

That's the way I see it. My wife is the same. While I no longer sail for fun, its not always about how big your boat is or what type of equipment or the new latest and greatest gizmo on the market. Of course you are limited to where you can go given many of these factors.

But being in a creek on a 24 footer, or what you can afford and watching the sun rise and set beats the hell out of being in an apartment in some high rise with the finest gold fixtures any day. We could be happy in a floating cardboard box, as long as its waterproof if that was all that we could afford.;)

I can relate to the OP for sure. I will probably have one of the smallest cruiser on here when I am done with it and it will be all paid for. I see tons of stuff that I would like to have. But that doesn't even bother me as I walk right by it.

It may not be what some consider the crème de la crème for sure. But we will be where we want to be upon launching. Wherever we end up it makes no nevermind either.

And as I stated in another thread a while back, there will be no box for receipts either. If I got to ask how much it costs, then I probably can't afford it, even if its a bag of ice. And we were just two old hourly working stiffs. You only go round one in life, and its a short journey to boot.

There is an old expression in sailboats that you are already where you want to be instead of being on a power boat and always headed for a destination. [give or take a few words]

That's the way I see it. My wife is the same. While I no longer sail for fun, its not always about how big your boat is or what type of equipment or the new latest and greatest gizmo on the market. Of course you are limited to where you can go given many of these factors.

But being in a creek on a 24 footer, or what you can afford and watching the sun rise and set beats the hell out of being in an apartment in some high rise with the finest gold fixtures any day. We could be happy in a floating cardboard box, as long as its waterproof if that was all that we could afford.;)

I can relate to the OP for sure. I will probably have one of the smallest cruiser on here when I am done with it and it will be all paid for. I see tons of stuff that I would like to have. But that doesn't even bother me as I walk right by it.

It may not be what some consider the crème de la crème for sure. But we will be where we want to be upon launching. Wherever we end up it makes no nevermind either.

And as I stated in another thread a while back, there will be no box for receipts either. If I got to ask how much it costs, then I probably can't afford it, even if its a bag of ice. And we were just two old hourly working stiffs. You only go round one in life, and its a short journey to boot.

+1

Price and cost are really not a warranty of pleasure and happiness.
My beloved wife and I just love so much to wake up in our favorite bay among goose, ducks and deers whatever our boat is, our budget is... it is just priceless.

L

Back
Top Bottom