Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #141
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. RB. Mr. BB raises a good point about making generalizations. Happiness is a state of mind, not the state of a bank account. I'm not rich nor do I begrudge those that are for the most part. Likewise I don't look down on those less fortunate than me. As Popeye says "I yam what I yam and that's ALL that I yam."
We are currently in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. When one enters Port Everglades one runs the gauntlet of uber yachts. 10 million here, 25 million there...it seems to go on for miles (actually only about 3 miles or so). Invariably, they are, seemingly, fully manned with crew, shining, buffing, maintaining with, what I could see, nary an owner in sight. Are these owners happy? Who knows but the crew are gainfully employed and happier, I suspect than not being employed. My only wish regarding these symbols of affluence is I would like a crew to do the same on our vessel. But...It is what it is my friend.

Whoops.....! Referring back to 'is boating for the rich..........

To précis what I said: no, the smaller the boat the more the fun, the rich and famous are miserable people; isolated, sad, lonely......!

In other words: be happy, get a small boat that makes you content.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #142
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I don't know...having my own helo aboard would be a lot of fun!!!

Anyone can be miserable....money can eliminate the nasty distractions easier....and certainly helps where it comes to Healthcare here in the US. (Probably anywhere)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #143

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
From my personal experience of people from all walks of life I would say this:

Just Like respect you can't buy happiness, but you can earn it.

If you're already happy, then you don't need much.

Rich people become isolated, lonely and sad; everything revolves around money.

The flip side of Zen:

if you take away a person's happiness,what have they got left that's worth anything?

I would modify that a bit. Happiness is the balance of hard work, self worth, time, money, family and friends. I have been government cheese and food stamp poor and 200$ steak rich and the happiest of times are those with the funds and time to enjoy my cruises with family and friends, knowing I worked hard and sacrificed to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #144
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
We are currently in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. When one enters Port Everglades one runs the gauntlet of uber yachts. 10 million here, 25 million there...it seems to go on for miles (actually only about 3 miles or so). Invariably, they are, seemingly, fully manned with crew, shining, buffing, maintaining with, what I could see, nary an owner in sight. Are these owners happy?
An interesting thing, RTF, is that while you immediately see the mega yachts because they are docked at the major marinas, if you puttered around the canals, for every mega yacht, you'd see thousands of smaller boats. On the average each canal probably has 100 boats and most under 50', many 25' center consoles. Even go to the marinas in the Dania cut off or far up New River, and you'll find thousands of smaller boats. Then there are the thousands of boats you won't see because they're on shelves in dry storage facilities. Those boats are generally under 40' and all under 50'. The mega yachts are immediately visible but not what the vast majority of those in the area own.

Now you will seldom see the owners around the mega yachts docked. When they join their boat wherever it might be, the boat generally heads out. Also, many of those are available for charter. Interesting too that many of those are moved by crew to Fort Lauderdale for winter and then to Antibes for summer cruising.

The owner of the largest boat I know personally has a 164'. Right now you'd see his at a dock in Washington. However, he's preparing to head to Japan and from there undecided. But the likelihood if his health allows is when we returns to Washington he'll be coming from the east, having circumnavigated. He's about 82 years old, a boat lover from the time he sold his first as a teen, then decided to build a few. Ok, a few hundred thousand ultimately as he did own a few boat builders along the way. But he's always kept a personal boat and been very active. In many ways, he has the trawler mentality of being on the water and now exploring new areas, just on a bit grander scale. Now he could afford one of the 250' and up yachts, but they're not the same to him.

The largest boat I've ever been on was 199'. I personally no longer felt in touch with the water. At the helm, I didn't feel like I was "driving" a boat. But then unlike one of our illustrious members here, I'm not interested in cruise ships either. To me it was like a large hotel on the water. Even at 15 knots you had to look at land to even feel like you were moving. However, the owner of that boat absolutely was an active boater before age and health led to him selling. Between 65 years old and 80 though he averaged at least 4 months a year cruising plus some short cruises in between entertaining friends.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #145
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I don't know...having my own helo aboard would be a lot of fun!!!

Anyone can be miserable....money can eliminate the nasty distractions easier....and certainly helps where it comes to Healthcare here in the US. (Probably anywhere)
I'm not suggesting becoming an ascetic and starving yourself.

But happiness is in a different compartment to wealth, and becoming happy is a different job of work to becoming rich.

They are two separate unconnected issues.

Could you be rich and happy? Rather....when you are already happy you don't need to be rich!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #146
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. Indeed, tens of thousands of vessels in the southeast of the US of all different shapes, sizes and condition. The larger vessels ARE impressive due to sheer size alone. You misquoted me slightly "Are these owners happy? Who knows. I would like to think that everyone, rich or poor is happy but it's not for me to decide. Bottom line is as I stated that happiness is a state of mind. I sense thread creep...
Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #147
Scraping Paint

City: -
I believe wealth can be the result of happiness but I don't believe happiness is the result of wealth.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #148
Guru

Happiness is a state of mind. It should be a goal, a pursuit in life. It should be the only goal parents have for their kids. And we should teach classes in high school and college, required for every student, in finding happiness and contentment in life.

Mine truly started the day I met my wife. She taught me. Sadly, my parents never understood. Their goals for me were a good education, well paying career (and I didn't pursue the one they wanted for me), and power. The emotional and mental state never entered into their equation. They were not wealthy, just middle class and I can only surmise always wanted that which they didn't have. Perhaps in their minds they wanted better for their son, but in reality they had no idea what better truly was. Had I followed the course in life they wished, pursued only that which they felt was important, I would have been absolutely miserable.

Boating isn't just for the wealthy and happiness isn't tied to any economic level. I would love boating if I was back on the lake in my first boat, a 19' Sea Ray. I love it in our 10' RIB.

Many often misquote and say "Money is the root of all evil." That's not how it reads at all. "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after ..... and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." Powerful words just as applicable today as when written.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #149
Guru

Quote:
I sense thread creep...
Rather minor creep as much of it is to the heart of the OP.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #150

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
They are two separate unconnected issues.
Agreed. But, you were the one connecting them.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #151
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I believe wealth can be the result of happiness but I don't believe happiness is the result of wealth.
But...
if you are already happy and content then it's unlikely that you would have a superyacht and private jet...

Because...
A super yacht and jet ain't necessary to be happy.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #152
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Agreed. But, you were the one connecting them.
No.
I'm saying that the rich and famous are unhappy because they are wealthy, not because they became wealthy.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #153
Guru

Quote:
But...
if you are already happy and content then it's unlikely that you would have a superyacht and private jet...

Because...
A super yacht and jet ain't necessary to be happy.
unless those were goals in life that you haven't reached yet.

argue thin air...and that may be all you get in return....

the debate of happiness has been around forever...many can't even define it or recognize it...thus so many therapists.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #154

City: Portsmouth, NH
This is funny! This type of conversation only occurs on the boating forum I am a part of. Every other type of sport forum I am in would have been within the first page:

Uh, yeah who cares? I'm going to go A) fix something B) build something C) take something and have fun with it

Looks like lots of people tied up on hating rich people who I guess are all miserable???
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #155
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Greetings,
Are these owners happy? ...It is what it is my friend.

Mr RT, thanks for reminding me of Popeye. "I ain't no physikist, but I knows what matters".

Popeye - I Yam What I Yam - Robin Williams Shelley Duvall - YouTube
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #156
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
David Lee Roth said it best. Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.

In our case a 50 year old 27' yacht is big enough

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #157

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Maybe some wealthy people are unhappy, but I haven't met them. Some of our friends are ridiculously wealthy and happy as can be. We are not wealthy, not even a little rich, but as happy as our friends. One sails a Nordhaven, very nice, but doesn't look down on our CHB. We both like our own boats and we both own our own boats. Mine cost $75,000, theirs cost about $900,000. We also have some acquaintances who are wealthy but don't hang out with the hoi poloi. Their loss. Everybody has different circumstances, but almost everybody has the ability to be happy within their circumstances.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #158
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
Maybe some wealthy people are unhappy, but I haven't met them. Some of our friends are ridiculously wealthy and happy as can be. We are not wealthy, not even a little rich, but as happy as our friends. One sails a Nordhaven, very nice, but doesn't look down on our CHB. We both like our own boats and we both own our own boats. Mine cost $75,000, theirs cost about $900,000. We also have some acquaintances who are wealthy but don't hang out with the hoi poloi. Their loss. Everybody has different circumstances, but almost everybody has the ability to be happy within their circumstances.
Looking at these scenarios:
A)I'm wealthy, I'm a member of an expensive country club, all my friends are wealthy too.

B)I'm poor, I live in a trailer park, all my friends are ordinary people.

Role play :
The wealthy guy loses all his money.
The poor guy makes a fortune.

The result:
A)All My old friends cross over the street to avoid me now that I'm poor and can't afford the $250k/ year sub for the club.

B)I'm rich now and have lots of nice new friends at the country club. Now I'm wealthy I've become very popular, but I haven't had time to hook up with my old mates down at the local pub, I never see them anymore.

The question :
Who has the genuine friends?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #159
Guru

Quote:
Looking at these scenarios:
A)I'm wealthy, I'm a member of an expensive country club, all my friends are wealthy too.

B)I'm poor, I live in a trailer park, all my friends are ordinary people.

Role play :
The wealthy guy loses all his money.
The poor guy makes a fortune.

The result:
A)All My old friends cross over the street to avoid me now that I'm poor and can't afford the $250k/ year sub for the club.

B)I'm rich now and have lots of nice new friends at the country club. Now I'm wealthy I've become very popular, but I haven't had time to hook up with my old mates down at the local pub, I never see them anymore.

The question :
Who has the genuine friends?
you can rig any question....as I posted before...thin air gets you just that.

My ex nearly bankrupted me after being in that well off crowd for quite a few years....

My friends stuck by me like glue when I short sold 4 houses and bought a cheap boat to live on.

One let me care take his farm for 3 winters for absolutely free while I built back and bought my boat. They were devastated when I told them I was cruising south for the winter.

Happy? Try to put it in a box, then open that box....thin air.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #160
Guru

Quote:
No.
I'm saying that the rich and famous are unhappy because they are wealthy, not because they became wealthy.
Wifey B: So glad that line of crap doesn't fit me because I'm not famous. Infamous maybe....

I must be miserable though being out with my super rich girl friend today in her boat. Her family makes us look like paupers although she never acts that way. I just told her she was unhappy and she...um...ok, I won't say what she did or said.

I'm so glad I never knew I was supposed to be unhappy. I might have been miserable then.

Maybe the fact I grew up in poverty is why I'm not unhappy.

Darn, your illogic gives me a headache...

So, just wondering now, if I'm so unhappy and when you are you go buy stuff...what should I go shopping for? I mean like I hadn't planned to go shopping until reading all this.

I know what my people are thinking tonight
As home through the shadows they wander
Everyone smiling in secret delight
They stare at the castle and ponder
Whenever the wind blows this way
You can almost hear everyone say

I wonder what the king is doing tonight?
What merriment is the king pursuing tonight?
The candles at the court, they never burned as bright
I wonder what the king is upto tonight?

How goes the final hour as he sees his bridal bower
Being regally and legally prepared?
Well, I'll tell you what the king is doing tonight
He's scared, he's scared

You mean that a king who fought a dragon
Hacked him in two and fixed his wagon
Goes to be wed in terror and distress? Yes

A warrior who's so calm in battle
Even his armor doesn't rattle
Faces a woman petrified with fright? Right

You mean that appalling clamoring
That sounds like a blacksmith hammering
Is merely the banging of his royal knees? Please

You wonder what the king is wishing tonight?
He's wishing he were in Scotland fishing tonight
What occupies his time while waiting for the bride?
He's searching high and low for some place to hide

And oh, the expectation, the sublime anticipation
He must feel about the wedding night to come
Well, I'll tell you what the king is feeling tonight
He's numb, he shakes, he quails, he quakes
And that's what the king is doing tonight