Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #261
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
In expensive CT a mooring installed by the marina can be rented for $100 a month , that gives dink, parking, water fill and dumpster use.
Where in CT?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #262
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

In expensive CT a mooring installed by the marina can be rented for $100 a month
That would be he cheapest mooring I've ever heard of. For one thing, our season is effectively 6 months. I've never seen monthly rentals in CT or RI. Everyone either rents by the day (transient @ $35 -$65/day ($45/day is common)) or by the season.

I paid $3,200 for my mooring last season, though that is admittedly, very high.

$600 for the season was 20th century pricing for someone's backyard mooring.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #263

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
Back on track with this thread. After two years of looking, I was happy with the Gulfstar 36’, my wife was happy with the Gulfstar 49. We compromised on a Gulfstar 44. A lovely boat to live on but uses a bit more fuel than the 36 and a bit more to handle. You and the admiral can work that one out. BTW the cost difference between a good 36 and a 49 is about $100k.
As far as advise on a purchase, look for good record keeping. Some one who took care of little issues before they were big ones. You want the PO to have had the wherewithal to properly maintain the boat your about to take over.
I told my wife when we were shopping for a boat not to look to much at aesthetics because those are the least costly things to change. We looked at a good layout and good “bones”. In our third year living aboard and we’re happy and haven’t killed each other. Our expenses have been for updates not much repairs. The only surprise was a heat exchanger on our generator. I could have done a Belzona repair but on a 30 year old boat I figured it best to get a new part while they’re still available. I paid someone to do this so I could pick their brain and learn how to maintain it and maybe do the next repairs myself.
As far as marinas go there are lots of different ways to keep in your budget. Floating docks with pump outs are nice but pricey here. Fixed docks without pumping are dramatically cheaper. We opted for fixed docks in a wonder and quiet place. We deal with tides using Tideminder balls. They work just great.
To deal with the lack of pump facilities we put in an MSD. Yes it’s an expense but a quick pay back on dock rent.
A final note, having the 44 we take it out less than we would a 36. OTOH we can be comfortable in more sporty weather in the 44.
Lots to think about. Best of luck in this endeavor, it’s well worth your while. Enjoy the path getting there. Don’t rush or stress.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #264

City: SOBX North Carolina
There is an old expression in sailboats that you are already where you want to be instead of being on a power boat and always headed for a destination. [give or take a few words]

That's the way I see it. My wife is the same. While I no longer sail for fun, its not always about how big your boat is or what type of equipment or the new latest and greatest gizmo on the market. Of course you are limited to where you can go given many of these factors.

But being in a creek on a 24 footer, or what you can afford and watching the sun rise and set beats the hell out of being in an apartment in some high rise with the finest gold fixtures any day. We could be happy in a floating cardboard box, as long as its waterproof if that was all that we could afford.

I can relate to the OP for sure. I will probably have one of the smallest cruiser on here when I am done with it and it will be all paid for. I see tons of stuff that I would like to have. But that doesn't even bother me as I walk right by it.

It may not be what some consider the crème de la crème for sure. But we will be where we want to be upon launching. Wherever we end up it makes no nevermind either.

And as I stated in another thread a while back, there will be no box for receipts either. If I got to ask how much it costs, then I probably can't afford it, even if its a bag of ice. And we were just two old hourly working stiffs. You only go round one in life, and its a short journey to boot.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #265
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
There is an old expression in sailboats that you are already where you want to be instead of being on a power boat and always headed for a destination. [give or take a few words]

That's the way I see it. My wife is the same. While I no longer sail for fun, its not always about how big your boat is or what type of equipment or the new latest and greatest gizmo on the market. Of course you are limited to where you can go given many of these factors.

But being in a creek on a 24 footer, or what you can afford and watching the sun rise and set beats the hell out of being in an apartment in some high rise with the finest gold fixtures any day. We could be happy in a floating cardboard box, as long as its waterproof if that was all that we could afford.

I can relate to the OP for sure. I will probably have one of the smallest cruiser on here when I am done with it and it will be all paid for. I see tons of stuff that I would like to have. But that doesn't even bother me as I walk right by it.

It may not be what some consider the crème de la crème for sure. But we will be where we want to be upon launching. Wherever we end up it makes no nevermind either.

And as I stated in another thread a while back, there will be no box for receipts either. If I got to ask how much it costs, then I probably can't afford it, even if its a bag of ice. And we were just two old hourly working stiffs. You only go round one in life, and its a short journey to boot.

+1

Price and cost are really not a warranty of pleasure and happiness.
My beloved wife and I just love so much to wake up in our favorite bay among goose, ducks and deers whatever our boat is, our budget is... it is just priceless.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote