Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #221

City: Richmond
Vessel Name: Aurora
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Boaters need lots of disposable income. Disposable income for boating can be increased by spending less on non-boating activities as in the areas of housing, automobiles, clothing (including shoes and handbags), dining, and so on. In my instance, once the kids' college educations were paid for, boating became more affordable.
I think that the "Great Recession" with lots of older boats being abandoned at marinas and tales of mysterious sinkings showed what happens when disposable income disappears. My parents went from a three thousand dollar wooden sloop and continued with bigger and better sailboats over the years. They certainly weren't rich but it was a high priority for them. I think that a wealthy person might own an expensive yacht and only use it a couple of times a year. My sense is that most of us, on this forum - wealthy or not, aren't like that.

The biggest surprise with my boat ownership was the ongoing costs associated with it. As long as my wife and I keep using our boat and staying on it as often as we do those costs are just the dues we pay to enjoy the great boating life.

I may not have read every earlier post so I apologize if I'm being redundant

Jeff
Boont Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #222
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I started with my daddy in a boat he built himself in or about 1954. 11' plywood with a 1949 2.5HP Evinrude. Used that boat for nigh on 30 years. Still have very fond memories. First "big" boat (34' wood) cost us $8K.
Wifey B: Oh RTF, I just love hearing your stories from ancient times....
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #223
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 AM   #224
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Most people grow into boating. They may start on a lake or in a protected area, buy a small used boat for $10,000 and use it for their young family to enjoy. May trailer it. Cost of ownership low as they use it 40 hours a year. Then they may buy their first new boat as they get a bit more money, maybe $30-40,000. Then more may come after the kids are through college.

And for the 3.6 million making minimum wage or less even in this country, a boat is the furthest thing from their mind. Nor are the 8.7 million unemployed thinking about boating.
BB - Got stats on the bold areas in your last paragraph? I feel those numbers may be way low. But, you are very correct... in that, "... a boat is furthest thing from their mind."

Boaters are blessed in several parameters, a couple are:

1. We all have some level of free-spend cash.

2. We're Boaters - for - intermittent pleasures, or live aboard for pleasure!

Wonder what %age of world population are pleasure boaters? Maybe .001?

Whatever the % number - We're part of a blessed, select group for sure!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #225
Guru

City: Tampa
Very inspiring story Portuguese, and thank you for sharing it with us.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #226

City: Portsmouth, NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I'll change that to a "nope".
Looks like money is still being discussed as the definition of rich

You can be poor and own a boat, probably would need a small set of hand tools and know how (or as I call it being resourceful or capable of reading). Oh wait, poor people are stupid...that is why they are poor. I guess boat ownership is out of the question then.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #227
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Looks like money is still being discussed as the definition of rich

You can be poor and own a boat, probably would need a small set of hand tools and know how (or as I call it being resourceful or capable of reading). Oh wait, poor people are stupid...that is why they are poor. I guess boat ownership is out of the question then.
I like your viewpoint.
I agree that we can be "rich" and "broke" at the same time. BTDT
"Wealthy" might be another thing LOL.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #228
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #229

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Post 199 brings an interesting ( to me) thought. I have never in my life been employed by a poor man. I like the "rich" by default, I suppose. Beats the hell out of starving.
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #230

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Every wonder why you can go to a grocery store and get an on the spot flu shot free of charge paid for by your medical plan?
Stupid me. I always thought it was because it helps to protect people from the flu. But now, thanks to you (post 193), I know the real reason! The rich people are trying to kill all of us common folks!

What a bunch of a$$holes!
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #231
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Stupid me. I always thought it was because it helps to protect people from the flu. But now, thanks to you (post 193), I know the real reason! The rich people are trying to kill all of us common folks!
To add to this thought, I know middle class people who get their flu shots at the pharmacy in Safeway, and I know multi-millionaires who get their flu shots at the pharmacy in Safeway. You'd think if the multi-millionaires were trying to kill off the common folk, they'd know better than to get their flu shots at the pharmacy. Go figure.....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #232

OH MY GOD I got mine at SafeWay last year.... How long do you think I have. Need to clean out the bilge before I go. Would not want next owner to think i was a slob.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #233
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbuddie View Post
OH MY GOD I got mine at SafeWay last year.... .
Well, you're toast apparently.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:15 PM   #234

In the words of Gordon Lightfoot--"Fella's it's been good to know yuhHHHHH!!!"
Old 04-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #235
FF
Guru

"The rich people are trying to kill all of us common folks!"

A common idea . " A Modest Proposal"
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #236
Veteran Member

City: Chicago
Yes, boating is expensive. However, lots of people enjoy boating and cruising on a tight budget. Just be prepared for the unexpected expensives. Also remember no one lives forever. I met a couple this summer doing the loop. They noticed thier friends were passing away, they went out brought a boat and started their loop adventure. No, homework, no experience just went out and did it.
Bigal6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #237
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Is boating for rich? Depends what you mean by rich and what you expect from boating.
I doubt boating is for people earning the bare minimum for sure but at the same time you don’t need to be millionaire.
I got my first boat last year for the price of a decently nice car ( and not a luxury car). Sure it is not a shining prince’s yacht but I enjoy boating aboard.
Do I feel rich, honestly yes, more than 90% of people in the whole world. Am I rich like millionaire, certainly not. I am just working and lucky enough to earn a fair amount of money that allow me to enjoy life as much as I can but without being a golden boy.
So is boating for the rich, I don’t think so, but is it accessible to anybody, again I don’t think so.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #238

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
If you can find a good boat that will serve your needs (I would suggest 40 ft. to 50 ft. range - stabilized) and that boat is not financed and you can do some of you own maintenance and repair work, cruising on $5000 per month income should be no problem. My wife and I cruised the west coast of California and into southern Mexico for 12 years on a 48 ft. stabilized Hatteras LRC. We came across many boaters who where cruising for far less money than you will have. Some sold everything to do that but they were cruising and having a great time. You mentioned boats having $70,000 worth of electronics - they must have had every imaginable toy known to mankind on their vessels. We had a SSB / Ham radio, 50 mile radar, two depth sounders, a Chart Plotter, two mounted VHF radios, a hand held radio and a backup hand held GPS. Total cost for under $10,000. Go for it.

The Avatar is our LRC sitting at anchor off of Isla Isabella which is about 1/2 way between Mazatlán and San Blas on the Mexican mainland west coast.
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #239
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
If you are not at least what most poor people would consider rich than owning a boat will soon make you what most rich people would consider poor.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #240
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There use to be a saying about having to keep up with the Joneses. Yachting has many of those people. Too many others worry about seen as inferior because they didn't buy the best or most expensive. Yacht builders and other businesses that cater to yachties play on that feeling.
A lot of fun is out there on the water and living aboard is even better. I don't give a f--- what people think. I buy boats and marine products that suit me and my current boat. But then I come form the commercial side.
As long as you don't buy the Queen Mary, most people have the ability to maintain and operate a decent boat and shouldn't worry about buying the most expensive, overpriced marine items some people buy. Usually those items are available somewhere else for a lot less money.
There will always be people with more money than brains. Makes me wonder how they got the money.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote